ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crankshaft bolt torque

2003 Clio 172
Hi gang,

I have a crank pulley to replace and was wondering if anyone can give me the torque settings i need to re-tighten to?

I have a new bolt, the original was prob fine as timing was done not so long ago but for a few quid, i though just replace

Now, I only have a torque wrench in lbft and have no dials for angles so has anyone just done this using torque alone or are the angles required?

J

2003 Clio 172
Thanks James...........that is one thing that is on my mind as I was expecting to use the crank locking pin but worry that it isn't up to those torque values.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Don't use the locking pin to hold it while torquing! You'll snap it off, then you're fucked.

Big flat head screwdriver through the back of the gearbox bellhousing, use that.

2003 Clio 172
I hear you James....had a look the other day and thought I could use a crow bar to hold the crank through the timing hole (where the crank sensor lives)

I assume you are thinking of somewhere else? I was hoping to not have to pull the starter (trying to keep the job as light as possible as not well)

J

2003 Clio 172
Ahh, sorry........being thick

Capture.PNG

2003 Clio 172
Well......who'da thunk it.

I just found the MOT 582-01 (BGS version) crank locking tool that I bought when I bought the Renault timing tools (genuine) as I thought I might need it............totally forgot.

Monday is at least a bit better now :)

J

monaco 172
I've used my crank pin God knows how many times to torque crank bolt and it's fine.
Is this ok to do for removing the crank bolt also?

I'll be doing mine soon and my main worry is that if I remove the locking pin while I jam in a screwdriver to lock the crank to loosen the nut, how the hell do I get it back to the correct position once the crank bolt has been removed?

I suspect that when jamming the screwdriver In and applying torque that the crank will move slightly meaning that it's a pain to get the locking pin back into position.