ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cruise Control & Limiter Not Working

CrashBurnFly

ClioSport Club Member
  various
On my 182 when I switch on the dash toggle switch I get either the green (cruise) or amber (limiter) dash signs and the display switched to "set" to but when I press the steering wheel switch to turn it on nothing happens and neither Cruise or Limiter will engage. I have no warning lights on. I have read other threads and checked rear lights (all good). I have tried two different OE steering wheels and the same - so unlikely to be switches on the wheel. The switches and ECU take input from numerous places and seemingly no way to test each to work out where fault is. Currently my only option is to start replacing parts (cheapest first) until I find issue - any other suggestions?

All help much appreciated.

The workshop manual lists the following - any of which could be the cause:
The following controls are fitted:
  1. a three-position switch (off/cruise control/speed limiter), (my one turns both Cruise and Limiter on and ready for speed to be set so I think OK?)
  2. steering wheel switches that can be used to adjust the desired speed, cancel the function or recall the stored speed, (I have tried 2x steering wheels so unlikely to be this?)
  3. accelerator pedal switches that are used to control the injection and the brake lights,
  4. a clutch switch (according to model) that is used only for the cruise control function. (Does a 182 have this?)
NOTE: the accelerator pedal must incorporate a point of resistance at the end of its travel.
The injection computer:
  1. receives signals from the accelerator pedal,
  2. receives a signal from the brake switch,
  3. receives a signal from the clutch engager switch (according to model), (Does a 182 have this?)
  4. receives signals from the three-position switch, (unlikely see 1 above)
  5. receives signals from the steering wheel switches, (unlikely see 2 above)
  6. receives signals from the ABS computer (vehicle speed)
  7. sends signals to the instrument panel (recommended speed),
  8. receives signals from the automatic gearbox computer (gear engaged), (NA)
  9. controls the motorised throttle body or the diesel injection output. (NA)

Clio Trophy
Are you meaning the rotary switch in relation to the wheel?

I was chasing my tail for ages on my cruise control fault, which sounds the same as yours. Thought it was an issue with corroded rear lights but that was a red herring and it was the rotary switch/its wiring all along.

CrashBurnFly

ClioSport Club Member
  various
it positively clicks and stays in top (Cruise), middle (Off) or lower(Limiter).

By the above I am referring to the 3 position switch on the dash panel that switching it produces the green or amber signs on the display or middle = both off.

RB 182 FF
Hello again @CrashBurnFly, there's 2 non expense things you can check before anything else, these 2 issues can cause Cruise issues... One is corroded terminals on your rear lights, if you see a faint rear fog dash symbol flicker when you break it could certainly be that, the terminals just need cleaning up... And the other is your brake pedal switch, there's loads of threads on how to adjust the switch to work properly and not throw up faults, if you have no esp or serv lights on your dash it's unlikely to be this but then it's Renault so definitely worth checking anyway...

RB 182 FF
If the above checks don't help in any way then I'd probably get the steering wheel off again and double check the connectors in the wheel and make sure they're tight and contacting well... Other than that I'm out of ideas and hopefully others can shed light on this.... 👍🏻

CrashBurnFly

ClioSport Club Member
  various
Cruise Control still not working so further help sought ... and thanks VR46 I tried your suggestions

Having looked at the connection in the steering wheel (all look fine) and now fitted a new genuine brake pedal switch and still same issue - according to my deduction from below a fault in the accelerator pedal switch would seem most likely?

Does a 182 have a clutch engager switch? If yes any clues as to where etc?

The workshop manual lists the following - any of which could be the cause:
The following controls are fitted:

1. a three-position switch (off/cruise control/speed limiter), (my one turns both Cruise and Limiter on with positive click and ready for speed to be set so I think OK?)
  2. steering wheel switches that can be used to adjust the desired speed, cancel the function or recall the stored speed, (I have tried 2x steering wheels so unlikely to be this? and taken off again and all connection seems fine)
  3. accelerator pedal switches that are used to control the injection and the brake lights,
  4. a clutch switch (according to model) that is used only for the cruise control function. (Does a 182 have this?)
NOTE: the accelerator pedal must incorporate a point of resistance at the end of its travel.
The injection computer:
  1. receives signals from the accelerator pedal,
  2. receives a signal from the brake switch,(I have fitted a new genuine one as part of diags)
  3. receives a signal from the clutch engager switch (according to model), (Does a 182 have this?)
  4. receives signals from the three-position switch, (unlikely see 1 above)
  5. receives signals from the steering wheel switches, (unlikely see 2 above)
  6. receives signals from the ABS computer (vehicle speed) (no errors or warning lights are on so I am assuming OK) sends signals to the instrument panel (recommended speed),
  7. receives signals from the automatic gearbox computer (gear engaged), (NA)
  8. controls the motorised throttle body or the diesel injection output. (NA)