ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Compression Issues

Clio 182
Hi guys,

I recently took the my 182 to Renault to check what I thought was some sort of mis-fire, to be told cylinder 3 is down on pressure and it needs the cylinder head changing at a cost of over £1k and that this may not even be the whole issue.

Obviously main dealers cost a bomb so what is a reasonable price to be paying for this and has anyone else had similar issues?

I'm thinking it may be time to sell for spares/repairs...

Cheers,

Will

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I assume to diagnose the cylinder head is the issue they have done a leak off test and have supplied leak off readings to you. If it's just a couple of valves which are leaking a touch you could get it repaired fairly easily by a machine shop. You do really need more specific details about why the whole cylinder head needs replacing as it sounds extremely excessive.

Costs for something like that
Parts are going to be about £300 (belts, head gasket set, coolant and a bit of oil, head bolts (non-gen) )
Valves, can't tell until it's out so I'm going to guestimate at £100 as you could probably get a whole head for that.
Labour could be a fair bit as a head gasket is nearly 11 hours on autodata.

It would be cheaper to get a new engine with known good compression. @Timmsy has one for sale still I think.

Yep agree with above!

With the price of the 172/182 being so low these days it's really not worth repairing it. You may as well get a known good engine at a fraction of the cost and a couple of hours to fit and job done

GrahamS is right, I have a good engine, compression test was done just before having all the belts, dephaser etc done ncluding being timed up correctly. Looking for about £250 collected for it so would save you a pretty penny!

Clio 182
Thanks for the replies guys, will have a look around and see how much I can get an engine change done for. Could be in touch soon Timmsy.