ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cruise Control Problem

MINI JCW
I have got a problem with my cruise control on the 182. Basically when I switch the engine on and press the button the little green symbol comes on and it works fine but after I stop using it (say to break for traffic or something) then the bloody thing stops working. I can mess about with the button but the green symbol wont come back on. (The speed limiter works all the time though) This will be the case until the next time I start the engine and then the process starts again.

Anyone any ideas how to fix this? or is it a case of taken it to the boys at Renault?

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
I know of a problem with the brake sensor.. it thinks your braking when your not.. hence the CC stops working...

Have you checked your brake light?

impreza sti prodrive
my cc doesnt work either. when i set of i flick the switch & the green light comes on but non of my controls work on the steering wheel but yet the speed limiter works all the time & so does the buttons on the wheel aswell.:S

MINI JCW
I have checked all my brake lights and they are all fine. Anyone any ideas?

Otherwise its off to Renault

Tangoed Works
You sure you are doing over 20mph. It only works from then. Also, once you have come off cruise the green light will go out. To get it to work again, just press the resume button.

MINI JCW
You sure you are doing over 20mph. It only works from then. Also, once you have come off cruise the green light will go out. To get it to work again, just press the resume button.

LOL Yes i know how to work it! basically when i first start the car it works fine then it after mins of driving or so it no longer works. It is though it is detecting a fault so disabling it so when you press the resume button nothing happens then if you flick the main switch back to off then back to on again nothing happens, the speed limiter works fine though

Tangoed Works
weird, mine has done this once or twice but all fine for ages now. must be an intermittent thing on some. try pressing the plus or minus buttons to see if that starts it up again instead of resume?

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
I had exactly the same thing. The dealer replaced the brake sensor and that fixed it. The brakes lights always worked though.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo
the brake light switch is a double contact unit. the contacts that are relevant to injection/cruise control could fail but the contacts for the lights could still work. Any warning lights on relating to injection?

Clown Car
The brake light switch probably needs re-adjusting or replacing, when my needed doing i had the ABS, ESP and SERV lights on and my CC did not work, takes 2 mins to re-adjust the switch to test if that is the problem.

I came back from Newcastle around 4 months ago, used the Cruise for most of the journey, then around 100miles from home it simply wouldn't engage again, tried flicking the selection switch to speed limiter, made no difference.

Once I got home, switched the car off and then started it again, and all was well. I just assumed it might be a safety feature to make sure your not asleep, or at least means you have to pay attention more, guess its just its Renaultness that made it do it lol.

Mercedes SLK350
I came back from Newcastle around 4 months ago, used the Cruise for most of the journey, then around 100miles from home it simply wouldn't engage again, tried flicking the selection switch to speed limiter, made no difference.

Once I got home, switched the car off and then started it again, and all was well. I just assumed it might be a safety feature to make sure your not asleep, or at least means you have to pay attention more, guess its just its Renaultness that made it do it lol.

I had the switch unit replaced under warranty on my old 182 for this same problem.

It is a known problem.

MINI JCW
Problem sorted today under warranty apparently it was something to do with the brake sensor or something cant really remember what they said. The main thing is that it works!

ex Clio 172 owner :(
I have this problem on mine currently.

Can I change the brake sensor myself? Where is it and how much is it?

Or how much is it to replace at a dealer?

Cheers!

clio sport 172
i have have the same problem witht he SERV AND ESP light comeing on lots and at week end took out my crusie control as well , been in once no fault form booked in tomrow for another system digag .

as jay172 said, the brake light switch is a double contact switch, ive changed a few for causing the ABS/ESP lights to come on and also cruise control playing up, most times they tell the computer that the brakes are applyed when they are not,

when you fit them you are supposed to use a feeler gauge set to (iirc 1mm) in order to set them correctly, ie press the pedal down fully and fit the switch in place then use the feeler gauge placed between the switch contact and pedal then release the pedal slowly, the switch will click as the pedal rises, it should then be set

as said i think its 1mm but will have a look, not done one in months!

Clio 172 Cup
Does anyone have the part number for this brake switch that is the common failure for cruise control?

I spoke to Renault and they say there are 5 different switches!!! Im not sure if they mean 5 different switches for the 182 model, or 5 different switches fitted to each car, maybe that sounds a bit dumb, but im not technically minded when it comes to things like this :( :eek:

They want to book the car in to be checked (think theyre just being awkward to earn some money out of it as theyre not very busy at the minute!!!)

If someone knows the part number, this way I could get my trusted mechanic to switch the bit over and see if there is a fault with it or not :approve:

Each part he mentioned sounds cheap enough (under £20 each) but told me no refunds even on unused parts, so dont want to buy all 5 bits if I only need one :)