ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cosworth Green Injectors

Right

In the pub last night I was having a discussion about how to make my car quicker. The usual suspects were brought up. Boost valves and super chips. (I already have and Exhaust and 57i filter) Then some one sugested changing the Injectors to Cosworth Green ones.

This I have never thought of. anybody know if it is possible, and if any what benifits would I see out of it

Paul

As far as I understand the situation, Cosworth Green injectors are simply enlarged injectors used to increase the fuelling if your car is capable of running with a high boost pressure. Thus ensuring a good air/fuel ratio.

With a normally aspirated car you would propable get more benefit upgrading your fuel pump to a racing spec and installing a power boost valve (not one of the Ecotek crappy things, but an upgraded fuel pressure regulator made by FSE). Changes to the fuel pump and the fuel regulator increase the injection pressure in your fuel lines, allowing for shorter duration more efficient injections. Any changes that you make to your injectors and your fuel injection system would require a remapping of your ECU to ensure that no harm is done to your engine and that you obtain the full benefit.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Just to point out the Ecotek "crappy thing" is not a power boost valve, has nothing to do with fuel and affects the air!

the only reason to change injectors as with the colour coded cossie items is for increased flow.

Injectors are rated in cc per min @ whatever pressure stated.

They only used colours to more easily identify which injectors were which.

You will only need to step up to a higher flow injector if you are already pushing the limits of the std ones. You should be running an injector at about 80% of its max flow, if its running near to 100%, stepping up will help simply be keeping the injectors cooler and less stressed and give larger breathing space for any large increases that the ecu might suddenly need to add.

Simply incresing the injector size on a std motor or one that doesnt need it will do nothing for performance of power. And increseing fuel line pressuer will only increase the max flow of the injector. A very crude way of richning things up. But below WOT the injector will be injecting the same amount of flow (as dictated by the closed loop system) and you will see no benefit apart from an injector now runnig at say 70%. Basically, adding more fuel at every site.......without changing anything in the ECU

The closed loop system does indeed restrict carefully the amount of fuel injected, by upping the fuel line pressure you will increase the the maximum injection rate (reducing overall injection duration) and you will also increase the quality of atomizaton of the injected fuel.

The benefits of using a higher fuel line pressure and a FSE power boost valve is that you will obtain a quicker throttle response, as the line pressure drop off is reduced as the injection size increases. Also as the injection duration is shorter you have greater control on injection timing.

Hiya Moggy Noir...

Not sure I agree with all your post..

Firstly, the atomisation peak occurs at a given point after ther opening period starts (a bit like a valve in an inlet port). So on closed loop the duration will reduce with increase pressure. It is debateble whether the increase peak spray is more beneficial than a sustained pattern of lower peak over a longer period.

Secondly, my understanding of the PBV is that it is a rsing rate device. ie, as the pressure differential in the inlet system drops, the fuel pressure regulator increases the line pressure. Surely this is why you can sometimes feel better response (as opposed to pressure dropping - which it wont on a properly regulated system).. this is acting like a pump jet on a carb system.

On open loop, yep, the fuel pressure increases, hence the amount of fuel delivered, hence richer.

It all depends on how cautious the manufacturer was in the balance of power v economy as to IF a power increase will be seen, or, just wasted fuel.

The lower end cars actually seem to benefit more due to a more agressive economy biased setting, as opposed to a sports version..

I think they are actually a bloody good device in the right circumstances - usually a NEED for an increase mixture at top end due to other mods.

the BIG problem is the lack of linear adjustment.. ie, it is extremely difficult to get the correct curve, the settings are minutely critical, and seem to drift with temp and age.. other than that, as said, great on a modified lump or a lower spec model biased for economy.

Joe.