ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cruise control on a RS 172 or a dCi (DIY)

Clio Mk2 1.4 16v
well im gonna try it

i sure have the loom for the limiter/cc switch since i fiddled with it and i got the Set --- on my dash !
still havent checked my clutch if i have a swtich, or do i need to make a loom for it ( if anyone done it i would appreciate some instructions )

so to recap ! i need the
RS steering wheel with the CC buttons
the steering wheel adapter CC compatible 4 plugs
the cc/limiter switch

and do i need to do anything with the clutch ?
the switch i read about is to disable the CC when the clutch is pressed ?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
If you got SET on the dash that means it's going to work. It's the ECU saying it has the possibility for it.

Clio Mk2 1.4 16v
is there any chance to get away without getting a cc squib ?

is there any wiring diagram available ?

i made my own buttons but i cant find any wiring diagram to figure out how to connect them to the car temporary to see if it's going to work

Clio Mk2 1.4 16v
ok im having a bit of a struggle here any help would be wonderful !!
i made 2 latching switches to turn on off the limiter and the CC this bit is fine !
i have the green and the orange simbol light up on my dash and the SET appears so buttons are ok

now i made for momentary switches one with no resistor at all and 3 more with 910Ω, 100Ω, 274Ω accordingly

i have opened the squib and i found the connector for the airbag 4 wires and it has two more wires gray and pinkyish ( i think that those two are the wires for the buttons, am i correct ? )
i wired the 4 switches in the two extra wires gray and pink and nothing happens when i press anyone of them i dont get any numbers on the SET on any settings ( limiter / CC )

what im doing wrong here ?

Clio Mk2 1.4 16v
so small update ! managed to make the limiter working as it should but CC wont enable at all

i do not have a clutch switch or a loom waiting for it on the pedals ! does anyone know witch wires should i bridge on the ecu in order to get the clutch switch bridged ?

Clio Mk2 1.4 16v
found it have the two wired for the clutch switch hidden inside the insulation of the loom shorted them together and the CC worked fine !

the can was a NON RS 1.4 16V mk2 ph2 Clio Gasoline K4J engine

Racky

ClioSport Club Member
  Minion Yellow
Hi guys. Is there anyone in/around London who has retrofited the cruise control and wants to give some help to a total idiot :weary: ?

I've got the bits to retrofit the cruise control ( just need some wire and wire couplings), new steering wheel and squib are already on the car, but today I wanted to remove the protection from ECU to insert the pins, and as usual, this couldn't go easy, as the thing is stuck. Managed to do some damage already( the outside screw that holds the metal casing) and wouldn't want to do some more with this or the wiring.

If someone can help ( not for free of course), I will come to his place.

Cheers

Racky

ClioSport Club Member
  Minion Yellow
Ok, so I managed to remove the ECU cover, and wire the stuff around but I have some problems :
1. pin C4 in ECU already has a wire in it ( I should fit the clutch switch wire in there)
2. tried to see if it works without the clutch switch( in my opion it should work) but nothing. and there are no lights in the dash when activating CC/limiter
Any ideas ? Do I need CLIP ?

Forgot to say that I am trying to fit CC on a 2002 Clio dCi, Privilege 80.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Ok, so I managed to remove the ECU cover, and wire the stuff around but I have some problems :
1. pin C4 in ECU already has a wire in it ( I should fit the clutch switch wire in there)
2. tried to see if it works without the clutch switch( in my opion it should work) but nothing. and there are no lights in the dash when activating CC/limiter
Any ideas ? Do I need CLIP ?

Forgot to say that I am trying to fit CC on a 2002 Clio dCi, Privilege 80.
is there a clutch switch already in the car? it sounds like there might be then. It will however work without one as the switch just earths that pin when the pedal is depressed. You'll need clip to turn cruise control on in the clocks. I have clip but my laptop needs repairing before it'll be able to do anything!

Racky

ClioSport Club Member
  Minion Yellow
is there a clutch switch already in the car? it sounds like there might be then. It will however work without one as the switch just earths that pin when the pedal is depressed. You'll need clip to turn cruise control on in the clocks. I have clip but my laptop needs repairing before it'll be able to do anything!

Thank you GrahamS.
If you have a copy of the software, we could use my laptop, if that helps.

About the clutch switch, the car only had the bracket for it. I could not see any wiring for it also.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Thank you GrahamS.
If you have a copy of the software, we could use my laptop, if that helps.

