ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant Flush

Punto/Clio GTT
ok so im gonna be getting some coolant monday and i wanna do a flush of the system. never done one before but i wanna give it a go.

im scared of removing the hoses on my radiator as they look a bit on the rusty side and im guessing they will split if i so much as look at them with a spanner, is there any other way i can get the coolant out of the rad without taking the hoses off from down there or am i just gonna have to go for it

when the coolants emptied and the hose is back on, do i fill the radiator up and then the header tank? do i take a top hose off the radiator and use a funnel to fill the rad? then top up the tank when the hose is back on or does it just all go into the header tank?

do i keep the cap off the header tank for a while til all the air bubbles stop coming to the surface, then put it on and bring upto temp, let it cool, then check the coolant level again, topping if i need to? anything else i should know or should do?

cheers

Punto/Clio GTT
will there definatly be a rubber hose on the bottom as i had a quick look yesterday but didnt see one, could only see metal pipework going in half way down and a top rubber hose

Renault Clio 182
is there a rad cap on the radiator if so fill the radiator once flushed ect do you have an expansion tank with markings? you may also need to bleed it unless this can can leave the expansion tank lid of and let it self bleed

Punto/Clio GTT
dscf2758j.jpg

Renault Clio 182
No then fill it from the expansion tank put collant in the expansion tank until it stops filtering through run it up to temp and leave the lid of the level will start dropping once the thermostat opens so you will need to further fill it leaving the lid of will also let any air out the system whilst filling

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
there's a bleed nipple in the upper hose, right near the water pump. Remove this, fill the system up until coolant comes out the bleed, the replace the screw. done.

Punto/Clio GTT
right, done all the flush and topped it up, sweet, but my radiator fan aint kicking in now? its going just past 3/4 on temp guage, the fluid is bubbling and the fan aint kicking in, ideas? coolant is coming out the nipples when i open them so theres no air in the system

ideas?

Punto/Clio GTT
its going past 3/4 now, nearly upto max temp, ive just truned it off to let it cool down a bit, f**k sake -.-

the fan worked fine til ive done the coolant flush

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As danny says, it will be an airlock, just need to bleed it through. Run it up a couple of times and stop it and keep doing it if in doubt, and leave the cap off while doing so.

Punto/Clio GTT
all good, safe to leave it til tomorrow yeah? as im getting pissed off at it now

my new actuator rod end dont fit, think its slightly to small, wont thread onto the needle thing :(

Punto/Clio GTT
oh and coolant tastes f**king horrible, im there blowing into the header tank and it went in my mouth, still taste it now

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
lol @ the tastes

Thats a bummer about the actuator rod end, Im surprised at that, all the ones Ive seen have been the same thread.

HBT 172 Cup
The actuator arm (turn buckle), and actuator will 99% either have an imperal 1/4" UNF thread or metric M6 thread.

1/4" UNF turn buckle arms can be bought from the forge motorsport website (£15), or if its M6, i have a spare you can have. :)

I've just gone through the same problem with my new actuator.

EDIT: looks like you need a 1/4" UNF one.