ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant Loss

Renault Clio MK4
Posted this in the wrong section earlier, apologies

Afernoon everyone, just new to the forum and looking for some assistance. I currently have a MK4 Clio 0.9. I bought the car from a second hand dealer which was AA aproved and gave me a 3 month Warranty.
A week or so after buying the car i noticed teh coolant level had dropped, so i topped her up. The following week i noticed it was down again so booked it in to get it looked at under warranty.
The car came back out and said it was fixed, the receipt stated Raplaced Coolant Housing. I have no idea what this is <shrugs>
However a fortnight later it was losing coolant again so it went back in.
The garage have now called me and said the part that neds replaced isnt covered by warranty and will cost me about £400 to get fixed, i asked what part it was and she said it was the Coolant Housing under the inlet manifold. When i pointed out that they said they had already replaced that part they claimed that it was infact a different part they replaced which was more expensive. Now i'm no expert mechanic but i think somethings not quite right here. Why say they replaced the coolant housing when they never, unless there are more than one of course.
Now, the water isnt coming from the front of the car where i would assume teh inlet manifold is situated, its coming from somewhere down the side where the timing belt is located. I have a video showing this. It drips from the bottom of the belt ear the back of teh engine when the engine is off and sprays when the engine is turning. A friend of mine suggest it might be the watr pump which has gone as its down that side.
So basically the info i'm looking for guys is the following

1) How many coolant housings does a MK4 2014 clio have
2) Are there any under the inlet fanifold?
3) whats the chances of it being the water pump?
4) Are there any web pages that give you a clear schematic diagram of teh engine?

Many thanks for any input or help

WC

Attachments

• Coolant Leak.mp4
    12.6 MB
  Renault Clio MK4
Their argument is that it isnt a mechanical or electrical part. TBH i find their argument quite weak, the first repair said it was the Coolant Housing, i have th receipt saying so, now they are saying that it was actually a different part they replaced before and this time its the coolant housing. They also said they can get a pat from Erop PArts but that might not fit right so i'd be better going with the Renault part, which is dearer of course. Small voice in the back of my head is saying that they went with the Euro part before under warranty, it hasnt fitted properly and the Warranty company have said its not covered as its a botched repair and now the garage is trying to get me to pay for it. Might be wrong though.
On top of that they are saying the leak is at the front of the engine when clearly its not. Water travels the quockest way to the ground so i would doubt very much its going to make its way from the front round to the timing belt side and then makes its way down at the back near the bulkhead. But i'm not a mechanic so what do i know

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Tell them they can either fix the problem, or you'll refuse it under sales of goods act.

They don't have a leg to stand on.

Renault Clio MK4
I certainly wont be paying for it to be fixed thats for sure. They werent going to look at it for about a month so i had insisted on a courtesy car, which i still have at the moment, i have also emailed th egeneral manager outlining the problem and including the video. How they can clai the leak is from the front when its, imo, t the offside rear is a mystery.
I have humted all over the internet looking for this coolant housing that sits under the inlet manifod and cannot fond any trace of it. Does anyone know if it actually exists or are they just hitting me with the s**t stick?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Coolant housing isn't even a term that's generally used, so it does kinda sound like they're leading you down the garden path.

Renault Clio MK4
I'm going to pop over in person to see them and ask for the report on the issue, i have only spoke to them on the phone so far. Somethings not adding up, they are probably hoping its a general joe that owns the car and would just say Yes go ahead and fix it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
On the 0.9 tce it's usually the coolant thermostat housing that leaks above the gearbox, it runs low on coolant, overheats and blows the head gasket.