ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cooksport springs failing front shocks

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah without the bump stops you risk really knackering the shocks by allowing them to hammer the seals when they run out of travel.

Clio 182 Cup
Right ok stupid question time, bump stops and dust covers are different?

Dust cover, covers the top half of the shocker

Bump stop covers the piston underneath the dust cover?

I am 99% sure the bumpstops are there and fine as I refitted everything. Although the shock is noisy even with a small amount of compression

That's probably the PMS top mounts - they are really noisy.

Mine knocks when I brake and compress the suspension and it knocks over bumps too.
They're solid mounts but have a tiny bit of play in the bearing so they do clunk a bit.

Right ok stupid question time, bump stops and dust covers are different?

Dust cover, covers the top half of the shocker

Bump stop covers the piston underneath the dust cover?

The bump stop (rubber bit) fits inside the dust cover and slips over the piston rod (which I think thats what your describing). The bump rubber is essential as it restricts the maximum compression of the damper to prevent it being damaged every time you hit a bump (which dosn't have to be a very big bump at all if you've got lower ride height). If its not there then thats 99% the cause of the failing shock IMO

PH2 Flamer
mupagehy.jpg

Anything missing from this picture? Except springs lol.

All I have is damper, cap, and what looked like a dust cover/bump stop in one?

That's all I have fitted with my cooksports, and mine haven't failed. Been about 9 months.

Worried I have something missing now!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as in the pic, the bump stop and dust cover are one part and simply slip over the shaft of the shocker...........similar to how you learnt it in GCSE sex ed ;)

PH2 Flamer
Good news.

Just all the slipping over and fitting inside in the post above mine made me think, I didn't do any slipping inside.

Clio 182 Cup
Well in the case of the bump stops in the pic above then I do have them fitted.

Really was counting on them being missing as Im still no closer to finding out why I've been through 2 sets of front shocks now in 7 months.

I was always under the impression solid top mouts, for anything other than a track car are overkill and un-needed on UK roads.

I always had OEM top mounts with various suspension setups and didn't have a problem.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
dude, this thread has cropped up more than once saying that cooksports, standard shockers and solid top mounts don't mix well and cause issues. more than likely the combo is killing the shocks? you have pures correct?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I cant really see a solid top mount causing a big issue to shock reliability, there is a load of movement in the shock and spring and very little in the top mount.

It might have some tiny effect, but I really dont believe it would be significant.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
If the combo with the cooks is causing other issues such as the reported clicking and clunking I suspect it's misloading the mount/bearing somehow and as such putting un uniform load through the shocker. I presume that could kipper a shocker fairly quickly

Good news.

Just all the slipping over and fitting inside in the post above mine made me think, I didn't do any slipping inside.

Sorry, my bad. I was going from memory and its only on the rears that the bump rubber fits inside the dust cover. The front is clearly just one part.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
If you're relying on bump stops then the springs are too short......

I don't think the bottom coil is flat enough to seat on the shock, that's why they move about.

Standard mounts mask them moving as its a massive soft rubber, solid doesn't hide the design flaw

Cooksport Fleet

I don't think the bottom coil is flat enough to seat on the shock, that's why they move about.

Standard mounts mask them moving as its a massive soft rubber, solid doesn't hide the design flaw

Let me clear up a few of peoples questions. The bump stop should ALWAYS be installed in the shock, they are designed to prevent the shock from bottoming out on itself (and breaking).

All our spring does from a shock point of view is allow it to operate in a different section of its range (the same as ANY other lowering spring). Springs that are "too low" for the standard length shock will only cause it to run on the bump stop. Ours are NOT within that category.

You can move the spring by hand under full droop which is NOT an issue what so ever!! How often is it at full droop anyway?

There is not a design flaw with these at all Danny, the solid top mount transfers more of the suspension feedback into the steering (hence why people fit them). If you fit them with a stiffer spring, you will get more feedback into the car, simples. I would appreciate it if you didn't make false accusations like that Danny, doesn't look good for 519 Automotive.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to give me a ring/email. I am happy to answer anything with regards to our springs :)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I ran these with standard mounts and no bumpstops. Had no issues.

Now I have them with bump stops and solid top mounts. Again, no issues.

Cooksport Fleet
Its not actually a certainty that your shocks will be ruined if you don't run bump stops, but we recommend you do :)

One of the BIGGEST killers of shocks is actually when people do up the top mount nut with an impact gun. Spinning the damper shaft can actually destroy the damper seals. Some turning is fine and they are designed to do so, but not turn at 300rpm.

172 cup
I'm just going to clear up my story with these as I feel it may have reflected badly on cooksport

I was just simply saying that after fitting both cooksport springs and pm top mounts, my left front shock started squeaking. Now this could be a few things and I mentioned that I would need to take them off to find out what the cause was.

And the reason for my post was to see if anyone had simular issues in order to hhelp me find the cause, not to blame the springs/cooksport.

Just to add the bumps stops are fitted

Lionel Richie

i'm afraid the bumpstops, or to give them their correct name, secondary dampers are a vital part of the suspension! remove them from a standard car and you get the front tyres scrubbing the arches!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

The standard car relies on them for preventing really big loads at the tyre resulting into shock loads onto the shocks bottoming out (potholes/speedbumps etc if going too quickly).

They arent just fitted for cosmetic reasons, they have a useful purpose.

So that comment of yours really does make NO sense at all.