ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

COLD WEATHER LOW MPG ?

Clio 182
Any body else noticed that now the temperature is dropping that their MPG's are dropping?

I drive a 182 and have been used to getting 33-35 MPG over a full tank normal town driving etc. Since this down fall in temp mine has dropped right down, today its at 29.4. Now i just had a full serivce and Mot so I should hope there are no issues!

Anyone else experience this?

Cayman S Edition 1
I put it down to bad traffic and my car idling for 5min each morning while I de-ice it.

When the engine is cold iv been getting about 28, but once in the stride of the journey it goes back to normal.

Most cars do it, def in this cold!

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Probably to do with the use of the climate control and blasting the windows to de-mist the windscreen contribute to low MPG as well.

Focus ST
I get in my car, drive to work and park up.... engine is still on 1/4 on the temp guage

Get crap mpg on short cold journeys like that

lift number 1 @ btm
also cold air is denser so will need more fuel to keep the ratio correct.

don't know if it would show on the mpg.

a lot of people comment on how their car seems to pull harder on crisp mornings though.

FPOS Productions™ 172 FR
yeah, MPG down,.....

not too bothered now the price of fuel has dropped, plus cold air is Goooooood..:)

182 Trophy (#27/500)
sounds like the weather does have an effect. I hadnt really noticed but now u mention it....i just put it down to bad traffic and maybe having the fan on in the car more but im not sure if that wil affect it?

Tav

Clio 197
Lots of factors that'll increase MPG in winter. One example is your car has a cold start map correction, when it's cold the engine needs more fuel to fire and idle. So until it is up to temp it'll be using more fuel.

My MPG varies from day-to-day depending on time I go out, how much traffic there is and the type of driving...I just tend to ignore it. Hasn't gone below 26mpg yet, that's better than my Audi so I'm happy!

Cro

Meg'd r27
Im down to 27mpg but I have stopped looking at it so it doesn't bother me any longer.... not far from vee mpg territory :eek:

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Check your tyre pressures, air contracts when cold, so in effect lowers the PSI in the tyres. Mine have got noticably 'squashy' in the cold, so put a few more PSI's in; could have an effect.

lift number 1 @ btm
yup, true.

have to say though, i tend to run slightly softer pressures once the weather gets s**t. same as a "wet" setup.

*did you get the stickers by the way joe?*

BMW F21 125d
Im doing 1.5 mile journeys, twice a day, and having it running before i get in it to defrost it, twice a day, and i've gone from 31 to 19.5mpg. gutted.

ST
Air is more dense (like some club members) when its winter/colder therefore better combustion hence lower MPG.

DONE.

LOCK NOW.

Tav

Clio 197
Im doing 1.5 mile journeys, twice a day, and having it running before i get in it to defrost it, twice a day, and i've gone from 31 to 19.5mpg. gutted.

1.5 mile run and letting your car idle on start up...it's going to hate you!

How about walking?

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
No wonder you're only getting low mpg! The car isnt getting up to temperature on short runs all the time. This time of year the car will use a lot more fuel until its fully warm. Its a good idea to add some distance to your journey to get the car warmed up. At least once a week take it for a decent run to get the brakes up to temp and give the engine chance to get rid of the crap that will build up when driving it short distances in very cold weather. also use V Power or similar.

BMW F21 125d
I know my tiny journeys are eating my MPG, I took it out on a good 50 mile run today and its back to 30 on average on the tank, I always run on Super. Need to check my tyre pressures too.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Mines no different TBH, i don't let it warm up, just get in and drive.

DCi
I thought I was suffering from cold weather MPG but then I realised my Dad has been asking for VAT receipts of a certain amount so I have only been filing up to 90%

no wonder I am not doing as many miles per tank as usual...duhhhhhh