ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Converting dci 65 to 80

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Morning chaps

I'm just about to buy a scrap worthy dci 80. Wondered what's required from it to make my 65 into the 80 bhp.

List so far is ECU kit,
Intercooler set up (already fitted to my car)
Turbo
Injectors

I noticed the 80 uses a different map sensor but don't know it this needs to be changed or not.

Have I missed anything? I'm only having the car for a couple of days before scrapping so want to make sure I get everything needed.

G

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I don't think they are mate. Believe they flow 15% better and the turbo suffix is 002 on the 80 instead of 000.

Unbelievably my main concern is the map sensor.
Turbo & injectors are the same between 65 & 80

clio dci , ren8
Believe what you like ,are you in the motor trade ? do you work on nothing but Renaults for the last 20 years ??? if the questions that your asking are on here then I think not . The only injectors that are different are the 100 bhp there again the experts on here will argue different no doubt .

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
What got your goat!!

I've checked the part numbers and they look to be different. Turbo part number difference is to do with the factory wastegate setting being different from my research. I'm concerned about coding as I recent had a problem where my 65 injectors wouldn't code to the Kangoo ecu. I'd rather leave my known to be good injectors in though if I have the option.
Believe what you like ,are you in the motor trade ? do you work on nothing but Renaults for the last 20 years ??? if the questions that your asking are on here then I think not . The only injectors that are different are the 100 bhp there again the experts on here will argue different no doubt .

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

don't listen to this guy hes been wrong on here every time this topic has came up.

you have already swapped the intercooler setup so all you need to swap over is the injectors, have them coded to the car and then just get your current ECU flashed with the correct or uprated software.

turbo is very similar although a different part number, id just use what ever turbo appears to be in the best condition

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
don't listen to this guy hes been wrong on here every time this topic has came up.

you have already swapped the intercooler setup so all you need to swap over is the injectors, have them coded to the car and then just get your current ECU flashed with the correct or uprated software.

turbo is very similar although a different part number, id just use what ever turbo appears to be in the best condition
Hmm yes, I'm not a mechanic but know what I'm doing bar the fine details in this particular instance as I've never owned an 80.

I'll swap the ECU kit over as its n3 so I'll finally have a working rain sensor! Although I've never tried I assume on clio I can amend the fine settings of the uch if they differ slightly.

My turbo is gobbling oil at the moment so fingers crossed the newer one is a big better!

Many.
I was dicussing injectors yesterday, New you can only buy one set for the 65/80, which fits both, so I can't see a differance there, I know the 80 have a slightly better injector nozzle, but I think that is due to spray pattern more than anything. @HMS Derv Destroyer

DCi 80 should have a second air temp sensor in the air filter pipe too.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I was dicussing injectors yesterday, New you can only buy one set for the 65/80, which fits both, so I can't see a differance there, I know the 80 have a slightly better injector nozzle, but I think that is due to spray pattern more than anything. @HMS Derv Destroyer

DCi 80 should have a second air temp sensor in the air filter pipe too.

I knew you'd done that with the refurbished set so did wonder but because of the kangoo problem will have to check when I get this thing. I'll try and code my injectors to the new ECU and see if it works. If it doesn't I'll get a new set or have the 80 ones refurbished.

Will check wiring for second air temp sensor. Mine already has one though I think. We discussed remember!

I think you need to reconsider your attitude and approach on here.

Many.
I knew you'd done that with the refurbished set so did wonder but because of the kangoo problem will have to check when I get this thing. I'll try and code my injectors to the new ECU and see if it works. If it doesn't I'll get a new set or have the 80 ones refurbished.

Will check wiring for second air temp sensor. Mine already has one though I think. We discussed remember!

I'd look into new ones, if you're going refurbish, It was cheaper for me to buy new than refurb when I've bought both my sets.

I do vaguely remember the air temp discussion, I thought of it while typing my first post.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I think you can run without the secondry air temp sensor in the boost pipe. The first one needs to be in ( airbox air temp ).

Injectors wise , 65/80 will both work. Only the nozzle is slight better on the 80 setup. Seems as part number keep changing I haven't a clue what's useable. Refurbed sometimes works out more expensive than the new sets.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
@HMS Derv Destroyer the 80 I bought didn't have the secondary sensor on the airbox. Maybe they dropped it on the ph3.

Right chappies. It works. I've put the ecu set up on my car and all is functional.

The injectors from the 80 were part number ejbr01801a which doesn't cross ref with the ones on my car. The code from my injectors goes in fine though but I will be changing over to the 80 injectors once I've got 2 new ones.

Having taken the turbo off the 80 at the weekend I really cba to change mine but it probably should be done. I guess for wastegate settings.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
main air temp sensor in on the air intake to turbo ( on the flange on the airbox air exit to said pipe ) secondary is boost pipe back to egr assembly.

it'll work fine anyway. those two sensors are pritty much pointless.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
btw, the only difference on 65 to 80 turbo is waste get pre load setting. the turbines are both the same size.

good thing is, the nissan micra dci 105 or what ever it is, comp wheel and charge housing can be retro fitted to a dci 80 turbo to make a hybrid :)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
btw, the only difference on 65 to 80 turbo is waste get pre load setting. the turbines are both the same size.

good thing is, the nissan micra dci 105 or what ever it is, comp wheel and charge housing can be retro fitted to a dci 80 turbo to make a hybrid :smile:
Don't tempt me. That's good then, if I just swap over the regulator and bar coming out of it (without changing the nuts location) I'll be all sorted. I had noticed the cartridge was the same.

Will mine be running less or more boost than it's meant to? I've never done engine mods on a turbo engine

Many.
Yours will probably be running ever so slightly less boost, but the 80 setup will run just a tad more, although I found it differs between mine and others anyway.
You can run up to 1.25bar on the standard map without issues in my experiance.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Righto. I'll swap over the actuator and boost sensor when I get the chance. Until then I'm happy with it. Seems to have quite a bit more torque low down and wants to get going quicker. I am a little concerned about running high temps though so will try and change the injectors soon. Will have to wait and see. I might sell up soon!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
make sure you dont adjust it to much, the standard thrust bearing isnt a full 270'degree one on the standards, and its easy to overspool and kill the bearings.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
im not adjusting it matey. Just swapping for an actuator from an 80 turbo I have in the garage. I've noticed my fuel economy is considerably worse