ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Confused at lighter socket!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Basically I went and bought one of those Belkin USB to cigarette lighter adapters off eBay, as pictured below. All was going well, it arrived and I thought it looked good quality and seemed like a great purchase until I plugged it into the Clio. I've got a Mk3, and for some reason this doesn't work at all in it? I thought it must have been the adapter, but it works fine in loads of other cars I have tested it in all of different makes and models. Likewise, every other accessory works perfectly in my cigarette lighter?

Any ideas? I'm left with a Belkin charger that won't work in my car but will in everything else, while everything else works in my car but the Belkin lighter?

belkincarusb.jpg

Same prob on a 182 fella. Must just be the way Renault design their sockets. Tis a shame as the Belkin one fits nice and snug and is barely noticeable.

Please post up any solution you find :)

E46 M3
I had this problem with a HTC charger. The socket is to deep for the positive pin to touch the positive terminal at the bottom of the socket. I took the charger apart and took it the positive pin so out was just the spring sticking out.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Belkin one I found sticks out around 1CM on every car I've tried it on now - Not sure whats different about my lighter socket or if maybe the bottom of this Belkin one is different? Will post some pics up on Monday of the exact charger.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
I had this problem with a HTC charger. The socket is to deep for the positive pin to touch the positive terminal at the bottom of the socket. I took the charger apart and took it the positive pin so out was just the spring sticking out.

Tried this too, taken out the bottom and stretched the spring far so I can be certain it is touching the bottom and still no joy! Thanks for everyone's help guys, still baffled!

Clio 182
I bought one of those of eBay a while back - it was blatantly fake! Bloody thing smelled like it was about to combust whenever I used it. Saw the genuine thing in Halfords and the penny dropped. Was yours a bit cheap by any chance?

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Was quite cheap yeah, that'd explain it not working at all just don't get why it would work on every other car I've tried it on really. At least it sounds like its saving me from smelling it!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
£12 in Halfords, only really need it for the occasional charge and with my test and insurance cost coming up, every little saved helps! Opted for the cheaper option on eBay instead but just ordered a different one with two USB ports this time, a Griffin one that i'd say is more genuine than the Belkin.

/Nail on head.
Have this problem on my 182. Had to find an adapter that was long enough before it would work.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin

Easier solution is to fold up some tin foil small enough to drop down into the socket to help the connection. Worked fine in mine.

E46 M3
Easier solution is to fold up some tin foil small enough to drop down into the socket to help the connection. Worked fine in mine.

Indeed. I did consider doing that but was concerned that the foil might move and bridge the positive and negative terminals.

What are you charging ? Most smart phones require a 2.1 amp charger to work and a huge amount of these things are 1 amp

1.6 Astra Sporthatch

Okay so was fiddling with the belkin one so much ive blown the fuse for the lighter socket! Anyone help at all on changing it? Not by my car at the moment so not sure where but im guessing fuse box is by the steering wheel?

Ordered one of those griffin ones should arrive tommorow and I can get it all sorted :) will post pics tommorow of the belkin one, and the garmin one hopefully working :) thanks for all the help guys!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Okay so pictures as promised! :)

I started this afternoon by opening my fusebox, a simple job I thought to replace the fuse, but I was faced with this sight...

mwqrkw.jpg

The fuses are out of line with the door itself? Im assuming the circle shaped one top right and next one down, the 15A one, is the cigarette lighter? This is massively hidden so I don't know how to get to that, any help i'd love!

263wm50.jpg

My Belkin purchase, that managed to blow the fuse and never worked! This also sticks out of the lighter socket by roughly a centimeter.

5eimjd.jpg

The Griffin replacement I ordered that fits reasonably flush, sticks out a couple of mm but that's good enough for me. Sorry if all the pictures are rotated weirdly, not sure how that happened?

Thanks again guys :)

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Okay so looking at that picture I feel... intelligent? ;) Just noticed the cigarette picture so that was an obvious one. Anyone guess what color my hair is? Haha.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
With my new knowledge of which fuse it was, and even though I still had to bend the fuse box quite alot to change the fuse, I have changed the fuse! Old one was blown as expected.

1585h7b.jpg

All works now with my new Griffin adapter, not even going to risk trying the Belkin one again!

5nu1zt.jpg

Sticks out just slightly but looks alot better than the Belkin one that stuck right out. Very happy with it, and would recommend it to anyone, now time to buy another fuse for a spare.