ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cracks in car

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

When I took my car in today for a trade in evaluation the dealer spotted some small cracks in the paint in the seams between the boot and the roof. Also looked a bit like some rust got in.

Is this normal on Clios?

What could have caused this?

Clio 1.6 16V

Sounds to me like cracks in the seams/paint due to normal body flexing. Perhaps the normal flexible sealer has not been applied under the paint on these seams allowing moisture to get into the welds. Then again, the bodywork should be "galavanised". Not sure if the Clio shells are hot dip galvanised after welding or the panels are treated prior to manuafacture. If the later, heat stress during welding could still induce rust if moisture gets into the seams. If you have any pictures we can keep an eye on our cars for the same problem.

Clio 1.6 16V

Hi viceroy, Those definately look like cracks in the seam sealer under the paint covering the welded joint. Couldnt quite make out which part of the boot/roof body this is from your photo ....a bit too close. Do you have a picture with a wider view?

Has the car ever had rear end accident damage in the past? This may be due to long term stresses from previous repairs?