ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Completely confused after the drive to work :(

Renault Clio 1.2
Hello :)

I'm sorry this is my 3rd thread but now this is not the same problem as my other threads :(

This morning on the way to work, the temp gauge didn't move at all... But on some drives it does... yesterday, drove fine and the temp gauge worked... but here is the interesting part, the car seems to come off its cold map (revs drop on idle) and also, when I pulled up to work, I popped the bonnet to see if the CTS sensor had come loose and the fan just started running. So it *SEEMS* the car knows the temp so to speak, but the gauge does not... Although, seemingly intermittent..

Also, i've fitted a new CTS and thermostat, although I have a genuine thermostat coming today/tomorrow.

I'm really lost on where to start here and really can't afford a huge bill from a garage... does anyone have any ideas, beacuse i'm at a complete loss with it now...

Just to add as well, all the other parts of the clocks/dash work correctly... Fuel, speed, revs, radio, trip computer all works

Thanks!

Renault Clio 1.2
Oh just to add, when I do the dash test (stalk button and turn ignition on), the needles work absolutely fine...

Clio 182
Does the hose after the thermostat to radiator get hot after driving alot,water pump replacement records, seen it before,

Sounds typical of a temp sender fault, either the wiring or the unit itself. Probably the wiring. Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the plug, checking/cleaning the contacts to rule out the simple things first?

I read on here there is another common issue with sender wiring, the loom becomming worn at a certain point, but I've not personally had to investigate such an issue. Worth a forum search on that maybe?

Renault Clio 1.2
Sounds typical of a temp sender fault, either the wiring or the unit itself. Probably the wiring. Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the plug, checking/cleaning the contacts to rule out the simple things first?

I read on here there is another common issue with sender wiring, the loom becomming worn at a certain point, but I've not personally had to investigate such an issue. Worth a forum search on that maybe?

Thanks! But I managed to sort the issue... I got myself a multi meter... Checked the voltage, and somehow, it was a bent pin on the ECU... after being as careful as possible for 10 minutes, managed to straighten it out :)