ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cruise control button hot...

Arctic 182
Ok, so I've been having a few issues with my cruise control - it seems to have a mind of its own at times, with buttons sporadically changing their function (eg increase speed btn = cruise control off, decrease speed btn = increased speed) and so on... but then sometimes it works fine too!

I noticed today that the cruise control rocker switch (cruise/speed limiter) is actually hot to the touch when driving - so i'm guessing this is something to do with the problem! Anyone know what might be causing this and how to fix it. I'm guessing there's some kind of short in there?

Also i'm kinda hoping this is the cause of my battery draining itself if left for more than two days without running. Brand new battery keeps dying - constant drain of around 30mV when everything off. Could a short in the cruise switch cause this?

TBC tomorrow morning if the switch is hot prior to driving

Thanks for the help, Chris

benkay

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Ph2 + Audi S3(8V)
The cruise control connects with proper connectors.

I'd remove the airbag (disconnect battery for 20mins first obviously) and check the wires for sign of damage to the insulation.

If you can't see anything, take the whole wheel off and the steering column cowls, as the damage may well have occured where the wires run throught the hole in the wheel into the dash.

Have you had the wheel/airbag off or the dash or anything at all?

Arctic 182
I haven't had the wheel off, but previous owner may well have done

Update on above - the cruise control button only gets hot when running - but not all the time. Was cold when I started it up this morning... guessing if it's a short though it could be draining the battery and not running hot still?