ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Concerning noise from front nearside area

172 Cup
The Cup's now over 7 years old but in that time it's only done 30,000 miles with me owning it from new.

Within the last 6 months I've noticed a noise coming from the front nearside area of the car when accelerating hard and it's most noticeable in first gear. I've taken the car to a local garage who are friends of the family and whom I trust. They put the car on the ramps and told me they couldn't find anything obvious.

I've thought about engine mounts or gearbox mounts but I don't think that's it and I'm now getting paranoid that a drive-shaft is about to fly out of the car any day now.

I know there's little information to go on but any idea's?

PH-QUICK
I had a similar knocking noise when under hard acceleration in 1st gear only. Turned out the upper gearbox mount had decided to die.

Easy way to tell is the grab the engine by the plenum on the air box side and see if you can get the engine to move and make the gear box mount make a noise.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I genuinely never knew you had a cup.

I never knew you even had a clio!

172 Cup
I had a similar knocking noise when under hard acceleration in 1st gear only. Turned out the upper gearbox mount had decided to die.

Easy way to tell is the grab the engine by the plenum on the air box side and see if you can get the engine to move and make the gear box mount make a noise.

Cheers I'll try that tomorrow.

I genuinely never knew you had a cup.

I never knew you even had a clio!

PMSL.. It's been under my avatar for years now.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Check the balljoint, but not the joint itself, the two bolts that join it to lower arm, mine managed to work loose, and caused a knock upon acceleration which eventually got worse.

Oh and it's not just Daniel, I've never seen that under your SN before.

172 Cup

Just been out to the car. There's slight movement and a tapping/knocking noise coming from the engine mount on the offside but that's meant to have some movement I assume? That aside I can't hear anything coming from the vicinity of the gearbox on the nearside.