ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crunch!

Anyone know why my gearbox has just started crunching only when its put into 3rd gear? 1st, 2nd, 4th & 5th is fine but there is always a slight crunch when its put into 3rd, similar to when it crunchies when you put it in reverse.....

Being the mechanical fool that I am, does this mean that if the syncromesh on my 3rd gear has gone, ill need a whole new gearbox? Please dont tell me this is the case. If this is the case can someone tell me how much I could be looking at?!?

well you have 2 options
1) get your existing box repaired/rebuilt
2) get a second hand box

if you go for 1 then you will have to ring round and get a quote of some gearbox rebuilders. (loads in autotrader)

if you go for 2 then renault breakers will do them for £200. (there are loads in the back of the autotrader)

what was you intending to do about removing the engine and box?

perhaps it would be easier to let a trusted local garage do the lot. they will send your box off to be repaired.

as to cost! unfortunatley how long is a piece of string mate. engine and box removal on a valver is a pain in the a$$ big style!

Ok, heres a tip from me..

this is ewhat we used to do to the rally cars and it usually worked fine !>

At first sign of synchro problems..

Drain the gearbox oil completely.

Fill with ATF - auto transmission fluid.

drive it for 2-3 weeks.. then drain and refil with recommended oil.

Often synchro problems are simply the result of glazing on the cones.. The ATF works, not only as a lubricant, but as a great flushing and cleaning fluid.

try it.. you might like the results.

Joe.