ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant Temp Drop

Clio 172 ph1
Recently I noticed that the temp needle on my ph1 drops a bit, maybe a by dot, when driving.

First though was thermostat or temp sensor. However at the weekend noticed that coolant level had dropped, so topped up. Few miles later saw some steam, rad decided to give up and piss out coolant! Luckily there was still fluid in the system.

Going to replace the rad now, but wondering if a leaking rad would have any effect on the coolant temp gauge dropping? For example I know on some 1*2 models the temp sensor is in the rad.

Any help would be appreciated, as I don't want to by unnecessary parts.... but equally don't what to have to drain the system again if it isn't the rad

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Iv had a faulty reading on my ph2 for a while. Temp would drop under acceleration and return. Iv played around with the wiring to the sensor and it seems to have fixed it

Not sure if its the same for you

Hard to say exactly but if there is a leak then the system won't be able to run at full operating pressure. Then it's more likely to boil over and overheat.