ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant flush and change

LY Megane R26
Looking to flush and change my coolant one day this week, bought a new tank from eBay to change my manky yellow one and also getting the type d coolant from Renault tomorrow.

I'v read a few threads about it and I believe the process is;

- remove bottom rad hose and drain coolant
- remove t/stat and drain coolant. t/stat is on the engine-end of the top rad hose. the housing's held on by 3 bolts and you'll need a new rubber seal for the stat when you put it back in
- flush through the rad and the t/stat housing with a hose until both are running clear
- put it all back together. remove the bleed screw/bolt from the side of the t/stat housing
- slowly fill with new coolant until you're getting an uninterrupted flow from the aperture. replace bleed screw
- continue filling until exp. tank is maxed
- having just checked this out, the w/shop manual then tells you to start the engine (not before!) and run it at a fast idle (2.5k) for 4mins, topping up the tank as reqd.
- replace cap and run engine until fan cuts in (manual suggests 20mins at 2.5k - take it for a run around the block to help it out)
- top up as req'd once it's cooled down and check for leaks
- keep an eye on the temp gauge for a day or two, to be sure it's OK

Just a few questions,
With the t/stat it says I would need a new seal, can I get this from Renault, or would it have to be a brand new t/stat?
Is there a way of flushing it without removing the t/stat as that sounds easier lol.
Would I need 5L or 7L of coolant as the system holds 7L from dry, but would I ever get it dry?

Cheers

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
If you buy an after market stat be sure to fit a genuine seal as the Q&H seals leak after a couple of months.

They're just under £5 from Renault but by the time you've bought it with a cheap stat you might as well have got the genuine kit.

Mick

LY Megane R26
Cheers Mick, I wasent looking at replacing my stat as I think it's doing a good job (fan kicks in if I leave car running after a drive). Just if I take the stat out I take it I would need a new seal which of I read correctly I can get from Renault for £5. Or do I even need to remove the stat to flush the system?

Evo
I've never removed the thermostat. I find it easier to fill the system with fresh water and run it for 10 minutes and then drain that.