ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Comparison, Cup vs. Cupra R

Hello,

Right, thought I’d try and give you my honest review of my Seat Leon Cupra R after having run a 172 Cup for a year previously.

Ok, first things first, the expense. Well obviously the Cupra R cost more than the Cup. I bought the Cup with 5k on the clock last Jan for £10,500, it came with a K&N and a Scorpion back box. In all honesty, I wanted it standard, but at the time there were few Cup’s in my area and I was in the Market for one, as my last car was on its way out and I wanted to part ex before it died!! The Cupra R on the other hand cost me £16,200 with 1.5k on the clock. I got £8k for my Cup, which had just covered 18k by then. The Cupra R was standard except for metallic paint, apparently costing £400 extra and also Smart nav, which cost the dealer £700 to install and £190 for a 6 month subscription (which I had 3 months left when I bought). So the base price of the car new would have been around £19.5K roughly. Insurance, I pay £100 extra a year over what I paid on Cup. Fuel, well it roughly costs me £10 extra each time I fill up, to do the same mileage as the Cup. Obviously tyres are going to be way more expensive to change, 18” vs 16”. Servicing cost are similar.

Onto the day to day drive. My Cup was noisy! After about a month or so of ownership it developed a rattle in the scorpion mid section. Took it to powerflow and they removed the centre section and fitted a straight through pipe. It was now a fair bit nosier! Ok, don’t get me wrong, it sounded awesome for short blasts down the country lanes, or short journeys, but it just wasn’t great for those long trips on the motorway. My girlfriend and I would have to shout, if I was doing over 75 on the motorway, to be heard. The exhaust would have been fine, but sadly my life has changed, I used to live in the sticks, but now my car use is pretty much either motorway, or crawling in traffic, with only a tiny amount of back road blasting a month. So for me, the Cupra really has the edge, factor in the Aircon, MUCH better standard stereo, comfier (IMHO) seats, slightly softer ride, and general less rattles, it makes for a easier to live with day to day machine. Plus getting people in the back is so much easier, plus the cup’s scorpion exhaust used to rattle and vibrate against the suspension when I had a passenger in the back!

On the back road blast. Ok, so far I’ve not had a dry day to really put the R through it’s paces, but I can tell its no way like the cup at all. It does feel heavier, great for cruising, but not so good for thrashing. Saying that, there is one section of VERY bumpy back road as I head to my girlfriends that I used to hoon along in the cup (Yes, I know, very irresponsible!) and ok, I can’t as yet do that in the R, but I’m putting that down to only owning it a few weeks, and that it’s been crappy weather. There is one particular bump along the way that used to make the Cup hit the bump stops, the Cupra R rides this fine, not sure what conclusions to make from this, but I’m guessing it handles the bumps better? Or maybe the Cupra R has longer shocks, I don’t know!?

The real difference I find is the way they both perform. The performance figures for both these cars are pretty similar. They feel completely different. In all honesty, the R feels a lot quicker than the Cup, but that’s down to power delivery. The Cup used to just build and build the power until it was screaming towards the redline, while the R Kicks you in the back and then tails off towards the redline. I have to say, the R Is easier to live with day to day, I find it a lot easier to overtake, plus I don’t feel like the person I’m overtaking thinks he’s being overtaken by some boy racer thrashing the ass off of his Clio. The Brakes on the R are in another league to the Clio, as you would expect from brembo’s compared to Renault’s own.

Looks, well I think they are in a different bracket. I prefer the Clio to the 206 Gti, and I prefer the Seat to it’s rivals, but I think they aren’t in the same league, I like them both equally if you see what I mean.

You guys and girls bored yet?

Anyhow, I just thought I’d put my views down on what I thought on (IMO) a trade up to the next level for me. I know they aren’t a lot similar, but I just wanted something a bit more refined, with better build quality and dealer support! Plus the other reason I changed was that my cup was about 6 months away from running out of warranty, and I thought I’d get more for it now with that 6 moths left than with nothing left. Plus I wanted to sell it before the 182 Cup flooded the market.

I know you all have your own opinions on your own cars, but IMHO the 172 Cup is the best hot hatch about. It threw away functionality to give the buyer the closest thing it could to the classic hot hatch. It through out all that was not needed, did away with toys and took the driving experience back to just the driver and the Car, nothing electronic got in the way. It did exactly what it said on the tin, and it did it very well. I think it is the last of a bread of fine Reanault hot hatches, the 182 and Cup, although they are excellent cars, they now have to stand up to modern safety features, and that stops them from being truly brilliant like the Williams. I think the Cup is about as close to a Williams as can be. But hey Guys and Girls That’s just IMHO, and not what this thread is about.

I’m driving and loving the Cupra R, but I’m still thinking of the Cup!

Sorry for the essay, those that managed it this far, give yourselves a pat on the back! :D

Max

Shhh

I looked at many cars when i decided to buy the clio, i looked at the Cupra R and thought about the options of having it modified, a guy in work has a LHD version and was more than happy to let me have a spin. I found that the car was not for me, i thought i had aged by many years. I then looked at the Impreza but that was too big for the size of the car. I then come across the 182 and bought it on the day and never stopped smiling. It come to the test drive that i was smiling when i ended it, that i then put the deposit down straight away.