About the clutch switch, the car only had the bracket for it. I could not see any wiring for it also.
Your laptop would need to be a 32bit OS for it to work. I should have mine up and running in a few weeks.

Sounds like the wiring stops at the bulkhead connector.

Iceberg 172
^ ignore all of that. All PH2 172's have the correct wring in place. The below was fitted to a 2001 Y plate ph2.
New switch panel
View attachment 956231
View attachment 956232
Then a new steering wheel and squib fitted:
View attachment 956233
View attachment 956234
Which then enabled:
View attachment 956235
View attachment 956236
Fit a clutch switch or, bridge the connection(I did this, I'm used to driving an auto with cruise, so don't cancel my cruise control with the clutch)
Cruise control. DONE.
This looks great... just checked and my 53 plate 172 has the wiring for cruise control by the looks of it... it already has ESP. What is the squib? I'm aware I need a new 182 wheel, the switch panel and a few other bits. Can you name the parts I need so I know exactly what to get? Is it hard to install?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
This looks great... just checked and my 53 plate 172 has the wiring for cruise control by the looks of it... it already has ESP. What is the squib? I'm aware I need a new 182 wheel, the switch panel and a few other bits. Can you name the parts I need so I know exactly what to get? Is it hard to install?
You need the cruise control buttons for the steering wheel. You can either cut your existing airbag or use a cruise airbag for the best finish. The cruise panel and button will plug in. Check if you have a clutch switch installed. The squib is the rotating assembly behind the steering wheel which the airbag and horn attach to. Cruise control versions have an extra plug for the wheel buttons to plug in to.

Iceberg 172
You need the cruise control buttons for the steering wheel. You can either cut your existing airbag or use a cruise airbag for the best finish. The cruise panel and button will plug in. Check if you have a clutch switch installed. The squib is the rotating assembly behind the steering wheel which the airbag and horn attach to. Cruise control versions have an extra plug for the wheel buttons to plug in to.
Thankyou for your detailed reply, appreciate that. What does the clutch switch look like?

So essentially, if I get the cruise panel with switches, and a cruise control steering wheel and the hub wiring, I should have all the bits?
If I have a clutch switch that is

Looking at the cost of some of the retrofit bits makes me grimace. If one was prepared to do without the features like adjusting speed up and down, or recalling the last speed and instead just wanted to option to "hold current speed", I assume things could be simplified considerably?

The clutch switch and dash panel are cheap enough, but if a simple switch could be employed in lieu of the steering wheel switches and ABS squib, all the better.

Has anyone looked into the wiring in detail?

Thanks

Clio 2 ph2
found it have the two wired for the clutch switch hidden inside the insulation of the loom shorted them together and the CC worked fine !

the can was a NON RS 1.4 16V mk2 ph2 Clio Gasoline K4J engine
Hello. Can you tell me where exactly those wires found? or why they are colored. I would be very grateful if there is a photo.
Thank you for the help.

Clio Sport 2.0 16V
Hi all,

Sorry for resurrection of old thread...I am in process of sourcing parts for cruise control/limiter retro fitting acording this thread. All is clear but I dont know how or where to install clutch pedal switch, in car I dont see any hole simmilar to hole where brake pedal switch is installed or where to install bracket for switch...Can someone please post a picture of pedal assembly with installed clutch pedal switch? Thank you very much!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Hi all,

Sorry for resurrection of old thread...I am in process of sourcing parts for cruise control/limiter retro fitting acording this thread. All is clear but I dont know how or where to install clutch pedal switch, in car I dont see any hole simmilar to hole where brake pedal switch is installed or where to install bracket for switch...Can someone please post a picture of pedal assembly with installed clutch pedal switch? Thank you very much

it’s a separate bracket which you can bolt onto a pedal box which doesn’t have it.

Clio Sport 2.0 16V
it’s a separate bracket which you can bolt onto a pedal box which doesn’t have it.
...so all what I need for switch installation is "7700430730 Clutch plastic housing for the switch" (from 1st post) and switch itself, am I right? Anyway, picture would be helpful. Thank you!

