ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Control

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Good morning gang,

capsule_616x353.jpg

So, last month PlayStation Plus members had the chance to download CONTROL for free. Up until last month I don't remember seeing anything about it, however in January Inside Gaming said it was a must have game because it was brilliant. So I added it to my account but while at the time I was still playing Cyberpunk and Bugsnax I didn't install it, until now.

My god, what a beautiful looking game and just so we're all aware I play racing games, COD back in the day and RPG's (and I use that term losely Fallout and Cyberpunk exclusively ha ha ha). I like watching someone play Res Evil but Im a shithouse with games like that, I panic. It's probably some psychological throwback to watching my Dad play DOOM on the PC when I was a wee boy.

Anyway I digress, CONTROL is a brilliant game in my eyes, it looks great (ray tracing on PS5 👌), the gameplay is great, the story is complex but interesting and it doesn't spoon feed you the answers. Intel scattered through the environment fill in the blanks but even they have redacted elements. You're thrust into the game, not having a clue what's going on but the game losely holds your hand to get you through the first parts to get you involved.

I'm really enjoying it so far and I can't get over how good it looks on the PS5. Has anybody else played this?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I refunded it after 30 minutes play time, totally not for me, felt extremely indie to me and the movement was horrible, looked decent with the ray tracing and what not though.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I saw you play this the other day @BIFCAIDS . I've also added it to my Library from PS+ but havn't installed it yet. It's caught my eye couple times and havn't got round to it yet. Might install it soon, does look impresive like.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I refunded it after 30 minutes play time, totally not for me, felt extremely indie to me and the movement was horrible, looked decent with the ray tracing and what not though.
You see it's not something I'd normally play but I'm hooked. Different courses for different horses isn't it though.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I've downloaded it today and had a go for about an hour or so. I'm actually getting into it. It creeps me out a bit with the noises, It is something different and there's quit a bit of documents to pick up, a bit like of Last of Us.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I've downloaded it today and had a go for about an hour or so. I'm actually getting into it. It creeps me out a bit with the noises, It is something different and there's quit a bit of documents to pick up, a bit like of Last of Us.
Yeah the noises creep me out and then I build the tension myself. I'll knock something over and be like "who is making that noise, oh it's me"

2PUlGiV.gif

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Got the Ultimate Edition from cdkeys for peanuts have heard some good feedback from some mates of mine. I was forwarded a recording of it in 4K on a 3080 card and it did look very impressive.

Not tried it myself yet though. Hopefully the movement controls will be OK - but as per @Greeny. - if its poor, I doubt I'll see it through. Similar with the recent Hitman 2 game - everything felt like you were playing it with your hands in vats of treacle. So sluggish for when you needed snap decisions and quick responses. They really need to take a leaf out of Rebellion's book and try out Sniper Elite 4. They've got the controls for that pretty much bang on.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I've just finished playing through this and really enjoyed it. Especially towards the end as I beefed up Jesse's paranatural abilities (such as being able to grab and throw 3 large items at once). It's very satisfying lobbing 3 forklift trucks at a group of the Hiss. 🤣

I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. The Ashtray Maze section was pretty cool. :cool:

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Great game. Not for everyone though, I found the combat a bit clunky as well as some of the animations.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
So... I enjoyed it so much on GamePass that I decided to buy the enhanced / ultimate version for the Series X (along with the two additional DLC's) and actually 100% completed it the other night. I haven't done that for a long time. :cool:

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I've got it on Game Pass again now, playing it through again on PC now I can use all the raytracing bells and whistles. Looks phenomenal but thank f*ck for DLSS 2.0 :ROFLMAO:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Got the Ultimate Edition from cdkeys for peanuts have heard some good feedback from some mates of mine. I was forwarded a recording of it in 4K on a 3080 card and it did look very impressive.

Not tried it myself yet though. Hopefully the movement controls will be OK - but as per @Greeny. - if its poor, I doubt I'll see it through. Similar with the recent Hitman 2 game - everything felt like you were playing it with your hands in vats of treacle. So sluggish for when you needed snap decisions and quick responses. They really need to take a leaf out of Rebellion's book and try out Sniper Elite 4. They've got the controls for that pretty much bang on.
So, three years late to the party and quite frankly, this game is superb. It battered my GTX1080 when I first got it - played well on my 3070Ti and with the latest step-up to a 3090 - it looks and plays amazing.

The combat is great - almost like a finely tuned balance between holding back and going all gung-ho. The setting is creepy and diverse enough to keep you interested and the varied side-missions are there should you want them. Some of the effects are really well done too - like seeing the main character's reflection in glass and her silhouette blocking the display from a projector film.

I genuinely didn't have much hope with this game for me - but I'll definitely be seeing it through. It has that same pull and uniqueness to it that I felt back in the days of the original Max Payne game. Kind of wish I'd played it sooner! :p

1708125334748.png

1708125376096.png

1708125400272.png

1708125428945.png

1708125455810.png

1708125487365.png

1708125524942.png

1708125554375.png

1708125586219.png

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I havnt played this in a long time, think I gave up at one of the bosses, couldn’t get passed it. I enjoyed it too a little

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I havnt played this in a long time, think I gave up at one of the bosses, couldn’t get passed it. I enjoyed it too a little
That was part of my problem, love the game but f**k me, some bits I found difficult. Love the 80's cold war aesthetic, Id decorate my house like that if it was up to me 😅

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I have played through it a few times now and 100% completed it, including the DLC. I really enjoyed the backstory and, I'll be honest, just lobbing s**t around. It looks great and plays great after a short time of familiarising with the control scheme.

I won't spoil the game but, yeah, there are a few sticky/tricky points in the game and it can be a fine line between succeeding or having to go again!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Btw - if no one noticed on this game, there are a couple of options in the Settings that can be toggled on or off.

One is for the main character to be immortal - even though her health bar continues to decrease when hit. The second is to kill enemies with one shot from any of her guns. Useful on occasion, if you feel like you're banging your head against a brick wall with its difficulty.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm just about to complete my 3rd or 4th play-through and on the last achievement, which I will try and capture on video if I remember! Hopefully, I'll have a crack at it later. Control 2, where are you...? (It could be quite a long wait sadly!)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I take it that that, is this achievement? ;)

View attachment 1685905

It is indeed! 🤣

Can you play in first person, or third person / over shoulder only?

It's third-person, mate. If playing on the PC you can mod the game with appropriate tools (and hack in a first-person mode) but it's not straightforward and the game was designed to be played in the third-person.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
SPOILER ALERT:
If you are planning on playing the game then I'd avoid watching the vids, especially the Ashtray Maze. (y)

Firstly, it's not the greatest of vids but here's the last item I needed to 100% complete - which involved completing one of the Secret Achievements. It's a bit boring to be honest, as nothing particularly exciting happens. 🤣 However, I kinda liked the idea behind possessed "objects of power" and this very thing caused a chuckle or two when I played the game through for the first time upon its release. The first minute or so is just dicking around and blowing stuff up.

And another quick vid of a play-through of one of my favourite sections of the game - the Ashtray Maze. My character was fully loaded out with a full ability tree and top-tier weapons and personal mods (which made it a bit easy).