ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CPU over temperature error

F82 M4
Alright folks,

Just got an error at the moment when booting the PC up. It's an i7 2700k on a stock cooler and heatsink. It comes up with this error -

"CPU temperature error

Press F1 to run Setup"

Then I press F1 to enter the BIOS and I can see the CPU running at 53c at idle! When I leave BIOS the PC boots up as normal. I've taken the heatsink off and made sure it's properly connected. I'm going to pick some thermal paste up today and re-apply that. What should I use to remove the old thermal paste? Is there anything else I could try? I would expect this chip to sit at about 30c at idle to be honest. It's not clocked at all.

Any help will be appreciated

Evo 5 RS
Air is poo.

Is the chip at stock volts? First things first always re-seat the heat sink. (Which you've done :eek:) Like Cookie says though, the stock coolers are pretty shocking. Also if it's an ASUS board you might want to disable auto tune, it's crap. It might be jacking the volts up too high. Probably not, but always worth a look as mine was hitting 1.55v trying to find a happy medium. You really don't want to be up there.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-008-CS

If you're not keen on water cooling, these are the next best thing.

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Alright folks,

Just got an error at the moment when booting the PC up. It's an i7 2700k on a stock cooler and heatsink. It comes up with this error -

"CPU temperature error

Press F1 to run Setup"

Any help will be appreciated

There's your issue m8. Intel must use the closest HSF units to crashing that they can get away with. When I first got my i7 setup - I tried mild overclocking to begin with. If I went as far as a 5% OC over standard, the PC wouldn't even get to booting Windows without complaining of overheating.

I quickly bought a Noctua HSF and have been fine ever since. Though as Scone indicates, air really is no match at all against liquid cooling. Just all depends on how far you want to go and how much you want to spend.

D.

The stock cooler is fine for stock speeds, so it isn't a problem. Those closed water looks are not the next best thing to water cooling either, a decent air cooler is as good and or better.

Are you sure you got the pins twisted correctly? I always find them a little fiddly at first but it will have no problem running an i2700k.

F82 M4
Cheers for the info lads, I would of replied earlier but I'm limited to 5 posts every 24 hours.

Going to nip to Overclockers and pick up either -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-037-CM&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=2341

or

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-001-CS&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=2342

Not too fussed about liquid cooling for the moment, maybe when I look to do some overclocking in the near future. The case I have is brilliant for cooling, it's an Antec P190. The thing is 24kgs without any PC parts inside!

Many thanks y'all, much appreciated :cool:

I have the 412, it seems good. But I'm running it on a 3570k, which Intel skimped on with IHS and thermal paste. However saying that, it does run at 4.5Ghz sweet as a nut. To get the full potential would have to remove the IHS and reseat it. Also have the A50 running on a 2500k @ 4.2Ghz, which keeps it nice and cool. I'd say the 412 would be better though.

F82 M4
Right then, I've cleaned all the CPU and heatsink up and applied new thermal paste. Here's a couple of readings -

Heat_zps20394371.jpg

36c better? :cool:

Will definitely be getting an aftermartket heatsink in the next month or so but this will tie me over for the time being. :)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Much better. The thermal pad material stuff on the OEM unit is facking terrible, it may as well not be there for all the thermal properties it lacks.

F82 M4
Going to pick up a Coolermaster 212 Evo tomorrow, when I enter a game it shoots straight up to 70c. :dapprove:

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
It's not an issue til it starts hitting its thermal max, and even then it'll start throttling back the cores before it gets there.

F82 M4
Well, I've just ordered the Cooler Master Evo 212 with next day delivery. Getting myself a crate of Stella tomorrow and playing around with it all night getting it right. Other than this problem the machine is an absolute beast. The 570's SLi are fecking awesome :cool: