ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Creaky suspension on full lock

Renaultsport Clio 182
The front suspension on my 182 (Dec 04) tends to creak and groan a lot when I turn the steering wheel full lock. Full lock to the right causes the driver side suspension to creek, and to the left, the passenger side.

Is something about to go wrong? I'm a bit mechanically naiive...

Thanks.

Renaultsport Clio 182
So should I get it looked at? Or don't worry about it?
Is it a warranty item? The car is a couple of years old, do "strut mounts" wear out that quickly?

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
Jeffer said:
So should I get it looked at? Or don't worry about it?
Is it a warranty item? The car is a couple of years old, do "strut mounts" wear out that quickly?

Renault will modify the top mounts under warranty but in my experience the noise will come back. Mines worse when turning the wheel while stationary on blockpaving or gravel.

It comes and goes on my 182Cup. It's done it since the day it rolled off the trailer outside my house, but it's not any worse now after 26k. Personally I'm willing to live with it because the alternative is a Renault greaser dismantling my suspension and setting about it with a 9" angle grinder, before slapping it all back togther and taking it for a 30 mile test drive (testing the rev limiter to make sure it works in every gear including reverse) to get the bacon sangas for the lads.

Focus ST
blink172 said:
Mines going in tommorrow for this. Also got the notorious 4k rattle. Lucky me. lol

Sorry to jump in on this, but is this 4k rattle from the exhaust??
Does it sound like the baffles have gone slightly or something, and when checking the seals on the join for the exhaust it seems fine??

I ask because I'm thinking this is happening to mine, renault have changed the middle section of the exhaust but it hasn't done anything.

Sorry again to hi-jack the thread. :S

Maz

LY 200
Chad said:
Renault will modify the top mounts under warranty but in my experience the noise will come back. Mines worse when turning the wheel while stationary on blockpaving or gravel.

Yep had mine fixed under warranty and it has came back

Ziel Nurburgring
The problem is the stiffer suspension and the mounts being made of gouda. Power bush or the equivolent should make a package that solve all the niggly little mounts and bushes.

Ziel Nurburgring
Gweebs said:
Does it sound like the baffles have gone slightly or something, and when checking the seals on the join for the exhaust it seems fine??

I ask because I'm thinking this is happening to mine, renault have changed the middle section of the exhaust but it hasn't done anything.

From what people have said, i'd imagine its the baffles. I'll PM you as soon as i hear from the Garage.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
I'd say, just learn to live with it. Renault will say its all fixed, but it WILL come back. It's french, enough said really.

Tyson.

RCSII
I just noticed this with my clio. I've only had it for a week. I feel better now that everyone else has this problem. I'm going to learn to live with it. I drive a 2002 172.

Blown up 182 & Mondeo TDI
Not just me then! Just gone out of waranty and started to notice it, when turning right at low speed and in reverse its worse! Is it ok just to put up with it? It not going to cause lasting damage or anything is it?

Blown up 182 & Mondeo TDI
blink172 said:
Mines going in tommorrow for this. Also got the notorious 4k rattle. Lucky me. lol

Mine had a rattle when going over rough roads, speed bumps etc. Turned out the rear heat shield was hanging off and tapping the back box.

Oops just hijacked it my self now :eek: my bad

Took mine to Renault, they greased some joints up apparently. It stopped for a week then returned, odd thing is it only seems to do it in really cold weather.