ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Couple of BMWs i drove

German Barge
Took a couple of BMWs out this week, probably wont interest most of you, but thought i would give you my thoughts - mainly as i am thinking about on next year.

Currently i am driving a Passat TDI Sport, so i am into my diesels at the moment.

The first is a 530d SE. First impressions were i actually liked the look of the thing after hating them at first, goes to show you things can grow on you. Next on driving the car was "WOW!" how much torque!! this thing was shocking. Power delivery was so good, and similar to that of the P1 as crazy as that may sound... (nothing...then boom! off you go!). The gearbox is great, very smooth for an auto and works well. Suprising as i am a die hard manual fan. Inside was a bit on the basic side, felt a little plastic to be honest, but being the base spec SE model i didn't expect much, but it had the essentials like cruise etc. Xenons were a plus, and looked nice with the angel eye style headlights.

Very comfortable to sit in, felt like it was very sure of itself at speed, and very comfortable on the road. Moved with a purpose, and rev'd very freely.
Light to turn in, and handling wasn't that bad for a large car. Completely different ball game being RWD, and honestly, its such a better experience than my Passat which feels high, ropey, and understeers like a ferry.

I would say i am sold on the car, definately on my next car list.... maybe the 535 diesel will be in my price range by then, but overall a brilliant car. More spec, and toys and it would be on the nose.

05122007131.jpg

Next up was the 320d, once again an SE. First impressions, i liked the looks... alot. The lines were fantastic, aggressive front end, and sat nicely on the road. Only thing i would change is the rear lights for the new 3 series range. This car was manual, which in this car i would prefer. Could have a bit of fun with it, and it liked to step out quite a bit, but with confidence. Snaking down the road on gear changes. Bags of torque for a smaller engine, but top end was no match for the 530d's pace. More noticeable on an incline. Inside felt even more basic than the 5's, and the seats weren't as comfortable. The car felt a little a lot more stiff on the turn in, hard work on the arms.

Another strange factor is the car felt bigger than the 5. More difficult to park, and blind spots was larger. Definately a good car, but on choice would have the 5 series.

Quick question which some of you may or may not know. The E46 330d (2004 onwards) does this have the same engine as that you find in the 530d shown above? reason i ask is i could be interested in trying one.

Anyway, here is a quick pic. If any of you have any questions let me know.

05122007128.jpg

Comparing the two to my passt, simply put. It made it feel laggy, slow, ropey, top heavy, and made me realise that my car understeers similar to that of a P&O Ferry liner...

Sorry its hardly "car of the year" but, diesels saloons are my future lol.

Cheers

Leon Cupra 300
Yes in that 530d you drove there will be the 204hp version! Think in 2005/06 they were updated with the release of the E90 330d to 231hp... now they fly!

Although has someone bolted on the ~Sport bodykit to the SE model?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Nice write up.

Since I got the Omega I'm in love with rear wheel drive. Those BMWs must be fantastic to really drive.

when i see u next u can drive my 200 :D see what a 2 way vsld is like lol :D

saying that your one of the few i would trust driving it lol

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Cool.

The 320d isn't a BAD car, but the 2.0 diesel isn't really a good match for the new 1600kg 3 series. Bit of a dog really and no torque compared to the 3.0 bunch.

The auto is a pain in the arse, it's certainly better than most autos (granted I've only ever driven a handful) but still manual is the way unless we're talking 535d in which case I would settle for it just for the USS Enterprise style overtakes.

Try a 330d sport (230bhp), they're awesome.

Meg 250/E36 Touring
'USS Enterprise style overtakes'.

Spot on! I worked for BMW for a bit and I have to say a 535d is awesome at that!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Eh?

What's one of them? Very slippery limited diff?

I assume he meant viscous lsd, but afaik viscous is just...viscous, no 1/1.5/2 way etc, think thats only on mechanical lsds....

Ahh, I see.

Nice write up.

Since I got the Omega I'm in love with rear wheel drive. Those BMWs must be fantastic to really drive.

when i see u next u can drive my 200 :D see what a 2 way vsld is like lol :D

saying that your one of the few i would trust driving it lol

I've only just realised what you said here.

You don't remember I tried to kill you at Brands Hatch?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Eh?

What's one of them? Very slippery limited diff?

I assume he meant viscous lsd, but afaik viscous is just...viscous, no 1/1.5/2 way etc, think thats only on mechanical lsds....

yeh its a mechanical diff as in it has spring plates that lock the diff pretty much solid... takes a fair amount of force to unlock i.e going slow around corners etc... but it locks both wheels solid on accel so both spin at the same rate and also on de accel if u shift down from say 3rd to second hard its like pulling the handbrake on it locks both wheels solid and stops them...

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
My father in law sarted off with a 530D and went to a 535D and it was sooo much quicker.Both fantastic cars and i would love either

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
530d puts out 231bhp standard, not 204 as with the older 330d.

535d is a twin turbo with 277bhp and can be mapped to 335bhp by DMS.
535d is the one to get, a few pop up in SE guise for under 20k now.

SE spec is a strange one, sometimes you get owners that well spec them up, ie xenons, leather, auto climate, dvd sat nav, bluetooth, auto box, heated seats, heads up display etc.

However the price of options was stupid but makes them so much more desirable 2nd hand wise. Extremely hard to get a sub 80k mile 530d with good spec for a good price.

The 530d in your pics has the M sport kit on it, or it may have been an M sport if the steering wheel was 3 spoked and had a circular panel behind the bmw badge, rather than the elongated standard one.

Inside of the 535d is nice, especially if you get the interior light package and nice fascia trim like the piano black they did.