ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cruise control ?

was black/gold ff 182
right this may be a real daft question sorry if so , but me and my mate were discussing if you are driving around with your cruise control are you using same petrol consumption as if you are using the gas pedal , i know revs will be same etc, no it's a bit random just wondered if anyone could answer it

Well, it'll be different.

If you're cruising along a motorway at 70 and you come to an incline and you're using your foot then you may well just leave your foot where it is and the car may slow 3mph or so and the speed back up when you get on the flat.
If you were using cruise control then the car may put extra fuel in to stay at 70mph so you'd use slightly more.

Just an example.

Trophy #267
id disagree

on cruise you will maintain a constant speed and constant revs.
Normal driving you will be slightly more stop start and hence waste enrgy and therefore use more petrol.

long motorway runs being best example.
is certainly the way i have used it !

Black Ph1 172
I agree if cruise control is being used I would say it is slightly more economical than not using it as the throttle is so precise, there's no fluctuation from the pedal that would happen with your foot, from my experience anyway!

was black/gold ff 182
yeah i was thinking the same as you wolf359, sorry to start such a interesting convo but just wondered if anyone knew

In my works car though, when it detects the car drop from 70mph, it increases the throttle.

When I am driving down the same road in my car (without cc) I generally just leave my foot still. That was my example.

Although there are advantages like the throttle is constant (until the car begins to slow).

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
i think it uses more fuel
iirc when Clarson drove from Scotland to London in a A8 diesel (i think) on 1 tank of fuel Audi told him not to use any electronics inc cruise control

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Cruise control does use more fuel, it basicaly throws petrol into the engine until the correct speed is reached. So going up motorway hills you will see people without cruise control drop behind and people with cruise control fly up the hill!

Cruise control maintains speed at all costs believe me.

Clown Car
Most Road Transport companies train and encourage their drivers to use cruise control as much as possible in order to save on fuel, it has been proved that you can save on fuel by getting up to speed as quick as possible which cruise control will do.

ex Clio 172 owner :(
I must admit on cruise I set it at 70 and therefore drive more economically, being less tempted to overtake needlessly by giving it the odd hoof. I don't worry about getting speeding tickets and just relax. Great for maintaining correct speed through roadworks.

That's when it works anyway.

lift number 1 @ btm
in my experience, i use much less fuel with cruise control, i get about 30/32 mpg normally, but have seen 45 on the motorway using cruise.

You'd still get 45 ish mpg without cruise on a motorway if you're smooth. Easier to be smooth though with crooooz.

lift number 1 @ btm
thats what i mean, the best example is the number of people who overtake you, but then slow down. using the cruise really highlights that!

I've never used cruise on a manual car, only auto's. What happens when say you get to a steep hill and you should really be changing gear? My works car drops it down a gear, but that can't happen in a manual.

It can struggle a little but it's rare with it being 2 litre. I would just press the + a little to speed up a bit or even just take over myself temporarily.

BMW M135i
I'd say it uses a little more fuel but nothing to worry about, like the way it boots it to get back up to 70 if you press resume at 40 or so. And it seems to have a little less finesse with the throttle than the old right boot does, but who cares its cool as!

My work car is a 2.5 v6 and it has to change down sometimes lol
Mondeo? Theres far more weight for the engine to drag around and they make less power than the 172.

clio 182 + cup packs
if like cruise control u maintained the same speed say 70mph on the motorway and that means accelrating and deccelerating up and down hills to aintain the said speed you will use more fuel with cruise control switched as its using current from the battery witch means the alternators has to work harder witch uses more fuel, this is only a tiny amount more but over say 400mile motor way journy it may be a few miles off ya tank but very little