ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cup and weight



  S-Max
I DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, want to start another "my cars faster than yours thread" we have had too many and anyone with any intelligence knows the pro's and cons to a 172/182 cup and ff.

To my point..........

I noticed yesterday when carrying a passenger (something I do rarely) how much slower my car was... He weighed 80kg which is the difference in weight between a cup and ff and was I relieved when I dropped him at Luton airport!
 
  197
keben6 said:
I DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, want to start another "my cars faster than yours thread" we have had too many and anyone with any intelligence knows the pro's and cons to a 172/182 cup and ff.

To my point..........

I noticed yesterday when carrying a passenger (something I do rarely) how much slower my car was... He weighed 80kg which is the difference in weight between a cup and ff and was I relieved when I dropped him at Luton airport!
Excess baggage!
 
  172 Cup
I've thought the same thing before now, when carrying a passenger you can tell the slight performance drop. Shame 172 owners can't just kick their passengers out to get rid of the weight. :p
 
These cars are effected by weight because it's all about power/weight. A very torquey turbo lump wouldn't be as effected.
 
  RenaultSport 172 cup
Yeah I find that too. Well happy not to carry passengers. Just a little off topic, but I noticed that my front left wheel locks up before my right under heavy braking without a passenger, but is fine with a mate in the passenger seat. Anyone else noticed this?
 
  Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I had 4 others in my Cup last weekend....slightly naughty as it can't accomodate 3 in the back but it was a wedding runner so needs must, but god the thing felt like i was towing another car.....still i did chuck it round a 180 degree slip road much faster than i should have done and the thing just stuck.

Felt like dropping them all off and going back to play!
 
mikey 172 said:
Yeah I find that too. Well happy not to carry passengers. Just a little off topic, but I noticed that my front left wheel locks up before my right under heavy braking without a passenger, but is fine with a mate in the passenger seat. Anyone else noticed this?

Yep. I've never locked the right wheel, only the left (always with just me in the car). Shows how finely balanced the car is I guess. I can also really feel the difference of a full tank too, particularly braking.
 
  Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well its always nice when you come to the end of a full tank of V-Power thats for sure.
Nice and light....but knowing that you will shortly have to shell out ANOTHER £40 to Mr Shell.
 

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
mikey 172 said:
Just a little off topic, but I noticed that my front left wheel locks up before my right under heavy braking without a passenger, but is fine with a mate in the passenger seat. Anyone else noticed this?

Mine's been like that from day one on original set-up, and now I've changed things it still does it. Having another 75-80 kgs on the left side of the car seems to help it quite a bit.
 
  Golf 7R
MarkCup said:
Mine's been like that from day one on original set-up, and now I've changed things it still does it. Having another 75-80 kgs on the left side of the car seems to help it quite a bit.

Yes having an average weight passenger, does seem to balance the car a tad.
 
  Burgandy 174 sport t
keben6 said:
I DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, want to start another "my cars faster than yours thread" we have had too many and anyone with any intelligence knows the pro's and cons to a 172/182 cup and ff.

To my point..........

I noticed yesterday when carrying a passenger (something I do rarely) how much slower my car was... He weighed 80kg which is the difference in weight between a cup and ff and was I relieved when I dropped him at Luton airport!

didnt take u long to pull the fishing rod out today mate,
 
  172 Cup
I've never noticed one wheel locking up before the other before. Mind you I take it easy in the wet so I rarely lock anything up.
 
  RenaultSport 172 cup
Don't really see what the camber of the road has to do with it. Even on the perfectly flat 'road' I have at work it still locks up, even in the dry but not as much as in the wet
 
  Jag Mondeo -Type
Try driving on the wrong side of the road and locking up, i think the left front would still lock up first.
 
duncansharp said:
Try driving on the wrong side of the road and locking up, i think the left front would still lock up first.

Think you might see some other cars locking up too.........
 
Weight makes such a difference in the clio...

Had a comparison of my 172FF against a Cup at a meet recently. I had a passenger, full tank, boot of tesco shopping - the cup had no back seats, 2 buckets and only a driver. I got shat on :(.

But when you think about it, the Cup must've been about 150-160kgs lighter than me:
difference between a std 172FF and a Cup = +70kgs
my passenger = +70kgs
shopping about = +10kgs
me having a back seat = +10kgs?
me not having buckets = +5kgs

So easy to save weight, definately the way forward*

*although I love my climate and leather :eek:
 


Top