ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cold start/idle issue

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Wondering if anyone can help...

I have a Clio 172 phase2, however I am struggling to get to the bottom of a recent problem.

When the car is cold, it struggles to idle and the revs bounce up and down and if you use the throttle then back off the revs drop down and 9 times out of 10 it will cut out. Once the car is up to temperature it runs without fault, but cold starts are becoming a headache.
However, the blanked off vacuum pipe that runs down to the acoustic valve behind the headlight has a screw in the end, when I remove this screw then the engine idles correctly and smooth. No dipping revs when backing off the throttle and performance seems fine however I have now introduced a vacuum leak - so it shouldn't run better! Any thoughts?

It's as if an old car with a choke doesn't have it engaged, however it has the later style throttle body that has no separate idle control valve, could the throttle body cause cold start idle issues? I've removed it and cleaned it - but made no difference. What's in the black plastic cover?

I have been working my way through the car replacing components with genuine Renault parts, have replaced the following:

MAP sensor, Inlet air temp sensor, Coolant temp sensor, TDC sensor, coil pack, ht leads, spark plugs and inlet gaskets. Also carried out a coolant change and replaced the pre-cat lambda with a Bosch sensor (tested and working). Car has a de-cat fitted. No fault codes stored, no warning lights on dash.

The problem was getting worse, and I thought a coolant temp sensor change improved the problem but it only lasted a few days before going back to how it was before. Temp gauge inside is working as it should, and reaching temp. Have checked wiring and it all seems fine, and have also checked the main earth down to the gearbox / fuses and relays.

Thanks guys :)

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Another thing I've noticed is that the ECU does not have it's metal case, nor does it have the bracket that runs from the case down to the front slam panel. Anyone know what this bracket is for? Is it an earth? Or is the ECU earthed in a more direct way?

renault clio 1.4 16v
you have replaced all the usual culprits, although i had a similar problem from the coil packs not making proper contact with the plugs, take a look at the contacts on the spark plugs and see if theres any sign of arcing or melting, if there is change em and clean the leads and make sure that they are getting good contact, if I was you id also get a obd reader and have a look at live data, could be a sensor thats not reading right even though you have changed the key ones already...

Injectors?? Mine had a failing injector that caused a really low, rough idle. Ok at temp and speed but really lumpy at traffic lights. Could it be the be vac leak is allowing more air into the mix and compensating for a lack fuel... Just a thought, probably something completely different!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Start with a proper diagnostic session, rather than just replace parts mate. A good session with someone who knows what they're looking at will be able to tell you what's actually going on and what is most likely causing it.

Mick

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
I have a obd scanner, no fault codes stored.
And I wanted to replace the sensors and parts anyway to future proof the car, for peace of mind. Live data showed the lambda wasn't reading within its limits, so replaced that, and also that the CTS was reading too warm from initial start up too quickly, new genuine one is much better,

Anyway... tried a second hand throttle body which was has sorted it. Guessing the idle control part of the old TB was at fault, new one has been fitted and reset/setup and after a 45 minute drive yesterday and after re-fitting my new TDC sensor again (was swapped yesterday when testing various things) it performed faultlessly. Idle is now where it should be, revs are smooth and it doesn't fall back when you come off the throttle, it drops smoothly not at a fast pace as before. All vacuum pipes now capped, so no leaks.

So fingers crossed that's the end of my idle problems.