ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cooling problems

clio 1.8 16v
cooling problems

hi guys,
got a strange fault on my valver,just bought the car about a month ago and has been runnin on water only so decided to flush the cooling system and put in some coolent ,all went ok then took it out for a run temp seemed ok then took it on the motorway and the temp gauge moves from normal temp up to the second mark then the fan kicks in cools it down and then it repeats ,strange though as it comes and goes! not loosing any coolent water pump was changed about a year ago,the temp was stable before i flushed it out not sure if i have a airlock as my heaters in the car are only warm for about 2 mins then it blows could iam not sure it even has a thermostat in it as the guy i bought it of was a pleb, thanks for your help guys as it is doin my nut in !!!​

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
If it was fine before but now it's playing silly beggars then it's something you've done i'm afraid. It's been a while since I've played with a Mk1 valver but they're normally very simple to work with:

The Stat is easy enauogh to check - simply unbolt the thermostat housing from the side of the cylinder head and if it's there, drop it in a pan of boiling water to check its operation. You opened the bleed point in the radiator yes and filled it whilst cold until air free coolant came out right?

clio 1.8 16v
Yeah bled it 3 or 4 times ,what worries me is the state of the water that came out was bad do u reckon I could of blocked the rad! Also what about the heater matrix causing it if thermostat is ok cheers mick !

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You mean it was thick, gloopy, brown shiz? That's common on F7P/R's that have run water for long periods and you'll struggle to get it right again without replacing the resevoir, matrix, rad and pipework but you'll get the worst bits out. The chance of you causing a blockage are slim mate - It will most liikely be a stat problem (In that its either stuck open or its just not there) or it'll be an air lock.

What age valver is it as Mk1 Ph1's had a drain point in the back of the block to aid flushing. Normally, when cleaning out years of old coolant system it is prudent to use a high pressure hose and flush out the heater matrix, radiator and head/block as seperate units and in both directions several times until you get nice clean water running out. I've heard some people swear by caustic-soda but i've never dared use it myself and prefer to bump up my water bill and abuse the hose pipe.

Mick

clio 1.8 16v
Yeah thick brown shiz mate maybe will have to try the hose pipe ! It's 1992 mate didnt relise they had a drain on the block to aid flushing ,I can feel the pipe from the stat housing getting warm straight away which isn't right is it unless is stuck open and someone has been inthere before as can see gasket sealer and a lot of orange water marks around that area !

Terry

clio 1.8 16v
Yeah thick brown shiz mate maybe will have to try the hose pipe ! It's 1992 mate didnt relise they had a drain on the block to aid flushing ,I can feel the pipe from the stat housing getting warm straight away which isn't right is it unless is stuck open and someone has been inthere before as can see gasket sealer and a lot of orange water marks around that area !

Terry

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That's most likely going to be the problem... faulty or just simply no stat fitted!

clio 1.8 16v
thanks mate have got a stat will give it a go next week ,quick question mate easy way to tell if 1.8 or 2.0 as had problems withthe power steering pump and the one that someone supplied me with was to big so went to kevin coopers motor trader with the pump off the car and all they could match it to was the williams power steering pump ,also got williams seat belts williams stickers which i have removed also the engine has definetly been out as rocker cover is white and lots of cable ties holding stuff in place which is now sorted !!!!

thanks for your help