ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cruise control procedure???

Hi, ive had cruise on loads of cars & vans, but a bit baffled with this one.

Details:
2003, clio sport 172

Problem:
Cruise activated via dash switch (green light on dash)
Display says 'set-----'

Regardless to what steering wheel button i press the cruise will not start.

Questions:
Is this correct peocedure?
How do i test the buttons?
Is there a brake/clutch switch to test?

I really want this feature to work, so please help :)

RB Recaro'd 182 Cup
As far as i'm aware,

Switch on the cruise control, dash should say SET MPH with green light shown
Press + or - on steering wheel to set speed
Take feet off pedals.

I have the same problem and code reader returned brake pedal switch fault. Just a case of getting round to buying a replacement as the standard "fix" has not worked!

Should be as simple as pressing + or - to set the speed once you've switched on at the dash switch. Make sure your foot isn't even slightly resting on the clutch at the time as it won't work, it's very sensitive in my 200 at least.

Focus
I have the same problem and code reader returned brake pedal switch fault. Just a case of getting round to buying a replacement as the standard "fix" has not worked!

Would make sense I guess, if it's seeing the brake is pressed/fault in the breaking system I'm guessing it will de-activate it for safety reasons? May be a good place to start if you can't get it working as very cheap from Renault.

Yes thats what im doing.

The code reader doesnt pick up any faults at present.

Where is the brake switch?
Where is the clutch switch?
How do i remove the air bag?

Many thanks guys!

Audi A3
has the car had a different uch in it at all?

mines an 03 and has a uch from an 02 and because of this my cruise control doesnt work. you can, and i will, be going to renault and getting it reset so i can use the cruise control. does your esp work?

ph2 172
i have the same problem there is a switch on the seatbelt pretentioner thing on the drivers seat i dont know if this is ment to be attached to the seat sumwhere

Whats a 'uch'.

I have tried it above 30mph & and lifted pedals with feet upwards just incase of any slack.

I'm not getting any fault codes, think i want to check brake/clutch switches, and the buttons for the steer wheel.

Can anyone advise on how to test switches also how to get switches off steering wheel?

I have a multi meter and im a good fault finder when it comes to industrial air con and refrigeration... But im a novice in the car dept, but got the tools and willing to give it a go.

Plz help thanks

Audi A3
uch is a complicated fuse box, and as cruise control only came out in 03 any UCHs before this havnt got it set up.

Latest update i have the engine light on.... So i used fault scanner tool.

Got: P0500 Veh Speed Sensor 'A' fault

5ad0c4f4-30f4-f456.jpg

Any ideas???

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Here's a question...if you were to hold the Cruise Control and the 'R' button when doing over 20mph, does it stay on?

If it does, then the Cruise Control panel on the lower dash needs the metal 'V' pin stretching out slightly...mine did that when I first got mine and works fine now.

Just in case. :)

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Had a few beers now, so shall try the 2 buttons at once tomo!

Thats fine mate...just asking as it is what mine was like...and I thought that there should be no need for cruise control to be so complicated...then saw someone on here who explained what problem/issue and fix was...so did that and all worked fine ever since. (Just in case as its a cheap {read free of charge} fix) :)

Thats fine mate...just asking as it is what mine was like...and I thought that there should be no need for cruise control to be so complicated...then saw someone on here who explained what problem/issue and fix was...so did that and all worked fine ever since. (Just in case as its a cheap {read free of charge} fix) :)

Been out all day today in car trying all different variations, but no joy.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
have you taken apart the traction control panel and bent the metal sleeve behind the switch. sometime the sleeve goes flat and doesnt make connection?

have you taken apart the traction control panel and bent the metal sleeve behind the switch. sometime the sleeve goes flat and doesnt make connection?

Ive only just bought the car, so i dont know whats been done with it.
Could you explain what pannel & sleeve i need to look at.
I will then try tonight when im home.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Ive only just bought the car, so i dont know whats been done with it.
Could you explain what pannel & sleeve i need to look at.
I will then try tonight when im home.

He means Cruise Control...its down the right hand side of the dashboard (where the headlight adjusters are on a normal 1.2 or Cup)

similar to this pic (obviously this isn't a Clio II)...its the button on the right.
IMG00079-20101014-1736.jpg

If you try to select Cruise Control (top one on switch) and it doesn't click, then the adjuster behind is the problem.

I thought thats what he meant, thanks.

Also can u give me any tips on airbag removal so i can check connections in steering wheel??

Kind regards

David.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I thought thats what he meant, thanks.

Also can u give me any tips on airbag removal so i can check connections in steering wheel??

Kind regards

David.

disconnect battery and leave for 20-30mins
tilt steering wheel 90 degrees left and right for access to undo 2 clips at the back of the wheel (the horn may need to be pressed for more access)
once loose unclip the airbag clips.

Last edited:

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
disconnect battery and leave for 20-30mm
tilt steering wheel 90 degrees left and right for access to undo 2 clips at the back of the wheel (the horn may need to be pressed for more access)
once loose unclip the airbag clips.

Make note of radio code before doing the battery disconnection (just to be on safe side) :)

Renaultsport Clio 172
You need ECU reprogramming. I had this same issue on my 182 (factory loaded CC option) and in my 172 (CC feature added using second hand parts). When mapping it with the rstuner Henk was very kind to fix it for me in both cases. A bit expensive buying an rstuner to just activate the cc, but worth it if you are remapping or if you already have an rstuner. Also you can just borrow one from a friend and try an oem software/calibration, or ask Henk for help. you just need to know a friend with an rstuner and buy the license.

ALL ph2 172/182 have the cc feature, even cars without all the hardware (buttons) can be converted easily by grabing second hand parts from here (FACT, I have DONE this, no UCH programing required as some have said here).

Audi A3
Maupineda - how did you manage to "activate" your cc then? I've just swapped over my uch from a 2002 model (mines 03) and now my cc or ESP switches don't seem to work and I assumed this was because of the uch not having it programmer in with the model it came off not having it.
Cheers mate

Golf GTD Mk7
You need ECU reprogramming. I had this same issue on my 182 (factory loaded CC option) and in my 172 (CC feature added using second hand parts). When mapping it with the rstuner Henk was very kind to fix it for me in both cases. A bit expensive buying an rstuner to just activate the cc, but worth it if you are remapping or if you already have an rstuner. Also you can just borrow one from a friend and try an oem software/calibration, or ask Henk for help. you just need to know a friend with an rstuner and buy the license.

ALL ph2 172/182 have the cc feature, even cars without all the hardware (buttons) can be converted easily by grabing second hand parts from here (FACT, I have DONE this, no UCH programing required as some have said here).

Maupineda - how did you manage to "activate" your cc then? I've just swapped over my uch from a 2002 model (mines 03) and now my cc or ESP switches don't seem to work and I assumed this was because of the uch not having it programmer in with the model it came off not having it.
Cheers mate

It sounds like Maupineda is getting confused to me. The UCH units have an option to turn CC on and off. If you replaced the UCH/ECU/Key set off another car with CC, then you shouldn't have to programme anything. However, models that don't have CC ie. 172 cup/ ph1 172, they will not have this function switched on. I'm not sure what he's on about regarding ECU reprogramming and CC also. RSTuner doesn't give you this option? Maybe what he's saying is lost in translation.

Listerine & Poledo
daft question but the car is above 30mph when your trying?

Does that matter?

I can use CC as low as 20 if I ask it to.

but mine has this problem where it wont notice it's not up to speed for a few second, so you give it a prod of throttle and it then wakes up and runs fine again. Strange little machine

Audi A3
Jonny1*2 i was under the same impression as you, the UCH im using is off a 2002 model with no cruise control and once fitted to mine (2003) ive lost this function. just need a 'clip' machine to activate this part of the uch i think

Golf GTD Mk7
Jonny1*2 i was under the same impression as you, the UCH im using is off a 2002 model with no cruise control and once fitted to mine (2003) ive lost this function. just need a 'clip' machine to activate this part of the uch i think

that you do mate. It's a 5 min job for someone who's got one as long as the UCH has the config there to activate

Clio 172 ph2
the UCH doesn`t contain the info for the CC . The CC info is in the ECU .I have 2 ECU , one from my 172 ph2 stock ,and one mapped with the RStuner . The one with the RStuner doesn`t work ,only the one with OEM software . If you connect with renault clip on the ECU you will see that the CC information is given by the ECU , the cruise button functions ... same by the ECU . The ecu needs reprogaming with a CC software .

To make my cruise control you use the button next to the ESP and a orange symbol will come up then you use the steering wheel buttons then to make the car go faster or slower only down fall is you got to keep your foot on the throttle only lightly and it will work.

Golf GTD Mk7
where in the injection comp is the CC activation on CLIP? Never noticed it when looking to be fair. It was defo in the Connection Unit config.

Clio 172 ph2
you have to reprogram the ECU with a new flash file that contains CC info , you cannot on off it .That`s why when you program the ECU with a fastchip .rst file you lose the CC and have to ask Henk for a .rst that contains cruise control .I believe the same thing can be done at Renault dealership.
If the ecu contains CC info when you start the CC the ECU already shows all the CC functions .Without reprogramming the ECU i doubt the CC will work .
To make my cruise control you use the button next to the ESP and a orange symbol will come up then you use the steering wheel buttons then to make the car go faster or slower only down fall is you got to keep your foot on the throttle only lightly and it will work.
that`s speed limiter , not cruise control .

Golf GTD Mk7
ah ok. I'm with you now. Could have sworn I saw something in the UCH section. Reprogramme can be done with CLIP yes.

The orange light is the speed limiter function, the green light is cruise control.

Clio 1.6 16v
Hello!

I saw this post on cliosport forum :))

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showt...CRUISE+CONTROL

I have Clio 1.6 16v 2001 VIN: VF1CB1D0F25338475

I have also bought all the stuff for Cruise control. I have the same problem.
The CC/Limiter doesn't work. And If I turn on the CC/limiter It won't hold my speed
The same problem like your vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmPXkn8SE8E
And this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZzJQviHkto

Can you please tell me if you have to hack different car's ECU firmware (with CC/limiter),
or they just update with new version for your car (the same VIN).

Do you have info (mail) of person that can do that?? Did you upgrade ECU
on RENAULT service?

I have CLIP 1.23 an Renault REPROG 1.05. Do I need to update UCH also??
Where can I find CLIO firmware with integrated cruise control/limiter function??
Please help if you can.

Thank you in advance

Gorazd