ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Constantly Dieing Wifi Router!

1.6 Ford Focus
This is really starting to pish me off now, I am tempted to pick the damn thing up and chuck it at the wall!

I have no idea what the problem is but every now and then, sometimes once a day and sometimes 5,000 times a day, my wifi router just crashes. The whole thing just dies, the router only has 1 power light on, I can't access the administration and none of my gadgets with wifi can find it... it totally dies.

The only way to bring it back to life is to switch it off at the mains power for a few seconds and then switch it back on so it reboots itself.

Over the last 4 or so hours I have been trying to download a HD trailer which is 251MB and every time I loose connection mid way through it and have to start all over again from 0%. This seams to happen on an endless cycle and I have been trying to download it for ages now.

It's not the ISP that's the problem because there is my own wifi router and another router connected to the modem, the other router is fine. I have been switching channels all week which lasts for a few hours and then it dies again... So I just tried changing my SSID and key and that hasn't made a blind bit of difference.

I have noticed though that whenever my connection dies, about 20 other wifi routers appear... but if that were the case then changing the channel should stop any interference right?

Any ideas?

Abarth 500 Essesse
It sounds broken, hope that helps.

p.s. you could try a firmware update, but other than that it could just be time for a new one

1.6 Ford Focus
It sounds broken, hope that helps.

p.s. you could try a firmware update, but other than that it could just be time for a new one

Anyone else would have given up but I downloaded a download manager for firefox so I can resume the download when the connection resumes...

As for the router... I am wondering if it is overheating. The power supply and the router itself does seam somewhat hot...

Abarth 500 Essesse
Quite possible, they will get quite hot though if they are on 24/7, they do seem to just break after a while though, some last for years others dont. What router is it?

1.6 Ford Focus
Quite possible, they will get quite hot though if they are on 24/7, they do seem to just break after a while though, some last for years others dont. What router is it?

Hmm right, well mine is on 24/7 unless I am away for a few days or something. It's a Belkin 54g which going by google is one of the worst routers money can buy... just as well I got it for free.

Netgear FTW.

What's the best they make?

I just found a Belkin N router on ebay for £35 that goes up to 300Mbps. Not that that means it's actually any good.

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
ive get a netgear one and it does the same thing, but i think its because my nextdoor neighbours, well every onein my street seem to be broad casting a stronger signal than mine, either that or the signal they are putting out is cutting mine down, i used to get 5 bars full strength excellent connection pich, now it get only 2 most of the time occasionally 3 bars. IT seems that if i try to down load something wiht a high transfer rate or access a page that needs alot of bandwidth it cuts it out, like the ass/boobs/clunge thread, if theres been an update posted it kills it instantly. then i need to reset the router. ive tried changing the channel and it does zip. i think i'm gonna just get a bigger router and try to out power the conflicting signals.
I thought at first it was just my lap top but it works perfectly for as long as i want and access or download what ever on my GF's wireless network.

Abarth 500 Essesse
Jaff and lamborgini need to buy new routers, Jaff i doubt it's interference tbh as many devices use 2.4ghz not just wireless routers (unless your routers on top of your microwave and it's on at the same time as you access said clunge thread or something) if it was interference you'd notice problems when you use something else or if it was neighbours routers you'd most likely notice it all the time. Its just f**ked (yes that is the technical term for it).

Again you could both try firmware updates if they're available, you'll probably still end up buying new routers though.