ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Core i5/i7 MacBook Pro temperatures.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
As I know a fair few fellas on here run Core i5/i7 MBP's, what temperature is your machine running when it's sat idle?

My old C2D MBP used to run ~55 degrees, where my Core i5 runs consistently between 70 and 80 degrees, triggering the system fans to cut in around 78 degrees.

Anyone else think this seems hot? I know there's not a lot of cooling capacity in notebooks, but it just seem hot to me! In comparison, my i7 iMac runs around 40 degrees even when I'm hammering it. Not really a fair comparison, mind. :eek:

If you could post what your MBP's are running at idle, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers.

Go cry to your momma!
My i5 is currently sitting at 47c, that's low though.

If I were to say, watch a youtooob video, it'd be right up to 80c within 2mins, forcing the turbines to fire up.

That's with the latest version of flash installed, using firefox 4 (which seems horrid at the moment, really laggy with flash media)

Screen shot 2011-04-11 at 14.52.45.png

Go cry to your momma!
Apple are very slap-dash with their thermal paste, if you feel you're up to it, rip it apart and apply some properly..that'll sort the temps out.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Does seem a little hot that Chris - given that you say it's constant at that. Jain's MacBook with the older Core 2 Duo doesn't get anywhere near that hot, imo. My work's HP Centrino-based laptop could however make a full English if I left it on for an hour in the morning.

D.

Go cry to your momma!
You could go and moan at the geniuses, I doubt they'd be arsed with it though dude.

I went in a couple of months ago with my 15", the palm edge had a manufacturing fault and the finish was coming away. Much like it'd had heavy use whilst I was wearing a heavy bracelet or something, I dont though.
They tried to dissuade me about wanting it swapped for ages with "it's a major tear down, time consuming, bla bla.."

After me being persistent, they booked it in.

Went off on a tangent then, haha.

So yeah, take it in and be polite but firm, that's the only way I can see you bringing your temps down as long as it's not some buggy software hogging the CPU - what's your load at? Mine at idle is 97% free.

Slow red one
Whats the best program to find out the temp? mine gets proper hot when watching videos etc but assumed its standard. Although mines not an i5/i7 i've always wondered about this.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
LOL My C2d 13" is running at 55

Thats after the f1 forum on iplayer too.

Chris , my i7 Mac seems to run very hot , you mentioned in a previous thread about changing the fan settings , how do i do that? and how do i see what temp my Mac is running at

Thanks

57 Clio Campus Sport
I have 2.26 GHz C2D in my MacBook. Usually runs between 50 and 60c, 70c when I hook it up to 40" screen @ 1080p and downloading stuff. Might start doing this less often, looks so good though.

Right now it's at 70c and fans still only at 2000rpm. They only usually rise when playing HD video for a while so I assume it is happy to run at this temp. Should I be worried?

The thing is, CPU idle is usually around 80/90% so I'm not sure why it gets so hot.

@lasbazrre iStat Pro app for Dashboard tells you all the temps and fan speed etc.

screenshot20110411at184.png

Last edited:

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'm using iStat to monitor and SMCfancontrol to override the system settings for the fans.

I think it was the ambient temperature in my office during that hot weather he've had. It's pissing down today and it's running a DVD next to me at 44 degrees. :cool:

Maybe I'll open the window more often... :eek:

After yesterday, I don't need to break any more Apple products. Totally bricked my iPhone 4 whilst trying to dig around in SSH. Good times.

A little worried about mine. When running handbreak or football manager the bottom gets so hot you can't really touch it. I'm sure that's not right. At idle it doesn't seem too hot.
Any idea why it runs so hot when running either of these things? When using handbreak I haven't a cd in the drive, but football manager does not that it uses the disc that much.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Ideally, the MacBook Pros need to sit on a level surface, using their little feet to raise them up off the surface.

When you sit the machine directly on a surface they get really hot, yeah. That said, mine's never too hot to touch. lol. Maybe you have an issue there.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
You're saying 70-80 degrees isn't too hot to touch? :p

Obviously that's not the temperature the metal gets to, but it's designed for the unibody to dissipate heat. It gets hot, so does the case, you'll also notice if you shutdown the game/intensive app that it'll cool down in less than a minute. Very nice kit, I remember reading somewhere that the icore processors by intel are good for 100 degrees +

If it breaks Apple will fix it so worry not!

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Just got my MBP last week, where do I find this iStat as I've searched the App store. Thankyou.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It's on the dashboard, just press edit and add the temperature monitors, there's 11 readings so I have 5 of them open down the left of the screen with each temperature on it. CPU on mine regularly hits 80, right now (with virtual windows running in the background) we're sat at 58 CPU with everything else being 40 ish or below.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
how do i find out the temps? looked on the dashboard thing but no joy?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
found it.

mine is on 71 degrees.

does it affect it if it is charging?

Just ran handbrake, dont think it was at its hottest as its all it was doing but the CPU was at 90 degrees.

Does that seem to high?
Why is it so high for handbrake? its an i5, id have thought it would cope with that easily enough.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Had it on for about an hour now.

Streamed some HD video, and now browsing internet/itunes and i'm on 36 degrees :)