ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant Leak- Airbox rubbing on return pipe

Driving home this afternoon 172 started over heating, checked coolant and the tank was empty!!!

I noticed that the V6 airbox had worn away at one of the coolant pipes, well a pipe that seems to return to the top of the coolant tank, I cut this off where it was torn ( about an inch before it joins) and re attatched it. I then toppped up the system again and drove off hoping this was the issue. Less than a mile up the road again it started to overheat again.

Again the tank was empty. Im thinking this is because the coolant had not bled all the way through the system so I added more with the engine running and heating on until the levels did not drop any more.

I drove home say another 15miles and the temperature did not seem to increase so Im hoping this has solved my problem.

Question is, does the pipe that has split contain water under pressure and therfore cause the drop in coolant?

Secondly how do I go about draining the water and refilling with coolant? Best Bleeding Method?

Many Thanks

Tom

Seems to have sorted the issue, Think I need to buy a new return pipe before this one gives up. Is this just called a coolant return pipe?