I got the Clio 182 with 12k on the clock on a 04 plate with cup packs, with stripes for £10,599. I can say i am more than happy with the car, it has the looks and the performance. Its not often that i want to drive my car about just because i like driving it.

I understand the revving it hard to overtake, but the 182 is so much fun, get it up too 4,500 rpm and it wants to be thrashed... The resale value of this car will be good as it appeals to all young people. I may lose £2-3k on the car in 3 yrs, but how much will you lose on a £16k Seat...

ITR UKDC2

My mate has a leon cupra R in black. really nice cars and you dont see many of them.Love the alloys!!!! thou its got an anoying squick coming from the front right shock of the car which he is currently sorting out at the dealer, only done 10K.

Anyway hope you get many Happy 1000s of miles with it.

and maybe when its run in you could write an essay on how it did on a track day;)

enjoy!!!!!!

Your biggest problems/weeknesses? with the Cup seem IMo to be the suspension and the aftermarket exhaust. Did you look at a 182 with Cup stuff?

When its going to be remapped?

They do look very good though and grown up if that makes some sence (maybe as its got 5 doors).

Sorry, but to answer AliasOmega first. If you think that Renault is a brand that holds its money better than Seat then i think your in for a shock! There were very few Cupras for sale when i bought mine compared to 2nd hand 182s, and the price was a lot higher for the Rs. Id been looking for a few months, and the only reasone i got mine cheap was beacuse of the time of year i bought.

It may appeal to "young people" but it has an insurance group of 16D. You do need to be earning to afford it, unless your folks are nice!

Im interested to know what you came from to the 182. Why would i want to go from a Cup to a 182? Its just to close to be worth it. I find that people that go from one car to the next version of it to be a bit strange. I know loads of you have done that on CS, but i cant understand it. There are so many other cars out there, why do i want to go to a car that has a few extra gimmicks, but is pretty much the same car. I want a different driving experience. Im 24 and am by no way old, and ok, ill admit the Cupra R is more chilled for just pottering about, when you open it up it will give me almost as many smiles as the cup. Not as many, but it makes up for those couple of smiles it misses out on by being so much the more complete car.

Zobra, I hope i have lots of miles more of smiles too, thanks dude! Once i can afford to replace the tyres often ill put it through a few track days and let you know!!! ;)

Edde, Again, as above, really, i just dont see the reason to go to something so similar. I wanted to try something bigger and better, and with turbo power, something i didnt mention in the review above. 270bhp can be had for £500. Thats a lot of bang per buck! As for the problems of the Cup, there was the fact that it rattled so badly that i was geting really sick of it. The rear suspension creaked like a b**ch. Dealers left something to be desired. Cups are now going for peanuts along with 182s if this site is to be believed. Everytime i put my foot down in the wet without thinking id think my engine was going to die from the knocking. EVERY man woman and Dog wanted to race me. Something that was nice on the odd occaision, but not great all the time. I just basically wanted to trade up, something i think i have done. With the Cup i lost 2.5k in 1 year. Not great and i didnt buy it new, and it was about right, price wise at the time i bought.

The remap is going to be done once the weather cheers up a little, im getting wheel spin in 3rd at the mo, so im thinking i should give it a while till i get a boost of BHP! Revo do a 5 hour trial, going to try that out in the first good sign of a couple of days of nice weather.

Shhh

As per my previous post i was asking how much would you expect o lose on the car in 2-3yrs and ofset that against how much you are willing to lose. In 2002 i had the 1.2 16v clio and i lost £3.5k on it in over 2yrs, so for me this was a acceptable loss for the car as the prices dropped. I was asking what you think its going to be worth in 2-3yrs time.

I looked at most of the sporty family cars and could no see myself on one of these, the gf has 3 kids so something larger was needed but the clio would bought on impulse as i had up too £20k in the budget to spend on a decent car. The BMW Z4 was in the top of the market but they are pushing for £23k which was out of the picture. Other cars in the option were the Accord Type R and i did look at a Intergra Type R but these were out of the question due to size, and getting fixed incase things went pete tong. I had to remember that the gf had to drive the car too, we looked at a scenic, and that was a joke (remembering she is only 5ft 4ins) so seeing the bonnet was a job, nevermind parking the bloody thing. She has a clio at the moment, and i considered that we would be better getting the 182 and chop her car into a deal in the long run incase we did decide to increase the family.

If you read my previous posts from the later of last month, you can see that i managed to sell me old car to the gfs parents which then put me into a position where i could purchase a 2nd hand 182, we searched auto trader and we only found one forsale which was up for a silly price, something like £11,200 with 6,000 miles on the clock and a poor colour. So on the 2nd hand side of things I cant see it being a problem on selling it on. As to being group 16D i did not see that as being a problem as initally setting out for a Impreza as we looked at a basic 02 Wrx for £11k the insurance came out at a god send, hopefully in 2-3yrs time i can chop the 182 in for maybe £7k and ill be happy as i would have had my uses for the car and maybe ill be able to afford to pick that new BMW up if the air forces keeps me on for more than 9yrs service.

