ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Controlling Home PC from work.......

Bumder With A Buffer
Or from another PC. Is this possible?? Using VNC Viewer??? So i could say leave VNC running at home then access it from work and do stuff on my home PC if i wanted??

Or someone else's PC providing they are running VNC or similar???

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
VNC is very insecure, but also very convienient. There are plenty of other convienent secure remote desktop software out there.

Bumder With A Buffer
Which ones in particular?? That Logmein seems ok but looking for something lil bit easier to use

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
I use RDC every day from work to my home pc. personal emails, msn, photoshop, anything, all unmonitored! spot on!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
isn't VNC a bit poop though, RDC better? How is it secure, if I'm on a static IP at work I can lock down remote access to my home PC from that IP address on the router, yes?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I don't understand how it is secured, i.e for arguements sake, lets say someone knows my WAN IP, I don't have a username/password on my Vista account, if I use VNC viewer on the machine, what stops others accessing the machine? VNC Session password?

I don't understand how it is secured, i.e for arguements sake, lets say someone knows my WAN IP, I don't have a username/password on my Vista account, if I use VNC viewer on the machine, what stops others accessing the machine? VNC Session password?

Because VNC server allows you to configure a username and password + encription, so when you try connect to the computer, a login box comes up.

Lan ip address being computers IP address??

yep.. to find out the lan ip of the computer you are on, you can :

• Start > Run > cmd > type 'ipconfig' > and your lan ip will be next to Ip Address
  • Or you can connect to your router and go on attached devices and then get a list of all the ips connected to your network.
Or the easiest way of getting your internet ip address would be www.whatismyip.com

so you can see...

when you first open VNC viewer :

80662575gp9.jpg

Once you've chose the server, the login window comes up :

95369854ej0.jpg

And once you put the details in. Also i opened the server control panel :

63660130xv0.jpg

Personally though i just use VNC password authentication, as it saves me havin to type the login name in :rasp: And that computer is never on anyway, and its about to get a reformatted with linux :0)

Bumder With A Buffer
Yeah thats how i found my LAN ip of my pc ^^^^ using ipconfig

LAn IP address is 192.168.x.xxx

Im still trying to pick up on all this stuff.... Everydays a school day and all that!

The router also has an IP address which is the WAN?

you router address will be the "default gateway" in ipconfig, and on my router, my WAN ip is under the ADSL status title, and just called ip address...

but as i said easiest way of gettin wan ip is that site.

logmein.com is probably the easiest to setup.. no need for forwarding of ports no need to mess about with Wan and Lan IPs

All you need to do is..

Create a Logmein account.

Install the software on your PC

At work.. Log into www.logmein.com... Click your Computer name. then enter your login and password. and bang.. your in.

how much easier do you need?

Most of our IT dept use it :eek:)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
you can use VNC i did for a while but it was a pain for me and i needed to run a static ip using my vpn from work. it's easier to use remote desktop to be honest and just note down your ip address before you leave the house. ...

Silver 172 PhII
logmein.com is probably the easiest to setup.. no need for forwarding of ports no need to mess about with Wan and Lan IPs

This is the reason I use GoToMyPC - no hassle setting it up, messing about with port forwarding etc. It also supports sound and disconnected sessions and runs over port 80/443 which means I can always get to it no matter what firewall I'm behind (some places block the RDP and/or VNC ports for example). I used to use RDP but it was a pain to set up and when my IP address changed and I didn't notice I lost all my connectivity. I have also got 5 or 6 different machines listed under one account, all you have to do is install the GoToMyPC service on each machine you want to use.

You do have to pay for GoToMyPc but I get a free account as I work for the people ho make it. :) If logmein is free I'd say go for that - it'll completely hassle free and just work with no messing about.

Yeah... logmein is free for unlimited amount of computers.. i have about 9 computers on mine :eek:), like mates and family.. saves me time and effort when they ring me up asking to do something and me trying to talk to them step by step.... i just log on and do it for them.

There is a chargeable option, which includes File transfer between the PC you sat on and the PC you are controlling and also stuff like remote printers etc.. they give you afree trial for a month for this and i was quite impressed.

I turned it down as the remote control from the free version is all that i needed.

I do this every day and use Team Viewer (personal use option is free)

You basically create an account with a password.

Then install the software on any PC you wish to be connected onto this account.

You can then log in from any other PC with internet, or your iPhone and control these PCs.

Very simple and very easy.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I do this every day and use Team Viewer (personal use option is free)

You basically create an account with a password.

Then install the software on any PC you wish to be connected onto this account.

You can then log in from any other PC with internet, or your iPhone and control these PCs.

Very simple and very easy.

PMSL @ the megabump. I too use that though.