ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Company of Heroes - one for fans of Dawn of War

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It doesn't take an Einstein to realise that the same team (Relic & THQ, iirc) who made WH40K Dawn of War, have made Company of Heroes.

I've only had a quick go of the tutorials so far, but initial impressions are very good indeed. It's based on a WW2 setting, but the capture of command points, etc is very similar to DoW. In fact, it feels very similar to DoW, but a lot better, somehow. Scenery can be destroyed, placement of units can be determined more accurately with a coloured cover marker (green = heavy cover, yellow = light cover, red = exposed) and the game appears to grab a fair amount of resources too.

On my dual core setup, it was using between 75-80% CPU on both cores and sat at 82% memory usage of the 2GB. Clearly, the better spec you have, the more it will use. I'll try and post up some screenies today... :cool:

http://www.companyofheroesgame.com/

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just being lazy - I've nabbed these from their website....

img_13.jpg

img_21.jpg

img_20.jpg

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Haha! Feck me - it's bloody hard! Either that, or I'm just total sh1t at it! :eek: :D

Even on a 1v1 skimish vs an Easy CPU player - I'm getting totally owned. Each game seems to follow a pattern. I do really well for the first 15mins, then the CPU player just attacks from three directions and I'm just on rearguard until it defeats me. I just never seem to get enough resources to start building structures and units effectively.

Some really, really annoying bits in it too. Like flamethrower tanks taking ages to take out infantry at point-blank range. The armour units can be think-as-mince at times too. Rather than just moving to a point you click on, it's like they are in the middle of a Driving Test and proceed to do 3-point turns. Just move, dammit! ;)

Certainly worth imo - especially if you're familiar with (and like) the game style of Dawn of War.

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone finished this yet? The Campaign mode is much, much better than the Skirmish one. Just getting a bit bogged-down on that mission where you defend Hill 317 (?) from the Germans. A tad too difficult for my meagre RTS skills!

D.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
it iss good got ity a couple of days ago...will do till the new dawn of war expansion comes out...oooh yeah!