ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant Puzzler

106 / Clio Sporting
Hi,

Well after using the search for this problem I have come up with nothing so i'm making this thread in the hope someone can point out where all the coolants going.:S

My housemate and I share a Clio 1.4 8v Sporting and it has a little problem where it likes to drink alot of coolant, it was first only a small leak, then it started going through 1L of coolant a week. Tuesday I topped it like i usually do (filling it to the max) noticed it had gone through all of the reserve and down into the pipes (bubbles coming out of the pipe), i figured it was because I had done more driving than usual, then Thursday came and it had used all the coolant again (reserve completely empty again in 2 days).

Fed up with it (i have been looking for a leak for a month because the other owner refused to admit it could be the head gasket) I told my housemate to expect a nasty bill, so I took it to the garage for new exhaust bolts for the manifold and asked the guy to check for any leaks while it was on the ramp and also get chemical test & a compression test done. Came back an hour later to find the head gaskets fine and the mechanic had no idea where the coolant is going (not even his boss could), only thing he found wrong other than the exhaust bolts were the car needs a new lower engine mount.

So i'm throwing it to you lot, does anyone have any ideas at all?

oh and theres no performance loss, the reserve cap stays on firm (keeps the coolant system pressurised so it ain't getting out there), the car has only overheated once (this was over the summer when i didn't have access to the car, the lady owner doesn't even open the bonnet...any other time it sits under the middle of the gauge even when up to normal operating temps, and stuck in traffic) and the oil lost is minimal (hasn't really lost any since I serviced it 5-6 months ago).

I think thats about it other than the radblocking stuff (that stops leaks) has fixed the problem but I would like to find it and replace the faulty part before it starts leaking again.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Devoted

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Aye, deffo likely to be the water pump... might aswell stick a timing belt on it to.