ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Custom build PC issues

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Ok, so long story short. My brother had a gaming PC built and rarely used it so donated it to me when he moved to Australia.

This was a month or two ago and I've only got round to setting it up myself yesterday and I'm facing a tonne of issues.

The issues are different a lot of the time but some to note:

Whenever the PC is shutdown and restarted, the following behaviour(s) can happen as seen in the screenshots:
'Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting'
'Overclocking failed! Please enter setup to re-configure your system' (I don't believe it is clocked, I think that's just a mobo feature)
'Chassis intruded, system halted' (I fixed this one by replacing the CMOS battery - after replacing the CMOS, the PC wouldn't power on at all for 5-10 minutes)
The ASUS logo comes up and just spins and won't boot any further.

Specs:

Processor: i7-5820k 6 Core CPU
Board: ASUS X99-A
RAM: 64GB DDR4 RAM
HHD: 2TB
SSD: 2x 512GB
GPU: GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB DDR5

The PC isn't overly old. Maybe 8 months and has minimum usage.
Windows is constantly trying to update but where it needs to reboot itself and the startup issues are happening etc, it's failing everytime.
I did notice the clock in BIOS and on the PC was 2 hours behind despite it being the right timezone and to set auto but I fixed that by turning off auto set and back on again.

I'm writing this thread on the PC in question now but I know as soon as it's restarted, I'll get some sort of error or incident. For example, I turned it on today and it took ages for my TV to pick it up, just telling me 'No signal'.

Sounds to me in my unprofessional hardware opinion that it's something to do with the MOBO but it's so hit and miss and everything is lighting up on the board as it should.

Any suggestions on fixes or things to check would be great and I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

One more thing to note, a few times I've had to take it all apart (leads etc) because it refuses to boot and I've closed everything before shutting it down, however, once or twice that it's successfully booted, it's started but with a certain webpage I was on and a certain program open. OK, ok, it's uTorrent. It's like it's booting from a specific 'time'.

Attachments

• IMG1.jpeg
    IMG1.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG2.jpeg
    IMG2.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG3.jpeg
    IMG3.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG4.jpeg
    IMG4.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 153
  • stats1.png
    stats1.png
    402.2 KB · Views: 114
  • stats2.png
    stats2.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 136
  • stats3.png
    stats3.png
    225.5 KB · Views: 100
  • stats4.png
    stats4.png
    250.7 KB · Views: 119
  • stats5.png
    stats5.png
    323.7 KB · Views: 94
  • stats6.png
    stats6.png
    233.3 KB · Views: 109

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
If you've removed the CMOS battery then you won't have the overclocking issue again unless you've re-applied it yourself.

Removing it will reset the BIOS (UEFI actually by the looks of your screenshots) to factory defaults.

"Case intruded" when you remove the side panel you'll see a little push button around the rim of the case. Follow this back to the motherboard and unplug it.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Doubt it's related to your problem but there's 2 later versions of your MB's BIOS available so I'd get them on if you're still troubleshooting.

The first thing I’d check. I never get why there’s a reluctance to updating mobo BIOSs. I’ve had one get bricked in the 28 years of PC ownership and most modern mobos have dual BIOS support anyway. Even though both updates are flagged as beta, I’d be doing that first.

Once done - make a quick note of the obvious hardware settings, like if you have RAID setup - which personally in two SSDs, I’d disable and have as separate drives. Assuming that doesn’t trash your entire install (which it would in RAID0) reset the BIOS to factory standard. I would also question the need for 64GB for a standard PC. That’s a lot of unused memory estate to control and manage. I’d be dropping that to 32GB max for the moment.

Have you got access to the Windows credentials? If so, after all the above has been done - I’d be reformatting it. Doing all this gets you back to the cleanest slate possible from where you’d have a much better attempt at fixing recurring boot warnings or issues.

If stable on a reformat - you can then think about tweaking it. The Asus BIOS front-end on the X99s probably isn’t quite as gamer focused as the ROG alternatives but you can still get a hefty increase in performance from the Asus presets.

If it’s still misbehaving after that - it’s time to do some further checks - jumper settings on the mobo, any visible damage, reseating components, etc.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I could’ve sworn I replied to this 🤔

I updated the motherboard and that cleared some of the issues in the end, however, it appears that on every Winblows update it will repeat itself.

Apart from the obvious formatting, is there any suggestions people can think of? If I have to format it then I’ll just end up sticking Linux on it.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I could’ve sworn I replied to this 🤔

I updated the motherboard and that cleared some of the issues in the end, however, it appears that on every Winblows update it will repeat itself.

Apart from the obvious formatting, is there any suggestions people can think of? If I have to format it then I’ll just end up sticking Linux on it.
Are you fresh installing each time or just trying to boot into the present OS?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Are you fresh installing each time or just trying to boot into the present OS?
I haven’t wiped it yet. Updating MOBO cleared all issues until Windows updates then it repeats but I go in to BIOS and save/exit and then it’ll normally boot. Works flawlessly until windows forces an update.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I haven’t wiped it yet. Updating MOBO cleared all issues until Windows updates then it repeats but I go in to BIOS and save/exit and then it’ll normally boot. Works flawlessly until windows forces an update.
Turn off auto boot update. F8 on boot, into safe mode then Win+R and type 'services.msc' and then turn the auto updates off on boot mate

Or does it actually get into the OS, force an update and then bork?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Normally one of the things I check each time I format the PC - just in case there are any BIOS updates beforehand. Unlikely these days though as my mobo is four-years old - but I still do it!