Racky

ClioSport Club Member
  Minion Yellow
I've done this retrofit twice and never installed the clutch switch. First time it looked like it was there already as the cable was in the ECU, but I couldn't see the switch, and second time didn't put one, and it worked like that also. So you migh be able to get away without it if you want

Clio Sport 2.0 16V
I've done this retrofit twice and never installed the clutch switch. First time it looked like it was there already as the cable was in the ECU, but I couldn't see the switch, and second time didn't put one, and it worked like that also. So you migh be able to get away without it if you want
That is option too...What I have read so far is that wiring is completly ready (my car is 2003 Ph2 172) for retrofiting of CC, so there are all conectors, except wheel adapter with four cables...Without clutch switch CC will dont disable by clutch disengage and also is necessary make a bridge in clutch switch connector. So if connector is there I dont see reason why dont install clutch switch, especialy when its relatively cheap one...But thank you for advice!

Racky

ClioSport Club Member
  Minion Yellow
That is option too...What I have read so far is that wiring is completly ready (my car is 2003 Ph2 172) for retrofiting of CC, so there are all conectors, except wheel adapter with four cables...Without clutch switch CC will dont disable by clutch disengage and also is necessary make a bridge in clutch switch connector. So if connector is there I dont see reason why dont install clutch switch, especialy when its relatively cheap one...But thank you for advice!
Forgot to mention on the earlier post that I've done the retrofit for the 1.5 dci. On the 2nd car I retrofit it, cc was disengaging when clutch was pressed also, and I had no wire in the ECU for the clutch switch. I found that weird but ..it worked so let it like that

I also had functioning Cruise control the first time I retrofitted it due to getting the wrong clutch switch.
The result is just a much more “crude” operation of the system but it will detect the car slowing down and disengage.
It’s obviously better to have the clutch switch (and the right one. There’s options there..) but it can work without it.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Help needed,

I completed the retrofit the other week and only managed to get the car out last night for a test. Till this point pressing the cruise/limiter button I would get the light on the cluster and SET--- would show. The limiter works just fine letting me set and adjust, cancel and resume, however, the cruise doesn't work at all. It just sits at SET--- and pressing the + or - buttons don't set a speed.

Have I missed something in the install?

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
No idea, where do I look?
Above the clutch pedal, basically it's the same as the brake light switch. From memory there should be a purple plug loose above the clutch pedal if switch isn't installed.

This is the part number I have written down for the switch I bought 7700431512

Last edited:

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Above the clutch pedal, basically it's the same as the brake light switch. From memory there should be a purple plug loose above the clutch pedal if switch isn't installed.

This is the part number I have written down for the switch I bought 7700431512
Is that the plug when referring to bridging the connection when going down the pikey route?

Not sure about the pikey route, but there should be a dangling plug (can be purple, can be white) if no switch is installed.
the switch fits inside a cutout in the pedal box, it's a 90 degree twist kind of deal, no fasteners or clips.

I had to buy mine, which was the purple type (looked blue to my colorblind eyes), all I did was look at the color of the dangling plug, and search "renault clutch switch" on ebay. An espace one looked promising, fitted first time, bosh.

Not the most scientific method but worked for me, assuming this is your problem.

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
Is that the plug when referring to bridging the connection when going down the pikey route?
Like Mazz has said I am not sure of the pikey route as I had the purple plug just dangling, I just didn’t have the switch.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Cheers guys, I will give them a go and have a look, it's a PH2 172 so assuming there isn't a clutch switch.

As for the bodge, I remember reading somewhere in the absence of a switch you can bridge the cables into getting it to think a switch is present but pressing the clutch won't disengage cruise.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
the normal position of the switch simply earths one of the ECU pins. If you had access to clip you’d be able to see the status in the functions menu

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
the normal position of the switch simply earths one of the ECU pins. If you had access to clip you’d be able to see the status in the functions menu
I don't have access and sounds a lot harder than just buying a £10 switch but that sounds like what I have read in the past before taking this on. Thanks for the help Graham

Clio Sport 2.0 16V
In terms of clutch switch installation, in my 2003 Ph2 172 there was missing connector for that switch. From R35 connector, I had wiring harness no. 8200233651 leading to throttle potentiometer, this particular wiring harness dont have connector for clutch switch, you need wirring harness no. 8200234517 which have purple connector for clutch switch. It is still available from Renault for around 77€ in my country, what is a lot for a piece of wirring. So I decided add that missing connector to original wirring harness, which turned out quite well. I used two male a two female pins from super seal connectors set, two pieces of wire and job is done :) CC and also SL works absolutely fine. For better imagination see a pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_1729.JPEG
    IMG_1729.JPEG
    532.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1730.JPEG
    IMG_1730.JPEG
    460.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1731.JPEG
    IMG_1731.JPEG
    446.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1732.JPEG
    IMG_1732.JPEG