ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Connecting desktop to TV ??

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I want to connect my desktop pc to my TV .

The graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 8500gt with vga and dvi outputs .

The vga is connected to my monitor so i want to connect the tv using dvi to vga on the tv , i could use dvi to hdmi but i already have a dvi to vga cable and a separate cable for the audio .

Firstly . Can i connect the PC and TV while the power is still on or do i need to turn off the PC then connect the cable ? I'll be leaving the PC connected to my monitor via the vga socket. My mate says i can connect the cable to the graphics card while the PC is running . I'd rather get a bit more advice as i don't want to blow something up lol .

Secondly . As it will only be used in this way to watch downloaded films do i just play through windows media player or vlc media player and it will appear on the tv or do i have to adjust some settings on the PC so i can view the film ?

Any help would be much appreciated .

Andy .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Surely someone must know ?? It's full of geeky boffin types on here :approve:

yes no need to power it off

regarding playing media you can either clone your desktop so you will see the same on monitor and tv or extend the desktop and then drag the media player when open to the tv and it will open in there and play

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Thanks for that :cheers: I managed to get it working as a clone after a bit of fcuking about with resolutions . As long as i can play videos that'll do for me :)