ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Comical RUK Response

Clio 200
picked up a puncture on my back passenger tyre today whilst going round a bend at 50ish mph on the motorway. Back of the car stepped out corrected it and managed to get the car off the motorway and into my work in one piece.

Phones the RAC out to do a puncture repair to find that whatever caused the puncture had went in the top of the tyre and out the sidewall so new tyre needed :( great. Guy phones kwik fit who quote something crazy like £200 for a new conti sport 3. asked him to leave it sitting on an axel stand and I will go get a new tyre and give him a shout when I have done it. I work for Aviva and RAC is part of us so guys always in and out our office. old man comes up picks up my tyre takes it down to our local place new tyre on and £130 lighter.

I went out to the car for a split second thought I will just put the wheel on and take the axel stand into the office and he can pick it up when he is next in. but no, no jack in the boot so had to phone him to come out and fit my wheel because i couldnt get the car off the axel stand.

Phoned RUK do these 200's come with a jack or not? if so i am going to have a go at the dealer i bought it from. and the response i got was "no we dont supply jacks to save weight"

WTF? Does that mean I need to go on a diet to make the car faster? give me a jack ffs so I can at least keep some pride and change a wheel. Rant over and would be intrested to see if nayone else got a jack

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Nope. Only standard versions come with a jack. Cup/cupped ones don't

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
They have been doing it with the sports for a while.

Has it got the Cup chassis ?

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
Yup, I remember reading that. No jack in the cup version or if you add the cup option.

tiTTy & SV650
I'm sorry but you should know if you have a jack / spare tyre etc really before you set out.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
I had to use the renault jack the other month, id have been better of trying to use pipe cleaners to jack the car up :mad:

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
I got a free jack thrown in with my car (it's a Cup) I refused to take it away without one :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
what makes me laugh is you still get a wheel brace! So you can undo the bolts???

Clio 200
I'm sorry but you should know if you have a jack / spare tyre etc really before you set out.

I knew no spare wheel however Was not made aware of no jack and a bit of stupidity really I never bothered to check.

Why give me a wheel brace to take off the bolts if I cant get the damn wheel off without a jack? i can see the point (to a certain extent) of not carrying a spare wheel but to omit the jack is crazy.

And Im sure you would be equally raging if it happened to you and you werent so lucky to get it sorted,

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
I must admit you are 90% to blame for just assuming and not checking until you needed it ;)

Barge
And the foam can ruin a perfectly repairable tyre, so I read.

I just keep a tyre inflator in the boot..

That's what I used to do with the 197. Mind something going in and ripping out the side wall doesn't sound like he could've driven much of a distance on it.

PS 200
You need a jack to put the foam in the tyre so it's useless anyway
No you dont.

The stuff seems to "inflate" the tyre even if you have no jack and it's a flat as a pancake.

Mind you - it fcuks the tyre and you have to get a new one - no repair once you've used the foam !

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Jasey said:
No you dont.

The stuff seems to "inflate" the tyre even if you have no jack and it's a flat as a pancake.

Mind you - it fcuks the tyre and you have to get a new one - no repair once you've used the foam !
The instructions on the can say you do, and when safetys concerned I'd rarther follow it...

All though no doubt it will work, luckily iv had no chance to find out :eek:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
No you dont.

I was ready to call you an idiot, but looking around you're right! The foam expands once in, seals the puncture.

PS 200
The instructions on the can say you do, and when safetys concerned I'd rarther follow it...

All though no doubt it will work, luckily iv had no chance to find out :eek:
Same here - but a pal had a flat and the fooker that sold her the car had half inched the jack. The 200 Jack seems to only fit the 200 - her Clio Diesel was either gonna be left or the foam was going in.

Was actually quite impressed with the stuff - until we found out it fooked the tyre :(.

Must get a spacesaver spare - anyone know where they can be got ?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Bit of a bad idea not having a jack really. Albeit you could say the same about not having a spare.

The 172Cup had no spare wheel , but had the jack etc, and that was supposed to be THE weight saving car!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i dont really see the problem, ok so it doesnt come with a spare wheel due to the fact that it has a diffuser and twin exhaust, plus a 17" steely would weigh a tonne so why would you want a jack when you have no wheel to change over?

at the end of the day a jack is a tool, you need it to change over the wheels but you also need tools to change over the brakes, exhaust, or any other parts of the car, dont see people moaning that their clios done come with a full socket set and spanners ;)

1/ You do have to jack the car up to use the foam properly. Been there before. Unless they've changed the foam/dispenser and started supplying an inflator like other cars seem to come with.

2/ It doesn't ruin the tyre. That's a bullshit myth spread about by tyre fitters. It can be cleaned out. Been there before as well. Not acepting no for an answer FTW.

Yup. They just don't want to do it. Seen it done with my own eyes on my own trye.

Unless of course the formulation is different now, which is possible considering people are saying you don't have to jack the car up.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Aye i was wondering about the needing a jack to put tyre foam in, i assumed you needed to spray it in then move the car forwards slowly to make it even out within the tyre...?

You're meant to jack it up, position the puncture at the bottom. Squirt the s**t in, then spin the wheel a few times.

IIRC.

Fair enough. I guess something has changed then. I know I've tried it on my 182 without jacking the car up, and it did the sum total of f**k all.