I did consider selling the bike and going in whole hog on a car, but i try to make the best of both sides these days. (biking and driving)

Im pleased for you that you have got the Cupra R, I will admit they are very tidy cars but in this day and age, you only need a good review on Top Gear and it being under £20k and its the next Hot Hatch. The list is endless, Saxo, Clio 172, Civic Type R, Clio 182, etc..

Previous cars have been....MG Metro (Dodgy), XR2, XR2i, Clio 1.2 16v (Boring), Clio 182

MINI JCW

The Cupra R and 182 are two totally different machines so are difficult to compare, besides there not even in the same class of car. IMO it seems strange to move from a 172 to a 182 as they are so close, I own a 182 and i think my next car will be something as fast as the 182 but a little less mental something like the LCR or S3

Although at the moment nothing puts as big smile on my face as when i hit 5k!!

My brother owns a 330ci and he loves driving my 182, he says it so much fun and where as the BMW is just as fast but it delivers its performance in a totally different way

Goodreview max172cup

I am alittle surprised about the brake comments though! The cup is supposed to be up there with the best at braking! I used to own a vag product and the brakes felt great because they were over servoed but in reality they were not up to the cups!

Well mate i think you couldnt of picked at better car to upgrade to. Youll find that the cupra r holds its money very well, 2-3 yr cars are still goin for over 12k. After something so raw as the 172 cup, whats wrong with a little comfort. Love these cars, look the dogs danglies IMO.

I was looking to buy a 182 last month and found loads forsale in the auto trader (over net). Some goin for silly money but quite a few goin for around 10k. This is a drop in 5k from list price, if this is holding their money id hate to see it losing money. Cant imagine what theyd be worth when 3yrs pass, never mind 6 month.

Youll have to post some pics mate so we can all drool, many will be jealous of your new buy so ignore the schnidey comments.

Middle

Quote: Originally posted by Middlefinger on 03 January 2005
Well mate i think you couldnt of picked at better car to upgrade to. Youll find that the cupra r holds its money very well, 2-3 yr cars are still goin for over 12k. After something so raw as the 172 cup, whats wrong with a little comfort. Love these cars, look the dogs danglies IMO.I was looking to buy a 182 last month and found loads forsale in the auto trader (over net). Some goin for silly money but quite a few goin for around 10k. This is a drop in 5k from list price, if this is holding their money id hate to see it losing money. Cant imagine what theyd be worth when 3yrs pass, never mind 6 month.Youll have to post some pics mate so we can all drool, many will be jealous of your new buy so ignore the schnidey comments.Middle

There you go AliasOmega, somebody has answered your question for you! Although ive just ahad a quick squizz on the net, and for a 2002, your looking about between 12-13k, but this is for the 210bhp model, the 225 model was only released on the 54 plate.

I know this is a very un scientific test, but just did a search on Autotrader, there are 90 182s for sale, and only 22 Cupra R 225s. That in itself makes me think that Cupra Rs will hold thir price better, supply and demand and all that.

Will post pics when the car stays clean long enough to get some nice ones off!

Quote: Originally posted by Mitchy on 03 January 2005
<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">Max, the 225 was released on a 53 plate mate.

I stand corrected! :D

Clio 200 Cup

Similar performance as standard, but get the LCR remapped (i would go for the Jabba map as it offers a more progressive power delivery as opposed to all the power coming at once low down the rev range) and you will be blowing away cups. With just a remap you should be seeing 260-270bhp and 300lb/ft of torque! The cup is a great handler and a great b road blaster, but if you want a bit more refinement and shed loads of grunt then i dont see anything better, for the money, than the LCR. Good choice :)

Street Triple R

nice review there Max172cup, if i was going to get rid of my Cup i think the cupra is just the sort of car id go for

Quote: Originally posted by stevoversteer on 03 January 2005

Similar performance as standard, but get the LCR remapped (i would go for the Jabba map as it offers a more progressive power delivery as opposed to all the power coming at once low down the rev range) and you will be blowing away cups. With just a remap you should be seeing 260-270bhp and 300lb/ft of torque! The cup is a great handler and a great b road blaster, but if you want a bit more refinement and shed loads of grunt then i dont see anything better, for the money, than the LCR. Good choice :)
Thinking about a Jabba remap, but think ill end up going for the Revo. I like the idea of plugging in and turning the remap on/off. Great for winter and when the missus is driving it! ;)

Good review.

Changed my 182 after 4 months, same experience with motorway driving. Just not up to sustained long journeys.

Have a Boxster now. Smoother, quiter and more solid at speed. More grown up ! Looking forward to the sunshine !

Great review mate. Went from a Cup to a Cupra-R 225 myself and havent looked back. Miss the handling of the Cup but the Cupra-R has a certain maturity about it and at the same time Q-Car understated hot hatch looks / blistering performance. A £500 Revo re-map is coming soon and a nice 270bhp is there . If I ever need to free up some cash from my car Id buy a 182 Cup for sure.