ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Could I get some help/advice please?

Partner's Astra SRi
Hiya,

I've been thinking about doing some subtle mods to my car. Mostly because it's starting to look a bit sorry for itself now.

Took this picture back when I joined Cliosport
IMAG0015.jpg

I was thinking of:
  • new wing mirrors (passenger side has white paint on that has been there since March this year and drivers side have two big scratches thanks to my parents)
and
  • colour coded bumpers and side strips
Was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how to go about doing this. I've been looking on ebay but I don't know anyone who could fit them for me.

Also, anyone who has already colour coded their bumpers, could you tell me how much it cost you?

RS 172
You shouldnt have trouble finding someone to fit the mirrors. I'm sure any garage will do it for a small fee.

As for colour coding, I wouldnt think its that cheap. I managed to get mine thrown in with the price of an insurance claim (some twot backed into me), so you could always 'have an accident' :D.

Partner's Astra SRi
Lol, sounds like a bit of a plan..... though I've only just got my 1st one years no claims as I've only been driving since Feb, had my car since Nov 06

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
dont bother doing anything with the mirrors imo. colour coding bumpers and side stpips will make a masive diff.

1#2 upper grill is popular with peps with non RS models. looks good too

RS 172
^ In theory the white paint should be able to be removed with a disc polisher as long as its on the lacquer of the paint.

The scratches could be polished out too, provided their not too deep.

Partner's Astra SRi
They're really deep gauges, thanks to my Dad's suitcase!

I have tried to get the white paint off with no real results...and there's some scratches underneath too

RenaultSport 197
Deffo colour code it & lower it.

Doug - loving the avatar dude:cool:

Haha, cheers mate. Never really have been a fan on Christmas.. family arguement time and meeting relatives you haven't seen for oh 10 years or something stupid like that - too much hassle! :rolleyes:

While im thinking about it, get some Dynamique alloys on there and get them painted anthracite. Anthracite goes lovely with that shade of blue.

Partner's Astra SRi
Deffo colour code it & lower it.

Doug - loving the avatar dude:cool:

Haha, cheers mate. Never really have been a fan on Christmas.. family arguement time and meeting relatives you haven't seen for oh 10 years or something stupid like that - too much hassle! :rolleyes:

While im thinking about it, get some Dynamique alloys on there and get them painted anthracite. Anthracite goes lovely with that shade of blue.

Are those not dynamique alloys then? Coz they are alloys.

RenaultSport 197
I don't have the laguna front splitter, and mine is lowered 40mm because im on 17's - (bad choice of wheel size for our small cars).

car1ht2.jpg

These are Dynamique alloys: (the pic is actually 172, 16" alloys, the Dynamique has same wheel, but in 15").

car333gt0.jpg

The only reason you have those wheels is because your car is pre 04 reg, which came with your alloys as standard. Mine is 04 reg which has those wheels pictured above.

Last edited:
  Partner's Astra SRi
Oh!! Well I didn't know that!!! My car was advertised as having Dynamique alloys! TUT. Just more lies I was told about my car

RenaultSport 197
They are still Dynamique alloys I believe, but also fitted to the Billabong model as well and the MTV limited edition model iirc. Just not as nice as the wheels the later models have IMO. :)

Sorry if I confused you.

Partner's Astra SRi
They are still Dynamique alloys I believe, but also fitted to the Billabong model as well and the MTV limited edition model iirc. Just not as nice as the wheels the later models have IMO. :)

Sorry if I confused you.

OH that's ok. Well I think I prefer my alloys tbh.... :eek:

Polo Bluemotion
I don't have the laguna front splitter, and mine is lowered 40mm because im on 17's - (bad choice of wheel size for our small cars).

car1ht2.jpg

These are Dynamique alloys: (the pic is actually 172, 16" alloys, the Dynamique has same wheel, but in 15").

car333gt0.jpg

The only reason you have those wheels is because your car is pre 04 reg, which came with your alloys as standard. Mine is 04 reg which has those wheels pictured above.

