ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CTR vs. 182

Have recently test driven both cars, have to say the CTR is fooking quick in a straight line, but i had no confidence in its cornering ability, I felt i could drive no harder round the twisties then i can my current clio. Then the 182, and wow, much nicer car, definately more driver focused and will be next car when i come to buy one. The difference in cornering ability and the driveability of the engine, was amazing, it all felt so much smoother than the CTR. The CTR may have sounded good, but the 5k kick and handling of the 182 just kept a smile on my face all the way round!

the vtec was no where near as obvious as the clios 5k kick, infact, I found the vtec more annoying than anything else, it seems to build up slowly then a sudden small boost at the end of the rev range, making a very strange and for me very unpredictable power curve

53 plate Clio 172

Having driven a CTR and now owning a 172, i have to say the Clio is without the nicer car to drive.

Speed wise its even but think the handling of the Clio puts it WAY ahead

2005 Impreza WRX STI

no chance. a ctrs vtec is awesome! and quicker than a 172

bet this goes on for a few pages!:p "oh no it isnt"

2005 Impreza WRX STI

haha and u dont have to rev the clio?!

unless u have a turbo or supercharged its never going to be quick at low revs! and as for the small vtec at the end of the revs????? it starts about 5-6k and goes over 8k! before that its still not slow like ppl make out!

tiTTy & SV650

mates had 2 CTRs and said exactly what I said, he was sick of going into bends holding high revs to keep the speed on. 6-7k rpm in a bend, novelty soon wears off!

my only problem with the vtec was it wasnt fun, it builds up slowly and u dont really knoiw its there untill the last feww thousand revs, by which time its very interesting.

VaVa

CTR is a cracking motor. nearly bought one when I got the 172. Just couldnt get my head around the way it looks, or the poxy steering.

Theyre not as shy of torque out of VTEC as some people seem to think. Very useable at lowish revs imho, and I thought it handled pretty well - less twitchy than the Clio, cornered flatter and had bags of grip. Ultimately not as fun or flexible as the Clio in my opinion, and the spec sheet of the CTr is a bit embarassing compared to the Clio.

All round a better car, but more expensive.

The Honda is the faster better built car, but its not as good value for money and ultimately just isnt as much fun to drive.

Just my opinion of course. One could just as easily argue that the engine and box alone, are worth the extra cash for the CTR, and Id agree on some days, and argue on others :)

Both superb machines and both are great value in performance terms. Both cars will lay waste to a lot more expensive machinary. I often wish I had chosen the CTR, but equally as often, Im glad I didnt. Theyre that close in my eyes that its hard to split them.

the vtec doesnt kick like in the old vtis its a lot smoother in the new type rs hence it not actually feeling that fast, but it is!

Snotter's

soon as you re-map a type r the v-tec kick goes anyway,i have a m8 who has a slightly modded v-tec and he reckons its a bit of a gimmick for honda.Hes just done breathing mods and a re-map and it puts out 199 bhp at the wheels

Quote: Originally posted by SOHROB on 27 August 2005
soon as you re-map a type r the v-tec kick goes anyway,i have a m8 who has a slightly modded v-tec and he reckons its a bit of a gimmick for honda.Hes just done breathing mods and a re-map and it puts out 199 bhp at the wheels

199ATW? By breathing mods, do you mean supercharger? :p

Snotter's

nope,manifold,de-cat,full system,relocated induction kit and re-map.to be fair i was quite shocked but i have seen to printouts so got no reason to doubt

Yaris Hybrid

I drove my friends CTR and the kick isnt as noticeable as the 182s. He now has an S2k and I cant feel any kick what so ever in that, the power just builds up consistantly rather than coming in a surge. If you are driving on an empty dual carriageway with no points of reference you cannot feel any difference in performance between those three cars, if anything the "feel" is in reverse order to reality as the Clio with its kick and torque steer feels faster and more frantic where as the S2k with its steady delivery feels slowest.

The CTR was definitely quicker than the 182 though as it would start to pull on the 182 at 80+ and at 120 when you slot into 5th the Clio just dies whilst the CTR keeps going. The CTR did have really light steering with masses of assistance, obviously that has implications for your confidence but does not mean that it doesnt have as much grip as the 182.

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 27 August 2005
I drove my friends CTR and the kick isnt as noticeable as the 182s. He now has an S2k and I cant feel any kick what so ever in that, the power just builds up consistantly rather than coming in a surge. If you are driving on an empty dual carriageway with no points of reference you cannot feel any difference in performance between those three cars, if anything the "feel" is in reverse order to reality as the Clio with its kick and torque steer feels faster and more frantic where as the S2k with its steady delivery feels slowest.The CTR was definitely quicker than the 182 though as it would start to pull on the 182 at 80+ and at 120 when you slot into 5th the Clio just dies whilst the CTR keeps going. The CTR did have really light steering with masses of assistance, obviously that has implications for your confidence but does not mean that it doesnt have as much grip as the 182.

Totally agree with all of that, and Ive driven all three. The CTR does have at least as much grip as the Clio, it just doesnt feel like it does (to me)

ive driven my mates CTR a few times and to drive i wasnt impressed at all with the speed of it or the way it drove. it felt very vague and couldnt really feel anything through the pedals or steering wheel. gearbox was very nice and crisp and positioned amazingly, but they are fast despite feeling otherwise when driving, the experience in the passenger seat when on VTEC is quite scary at times, certainly get a good sense of speed there. i wouldnt buy one tho, even if you can get 200bhp ATW out of them...

As a side note, and in reference to what Dave182 said some time ago.

The 5000rpm kick in the 182 is much less violent with ESP switched off. The torque steer and tramlining is still there, but I think thats a side effect of having such sublime steering in a front drive roller skate with 180bhp. Ive said before, here and elsewhere, that I think the dumbing down of the steering in front drive super hatches is why they dont suffer from torque steer as much as they otherwise might.

Personally I love the Clios squirming wheel, and the whole cars fidgety skippy nature. As Clarkson said - "So...thats a 182 brake horse power....IN a car...thats small enought to be a SLIPPER"

Yaris Hybrid

I remember Dave182 saying that so I turned the ESP off a few times to test it out but couldnt honestly feel the difference. That was on dual carriageway though, whether it would be a different story on wet or uneven roads I couldnt say. I guess on a dead straight smooth piece of dual carriageway the ESP doesnt need to do much when it kicks in second gear.

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 27 August 2005BORING

Posting boring in topics that you find boring is boring ;)

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

the ctr needs to have the tits revved off it all the time, it does out perform the clio, only just. BUT

ctr: difficult to keep revs high enough all the time through the twisties, horrid gear lever position- i keep missing gears!. rubbish looks and rubbish interior.

clio: NASTY DRIVING POSITION - and thats all thats really wrong with it

result: clio wins, by a rather tasty nose!

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 27 August 2005
Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 27 August 2005BORING

Posting boring in topics that you find boring is boring ;)

nope, this is the most boring over repeated topic, it should actually be a banning offense

i dont see why, this forum is for people to disucss things, if you dont wanna read it then dont bother it was quite obviously a Civic Type R compared to a Clio 182 post by the name of it, so if you find these posts boring why even click on it in the first place. people who make pointless comments in threads like these and as another example, the detailing threads, really piss me off and i think they are the ones who should be band. THERE IS NO NEED to criticise what other people use the forum to discuss as long as it is appropriate to the website and placed in the appropriate part of the site. Point of this post, if you dont want to read posts about detailing or CTRs vs 182s dont open the threads then you wont feel the need to post stupid remarks and make me write long posts having a b**ch at you!

Snotter's

to be fair though knowbody is forced into reading it are they ? so the boring comment is kinda pointless,i find it interesting but maybe im just boring

Final Maxim you have totally missed my point, you dont have to read these posts if they dont interest you. You are obviously interested in something to do with it though as you keep on opening the post to read it. If you arent just sop reading it and stop posting commments on it, its just a waste of your time and if you have nothing better to do then tell people that what they are talking about is boring then i think you need to go out more. it really bugs me that people on here feel the need to put up stupid rekmarks on topics they have no interest in although there are plenty of other people on here that do find them of interest. Basically what im saying is, if you dont want to read about then F*CK OFF!

Punto/Clio GTT

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 27 August 2005

I cringed when i saw this topic.

lol same, its like when i see a williams vs 172 or somethin else stupid its like ahhh ffs give it a rest already, use the search function

RS-1, Bebop, CTR

were there ever any mk1 type-r civics imported in GB??

i reckon its quite a peace of work, with 185 hp, around 950kg and 5.9s from 0-60...

its obviously faster then a 182 in a straight line, wonder could it match the clio on the track? :D

[Edited by Loopz on 28 August 2005 at 12:06am]

M5,Range Rover Sport & R1

same old story on this one...

basically the clio is more of the drivers car,

as for the CTR >>> SH*TE, but it has a good gearbox LOL;)