ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant temperature

1.2 16v Extreme
Clio Extreme 1.2 16v 2005 Mk2

Hi i have been having an ongoing 'problem' with my coolant temperature gauage. It sits at around 2 bars when driving near enough all the time unless i am in slow moving traffic or stationary for a while it will move up to 4 bars. There doesnt appear to be any problems with the car, no overheating, chugging ect that i am aware of. When i purchased the car around a month ago i noticed after i drove it home that there was no coolant in it. So i topped it up. I have been told it is possible there is just a airlock in the system and to bleed it or that the temp sensor is knackered. The car sits at round 500rpm, not sure if this is normal or could be related to the problem. Thought i would ask for some options on here incase it is something silly before i take it to a garage.
Thanks

1.2 16v Extreme
thanks very much for your reply, i was in my friends car which is also a clio and hers was sitting at 4 bars and always does i though because mine was going up and down that mine was faulty in some way thanks.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I think your mates is broke haha. Mine is on 2 bars unless sat in traffic or idling. Most Clios I've seen stick at 2 bars :)

E46 M3
Err it should sit in the middle of the gauge and not move. If it's lower either the thermostat is stuck open or its a sensor issue. Most likely thermostat in your case as it goes up in traffic when there's no airflow through the radiator.

172 Cup
how would i check to see if the thermostat is stuck open?

Place it in saucepan full of water, bring it up to boil and check for movement is a rough way. However, I wouldn't bother since the symptoms you've already described indicate towards a faulty thermostat! I had the same problem on my Cup; replaced it (only cost £13 for the part) and the needle on the temp gauge now sits dead in the middle once the engine has warmed up.