ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Common Cause

Clio v6

What in your opinion is the most common cause of Break Squealing ?

My dealer says " Your brakes will squeal Sir, it is common for Renault brakes to squeal"

Im no expert but I cant help thinking this is utter bull. I have bought a new car almost every year for the past 10 years, and never had this common problem even on my last Renault.

So is this standard Renault trait just a 2002 introduction? I know car manufacturers like to be different, but this is not a great advertising ploy

" Our cars will squeal like no other"

Well the pads on the V6 will be quite a hard compound, this could account for this. In the exterior forum i explained a few reasons to Tomclio how brake squealing occurs and the solutions. Ill try and find it for you.

-Rob

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well ok, ill go through all the possibles.

The squeaking is caused pad vibrating against the rotors, to avoid this they are clipped or glued or crimped to the caliper to reduce it, therefore the pad might not be fixed on properly!

Also brake dust and other sh*t can clog up areas which might prevent 100% contact with the pads and causes squeaking. Easy solution is to spray it all down with water though ideally you need to scrape all the channels clean, be careful though, inhaling brake dust is very dangerous!! Would probably have to take pads and calipers off as well.

The only other thing is the glazing which is what ive mentioned already.

Cant think of anything else mate.

-Rob

have you checked the pads at all?

all pads now have the slit down teh middle, when this is worn, it not only gives you a visual indicator, but an audio one. The gap now gone, leads to to vibrations which makes the pad squeel........

glaze doesnt squeel, it whirrs.....

but you could try filing the leading edge to prevent further squeel as rob says.

2012 WRX Waggon

do anti squeal shims still exist?

I my distant past when working on my moggy marina I remember anti squeal shims and a dab of copperslip on the back of the pad.....or was it just a bad dream?????:confused:

Clio v6

Just spoken to service dept,. They have cleaned up the pads and they cant here a squealing now.

New pads just for the front are £200 . They heard me squealing no problems!

As it kind of suggests on that link, some squeaking is always going to be there when you have fast cars because of the type of pads they use, thats why touring cars make a really noisy squeal when they come to a halt.

all anti squeal shims do is move the squeal into a higer frequency the new frequency is one that makes dogs explode instead :D

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 13 February 2003

all anti squeal shims do is move the squeal into a higer frequency the new frequency is one that makes dogs explode instead :D
LMAO

Astra 1.9cdti XP

"Your brakes will squeal Sir, it is common for Renault brakes to squeal"

They do come out with some crap dont they, they should also say...

"yes sir it is common for all Renaults to rattle and for parts to fall off"