ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crank sensor advice needed asap!

Mrs' valver! &myV6 veccy
Tried doing a search on this, but can't find what i'm looking for.

Mrs' 16v clio N reg isn't starting for some reason.

Car was running perfectly, then she woke up in the morning to go to work, and it turned over but would not fire up.

Haven't got round to checking there's fuel coming through and that there's a spark. I'll do that in a bit.

Other ideas i've got are the factory immobiliser not turning off. However, the fuel pump i can hear priming, and the orange immobiliser light tells me it's turned off when i put ignition on.

Only other option i was toying with is the crank sensor possibly? I read somewhere that the revs should bounce up and down when the car turns over before it fires? Is this correct? As when the car turns over, it doesn't move, just sits at 0rpm.

These things always happen at the worst possible time - in the process of moving house!

A quick reply would be appreciated. Many thanks,

Al

Da

Less
my g/f's did this (although not a clio) tried changing crank sensor to no avail, in the end it turned out to be water in the wiring/connections to the sensor. Her splash guard at the front of the car was missing hence the sensor getting piss wet through. Not sure if yours is a similar issue?

Mrs' valver! &myV6 veccy
All the guards are there as from the factory. Managed to find her a mint unmodified car for a change!

As i said, it could be any of what i posted above, and maybe a few more things to add! Before i start taking it apart, i just wanna know if it sounds like that sensor? Do you know if the rev counter needle bops up and down when you turn it over?

If it doesn't, i would imagine it IS the crank sensor in one way or another, so at least i have something to go on then.

Cheers for your quick reply!

Al

Last edited:
  Mrs' valver! &myV6 veccy
Ok, just had another look.

The rev counter definitely doesn't move when you try start it.

However, when you turn the key to the ignition position, the needle bounces a tiny bit up. What does that mean?

Mrs' valver! &myV6 veccy
Cheers mate. Think i'll just pop the fuel line off to make sure, then off to find a crank sensor!

Any ideas on price from renault?

popping the fuel line off wont tell you anything other than its noit the pump, but you know its not because its priming.

pop off an ht lead and see if theres a spark.

Mrs' valver! &myV6 veccy
Earlier, left the car unlocked to wait for the immobiliser to go off. Went back to it and it was turned off, as the orange light was flashing at me with ignition on. I put my head under the car whilst i turned ignition on, and the fuel pump still primes, even with it immobilised. So i think i'd better just check there's fuel getting to the engine, that will eliminate that.

Then as you said i'll remove a plug and earth it on engine and see if there's a spark.

If i've got those, it's fairly safe to say it's looking like the crank sensor.

Cheers,

Al

Mrs' valver! &myV6 veccy
Cheers for that! Just come back from my unit with my tools, so will get started now and report back!

Mrs' valver! &myV6 veccy
Update!

Checked plugs - no spark.

Checked fuel supply - plenty! (and some all over my face i might add!)

Took the crank sensor off, and gave it a clean. Put it back, hey presto - it started first turn of the key!

It wasn't even that dirty to be honest. Must've just been a bit too much dirt for it to cope with!

Fair play i stink of petrol now! Took it for a blast to make sure it was ok - well that's the excuse i gave to the mrs anyway!

Cheers for your help guys, much appreciated!

Mrs' valver! &myV6 veccy
Yeah i'll probably purchase one soon. Least the mrs has her car back.

We're literally moving house at the moment - so really needed both cars going!