ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Contrasty issues

As Nick pointed out in my other thread, I seem to be having some contrast issues.

For instance, in this Peugeot shot, the sky has completely gone and it looks a little poo. What should/could I do/change to stop this from happening? Help!

4281986241_598d486e40_b.jpg

LY 182 FF CUPPED
1. Shoot in RAW and bring the sky back in via post processing.
2. Meter from the grass, and see how your cameras exposure latitude deals with the scene. (very similar to grey card exposure)

1. Shoot in RAW and bring the sky back in via post processing.
2. Meter from the grass, and see how your cameras exposure latitude deals with the scene. (very similar to grey card exposure)

Sorry to be an uber-noob, but how would I go about 'metering from the grass'?

LY 182 FF CUPPED
stick your camera in manual decide what iso/shutter you want ( shutter being your dominant decider as you are shooting motorsport) and point the camera at the grass.

shift the aperture until you get a correct exposure on your metering scale, now point your camera at the area you wish to shoot - ignoring the metering scale.

This is called a substitute light reading, but the reason you use the grass is that to the camera grass is a mid tone and depending on your cameras exposure latitude this gives the best chance of getting shadow and highlight detail.

one more trick you could try is an SLR reading, SLR standing for Subject Luminance Range.
To get the SLR for any given subject, you spot meter from the brightest part of your scene, and spot meter from the darkest part - note the two extremes in exposure and pick a happy medium and go for that, thus depending on your cameras exposure latitude again. Problems come when the SLR is out of your cameras latitude, so if the difference from dark to highlight is 8 stops ( which is possible on a bright winters day with a mid day sun) your camera can struggle, thus why most people will shoot precious jobs in RAW.

Shooting in RAW you can use a technique known as "expose right". i.e over exposing on the shoot and bringing the highlights back in with your RAW software.

I use a D3 which supposedly has a 7 stop latitude.

Last edited:
  Oil Burner
^ The different between a Pro and us guys that dabble in it.

I have never got on with RAW. For me the storage causes bigger problems than the benefits gained from the editing flexibility. Especially given the file sizes on modern cameras. Maybe i need to start trusting bigger cards.

With regards to the above shot. I would say in this example it looks like your shooting into the sun. The sun does look high in the sky, but in an ideal world you would have shot from the other side. Albeit being a rally i appreciate this depends on a lot of other factors.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
I always shoot RAW on 1 card and jpegs the other.

If I was shooting a wedding I know if some shots are blown, RAW bales me out of the pooh pooh pile.

You say you don't get on with RAW Nick? - there is not too much to get wrapped up in apart from gaining a clear understanding of the histogram. Once you nail the Histogram in RAW you will shoot in a totally different style.

I carry a lastolite grey card with me everywhere.....always trust it when the chips are down.

Last edited:
  Oil Burner
Without a doubt if i was shooting a wedding i would be shooting Raw.

My problems arise when i might shoot 200-400 shots in a race. I use 4gb cards so thats about 1k photos. If i was shooting Raw thats more like 300. So if i was covering 3 races in a row i would be using 3 cards and have no choice but to run some cards back to the media centre.

I think the short of this is really i need to fork out for some more memory. Or be more selective with my shots. But thats not my style lol

LY 182 FF CUPPED
agree with you, RAW has its place and shooting 400 images in a day you would spend 6 weeks going through RAW software!!!!!!

Nick I have just been looking at some of your older threads, you have some awesome images from race meets.....really cracking work.

Oil Burner
I often shoot 2000 images in a day, over 2 days of a weekend. 400 images would just be 1 race! So you can appreciate the scale of the memory problem haha

Ive run out of posts for today, so to Revels:

I only have 10gb of memory atm. But in RAW this would only be a few races at the rate i go through photos. The last thing i want is to get out the back of Brands Gp then walk 1 mile back to the media centre to dump 3 cards of images. Its a bloody long way lol

And Thankyou planetx, i try my hardest, and i enjoy it.

Last edited:
Can't you just stick those cards in your pocket and carry on? Lol.

I've never shot raw. Well I did once, but photoshop didn't want to understand the files. Added some plug-in and it still didn't work so I gave up!

Ian

Focus TDCi
For what it's worth I do what planetx suggests with the spot metering a certain area of the scene that you know roughly how bright it should be. Sometimes the dynamic range is just too great though and it's up to you to decide what you need to expose correctly and what you can afford to lose. Often it's better to underexpose an area to stop another area from blowing the highlights, but it's a judgement call at the end of the day.

Also, if you have a split RGB histogram then keep an eye on that too.

Edit: Shooting into the sun like that, you're going to struggle tbh, the dynamic range is too great. The car looks exposed correctly, so it looks like you did the right thing. Try adding a grad filter to the sky in Lightroom or whatever if you want, but I wouldn't worry too much. I think Nick was referring more to editing style perhaps.

Last edited:
I'm going to read this all in the morning, because I have no idea about histograms, metering etc. Need to find some good beginners guides!!

For the record, I was shooting away from the sun ;)

Thanks for all the help so far, even if I understand none of it yet :rasp:

Ian

Focus TDCi
Lol, should've known you'd say that!

I suppose with it being a white car it's much closer to the top end of the scale when exposed correctly than a darker car, so anything that's even slightly brighter than it won't have much room left on the scale to fit, so there's more chance of it being blown out.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
your camera just hasn't go the latitude to deal with the whole scene thats all.

Can't really tell too much, but are you shooting the cars in a slightly shaded spot on the track? the background does look a stop or two over exposed?
Perhaps shooting the cars in a brighter area will bring the whole dynamic range together and give you a more even exposure.

"Navy" N17 TWO
When people mention the light meter on the camera, what exactly is that? :eek:
(I have a D40 + D90)

"Navy" N17 TWO
So how exactly do I know I'm shooting correctly, according to that? :)

This might be a bit silly asking this now since I've had the D40 almost 2 years and the D90 for a fortnight :star: