ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Connecting 2011 iMac to Samsung TV - Advice needed

DB.

BMW 440i
Moving a room around at home and installing a new TV, currently have my 2011 27" iMac about 4/5 metres away from where I will be installing the TV.

TV will be something like this in terms of connection ports etc http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...0-smart-3d-55-led-tv-silver-12371896-pdt.html

Question is - How can I connect my iMac to my TV, so I can display what is on my iMac, onto my TV. Eg. If I was watching a DVD on iTunes, or even streaming a basketball game from American TV, or TV series etc. Does Apple TV do all that, or just the iTunes aspect?

I have looked at wires, and get confused, and looked at Apple TV, but unsure if that does the job? I looked at a mini display port to HDMI, but not sure my iMac even has mini display port, i'm full r****d when it comes to this. Wireless would be preferable, but don't mind running a wire under the carpet or something but would need an extension available.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Thunderbolt out from the mac to HDMI.

I think, anyway.

I do it using the mini display port on my MBP into my Amp. Just treats it as a monitor, so drag from screen to screen.

FF Clio 182
Thunderbolt abs HDMI do sound and video combined. Does your iMac not have a HDMI port so you can plug it straight into the TV? You could use and Apple TV and use it with Airplay.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Yes to transferring sound.

I think so, but I'm sure one of the proper Apple knowledge bases on here will confirm.

Then (assuming I'm right), it's just plug and play. TV will pop up as an external monitor, so you just drag across.

DB.

BMW 440i
Thunderbolt abs HDMI do sound and video combined. Does your iMac not have a HDMI port so you can plug it straight into the TV? You could use and Apple TV and use it with Airplay.

What is airplay? would that show exactly what i have on my iMac screen, eg. If i was streaming a sports game through the internet. (I have full sky sports/espn on the tv, more just thinking american tv shows etc) Is that what 'mirroring' is, and would it let a site like project free tv work on it whilst being viewed in safari?

These are my connection ports on the iMac.

photo.jpg

FF Clio 182
Just get a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter and then plug a HDMI into the TV. Airplay is a service that allows you the stream audio/video through an Apple TV via an IPhone or Mac

FF Clio 182
So if you buy an Apple TV you can be watching a YouTube vid on your phone and then stream it to the TV via Airplay

DB.

BMW 440i
So if you buy an Apple TV you can be watching a YouTube vid on your phone and then stream it to the TV via Airplay

What about if you were catching up on a new episode of Breaking Bad, on Project Free tv in Safari on your iMac, and wanted to stream it to the TV, would that work through Apple TV?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

IPhone 4S/ipad2 and later yes, any earlier and you'll just get audio.

i have an Apple TV and its brilliant. I can have my ipad with me anywhere on the property and chuck music to the tv/surround sound, steam YouTube/movies from the ipad, or use the built in apps for iTunes/YouTube etc.

ive not even scratched the surface of what they can do tbh. I'd recommend them. Get an atv3 while they're cheap though :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
What about if you were catching up on a new episode of Breaking Bad, on Project Free tv in Safari on your iMac, and wanted to stream it to the TV, would that work through Apple TV?

If it doesn't work through streaming, mirror the iMac to the tv to get around it.

vevo on YouTube is a pain in the arse for this. If I try to stream vevo it throws a paddy and disconnects the link between ipad and atv. So I turn mirroring on, then open up the song and it'll play

FF Clio 182

I know Audio from Mac is possible and I know you can do both on iphone I just never done video from mac. Somebody will be along in a second who has :)

DB.

BMW 440i
Ah, so mirroring is a function within it, that will simply put my iMac screen onto my Samsung TV?

I quite like the idea of having an Apple TV for this reason (If that is correct) as well as its other benefits.

DB.

BMW 440i
I know Audio from Mac is possible and I know you can do both on iphone I just never done video from mac. Somebody will be along in a second who has :)

​Cheers pal, would need to make sure the sound came out the TV, would be very odd hearing all the sound coming from the right hand ear 5m away lol!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Ah, so mirroring is a function within it, that will simply put my iMac screen onto my Samsung TV?

I quite like the idea of having an Apple TV for this reason (If that is correct) as well as its other benefits.

It should do. If it works the same as the iPhones/iPads. Tbh, I bought atv for the audio streaming to the surround sound so I didn't need plugs. Then I found all the other features. It's so lazy it's brilliant

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
​Cheers pal, would need to make sure the sound came out the TV, would be very odd hearing all the sound coming from the right hand ear 5m away lol!

​The 4od app doesn't allow video streaming, but it allows audio... It's weird watching something on the ipad with sound coming all around you lol

DB.

BMW 440i
I didn't know mine was the outdated one with Mountain Lion out.

I'll get it sorted when I move in 2 weeks, having some plastering done at the moment in this room before I move and getting the electrics moved round!

Cheers!