Thats b****cks mate! The wheels pictured above are the 16 inch,standard 172 wheels. Dynamiques came with the similar designed 15 inch version, that are about 10mm narrower.
The wheels on Laurens car ARE dynmamique alloys, as im sure people will back me up on

Partner's Astra SRi

car1ht2.jpg

car333gt0.jpg

Thats b****cks mate! The wheels pictured above are the 16 inch,standard 172 wheels. Dynamiques came with the similar designed 15 inch version, that are about 10mm narrower.
The wheels on Laurens car ARE dynmamique alloys, as im sure people will back me up on

That's what he said......

the pic is actually 172, 16" alloys, the Dynamique has same wheel, but in 15

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
the white scratches could possibly be touched up. as for the rest definitely put a rs grill on it and lower it....even if its only -40mm. colour coding isn't cheap if you go to a bodyshop.....on average people may £250-£300 for the side strips, door handles, front and rear bump strips and spoiler (can't see if you've got one from the pic!). however you could always do a diy jobby (a couple of guides are on here). you could also put silvervisions in......just makes the lights look a little nicer!

Partner's Astra SRi
the white scratches could possibly be touched up. as for the rest definitely put a rs grill on it and lower it....even if its only -40mm. colour coding isn't cheap if you go to a bodyshop.....on average people may £250-£300 for the side strips, door handles, front and rear bump strips and spoiler (can't see if you've got one from the pic!). however you could always do a diy jobby (a couple of guides are on here). you could also put silvervisions in......just makes the lights look a little nicer!

Yeah I've got a spoiler.

Ah cheers, I shall have a look for the guides, didn't think of that.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member

Yeah I've got a spoiler.

Ah cheers, I shall have a look for the guides, didn't think of that.
if you go to a scrappy you could get a side strip to practice on

hunt around for good prices on colour coding.i paid 130 for spoiler,front and rear bump strips and side strips.that was with me supplying half a litre tin of paint so probs 20 quid extra on top,can get pics of mine done if you want,only just done.btw the guy i used isnt just the cheapest he is absolutely awesome at his job,just very very good prices

Partner's Astra SRi
hunt around for good prices on colour coding.i paid 130 for spoiler,front and rear bump strips and side strips.that was with me supplying half a litre tin of paint so probs 20 quid extra on top,can get pics of mine done if you want,only just done.btw the guy i used isnt just the cheapest he is absolutely awesome at his job,just very very good prices

Ah that'd be cool if I could see pictures. Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
ill get em tomorrow when im at work if i remember if not friday,but its the same colour as yours so will give you an idea

Partner's Astra SRi
Thanks very much, looks really good!!
When I have a bit more I'll give it some more serious thought.

Clio Mk 2 Ph1
We've had our Clio about 4 months and had the rub-strips colourcoded. The door and wing had to be resprayed as they were both damaged-but the guy doing the bodywork could only get a 1/2 litre tin of paint from the local suppliers.

He repaired the imperfections in the door, sprayed the door/wing and colourcoded the bumper and doorstrips. The car was in for 4 days and it cost us £270 all in. Not a bad price. There wasn't enough left to do the door handles & mirrors, but we're not too fussed-it's only a 1.2 and the black breaks it up a bit.

And r.e. the wheel 'discussion' earlier-i went to Renault after fitting the genuine Renault alloys (2nd pic) enquiring about a refurb, and he said they were alloys of the (obviously) later 'Dynamique' model...

Pre-colourcoded (day of purchase):

ClioSide.jpg

And after c/coding & wheels etc...

CCFrontAngle.jpg

I also done this on my old Volvo 440-here are the links for comparison:

Pre Colourcoding
Post Colourcoding

I think it's a worthy mod for any car. The only time you have to watch it is when the car is white. Too much white looks washed out-but most colours, inc. yours would look nice. It's just having the money to do it! If you're thinking about colourcoding, just flutter your eyelashes and ask the bodyshop man/woman nicely if they can sort out the marks/scratches too...;) Worth a try!

Clio Mk 2 Ph1
^
get the door mirrors done too. Just the mirrors, not the base plates :)

I'd like to, but it's the G/F...it's her car, although we both use it, i do all the maintenance, cleaning, problem solving, servicing etc-as usual lol-and she's not fussed about doing it. The mirror casing on the drivers side needs replacing as it has a big 'ol scrape on it. I'm hoping to find a coded one in the breakers one day, but chances are pretty slim! The next big thing i've got to convince her to let me do is lower the bugger!

Sorry, off topic ;)