ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CUP ATE ALFA FOR BREAKFAST

On the way home tonight I noticed a vechile approaching rather quickly I was in the outside lane minding my own doing the speed limit officer, when this car indicated for me to pull over, the cheek!

So I lent on my right foot till well a little faster and said object had disappeared, then I backed off so he could catch up and it was some Alfa 147 twin spark fancy thing, well enough fun, my little cup whipped it and the dumb tranny driver trying to keep up!

Love my cup, any challengers welcome! Not mad women in Scoobies, scarry!

Good to see you enjoying Renaults finest! Im sure you could find some more worthy Cup-fodder than a 2.0 0-60 in 9-secs Alfa!

Indeed but im never normally bothered but he indicated me to move over the cheeky sod!

That gets my goat up! And cup wasnt trying nor on perfect form!

I would say he was been damn rude and he got what he deserved a lesson in manors!

Cheek, bloody Italian rubbish and it was red anyone would think it was a ferrari, indicating to move out of the way! Ive neither been so offended!

320d M Sport

That GTA is ACE. Sat in it at the show and its got to be said theyve done a good job on it. Bit pricey but its fuggin quick.....

Paddy

GTA - quick as sin, but the engine will let go as soon as you thrash it, just like all other alfas

VW Potato

please, please, some respect. An Alfa Romeo is not Italian rubbish, any more than a Clio is French rubbish. While its slightly irrelevant now, bear in mind that Alfa Romeo has more race victories than any other car manufacturer (over 16,000). No one else even comes close. And remember, had Alfa never existed, chances are Ferrari wouldnt, either.

Additionally, the 147 2.0 is not a hot-hatch. Its a lovely car, but its not fast.

"but the engine will let go as soon as you thrash it, just like all other alfas"

with all due respect, thats rubbish. Alfa has more to tell about engine design than it has to learn. The Alfa V6 engine, in one form or another, has been about for over 20 years. Its main problems have been 1) lunching head gaskets, which was fixed back in 83/84. Between then and now, its proved to be a very, very durable engine (everything attached to it can be variable, however) and a popular choice for racers. While I agree the current twin sparks seem trouble prone (especially when drivers neglect to check the oil) the same cannot be said of the V6. I ran mine for five years with no mechanical problems, and even today, 30 years after Alfa first built the V6, it remains a peach of an engine, as well as proven to be fundamentally robust.

and hey, dont forget who put VVT technology into a production car in 1980 for use to enjoy today.

Lets play nice.

g

Agreed!! The V6 is the best 6cycl engine ever!! Shame 147s are so slow, still have an absurd ins group. Autodelta turbo the twinspark to have the V6s power of 220bhp and is still reliable.

My dad had a 250bhp V6 3.0 from them complete with 4 exhausts. Now id have that over a cup any day! You can pick up second hand ones for nothing as well, prefer them to TTs as well..

http://www.autodelta.co.uk/pics/customlist/engine.jpg

http://www.gtvv6.com/gallery/kc_gtv2.jpg

http://www.gtvv6.com/gallery/gtv_franco_belgium

Now lets take a step back, where did yu get 16,000 race wins from and at what level?

Alfas look nice and thats my opinion and probably well built and true the GTA is probaly loads quicker than my Cup but hey there crap and thats my humble opinion!

VW Potato

abbs, the 16,000k figure I have seen many times references to Alfas racing past, and I have no reason not to believe it. The levels I will check because I dont know them to be honest.

I dont mind if you dont like Alfas, but one thing is to say you dont like them, and the other is to dismiss them as crap. Id be interested to know why you think theyre crap, not because Ive any intention of changing your mind burt if you said you think theyre crap because they are slow or evil handling or something then that would shed some light on it.

Im also Italian so I was a little stung by the other comment made that they are Italian Rubbish. That hurt.

cheers,

g

Lets play nice children I know many owners who have complained about poor builtd quality and other niggling things!

Now chill out !

As I said were all entitled to out own opinion as this is a free world, well for the moment!

And I will say it again they look nice!

Opinion based on what?

Remember how old alfa romeo is...

Admittedly in handling terms the cup is better, but the alfa must be going on 10 years! It had very very good suspension, handling 220bhp in fwd is good going plus torque. Now a cup would struggle with that kind of power. I dont think your giving this car the credit it deserves. Its very pretty, very fast and was advanced when brought out.

How are they crap?

Alfa GTA, aye? Guess what weve got sitting on the driveway. Yes indeed, a 156 of the aforementioned specification :) Hopefully a 147 GTA will be joining it in the summer...

The engine *will not* let go as soon as you thrash it - trust me, Ive tried. Sure, it guzzled petrol, but then again if you were worried about fuel consumption you wouldnt be driving a 3.2 V6 in the first place...

Drive and own one, then comment...

Quote: Originally posted by abbs_172 on 03 January 2003

Now lets take a step back, where did yu get 16,000 race wins from and at what level?

Alfas look nice and thats my opinion and probably well built and true the GTA is probaly loads quicker than my Cup but hey there crap and thats my humble opinion!
Hahaha just noticed this little gem.

OK, lets compare "crap" Alfa Romeos (well include the GTA shall we?) with you so-called "superior" Renault Clio...

Build? Alfa 1. Renault 0.

Soul? Alfa 2. Renualt 0.

Performance? Alfa 3. Renault 0.

Soul? Alfa 4. Renault 0.

Looks? Alfa 5. Renault 0.

Care to go on?

Seems there are a lot of Children about tonight and if they ared toread the start of the forum they would possibly keep there opinions to them selfs as I arent to bothered for what they have to say!

Vibrio you have Punto GT there prams so please....

Scooterman you have a rover possibly one of the worst cars ever made...

And as I said im entitled to my opinion as you are too.......

Oh yes and what do you base your non bias test on? And the GTA wasnt mentioned!

Now learn to read and respect others views and opinions!

Oh yes and dont rember syaing that it took skill!

Just put it on the site because it pissed me off, thinking about now I bet your one those drivers who flashes there lights, in your Pram!

Oh yes Vibrio you put Soul 2! So your test is floored already! Not that it wasnt from the start!

Can all Clio owners please take not of this pointless thread!

Scooterman you have a rover possibly one of the worst cars ever made...
And as I said im entitled to my opinion as you are too.......

Oh yes and what do you base your non bias test on? And the GTA wasnt mentioned!
I know I have a Rover, and I know its sh*te. Next time tell me something I dont know...

What do I base my test on? Well, my expereince of owning a Renault, and having access to an Alfa Romeo GTA for a start. What makes you think Alfas are crap then?

As for the GTA thang - well you did say "Alfas", and as the GTA is an Alfa, well... :)

Yeah but read on dear boy and I know the gta is nice !

I dont disagree with that, as Ive said all along!

I just know and hear that the build quality is poor and the electrics are un-reliable!

And I know someone who used to race a private entry in the touring car championship a few years ago and tru they handle well but this was a touring car and not a road going car and had plenty of gizzmos!

And I beg the question if you have access to a GTA why do you drive a Rover, this may be silly question and I may well have lined my self up for a fall but do explain!

VW Potato

Abbs, sorry to be picky, but Im interested to know which of your two statements you currently believe in:

"I just know and hear that the build quality is poor"

or, maybe you prefer:

"...probably well built"

g

Vibrio you have Punto GT there prams so please....

Now learn to read and respect others views and opinions!
what are you on about. I just think that posting a thread about beating a significatly slower car and bragging about it is funny. obvious you never found it funny.

...I was in the outside lane minding my own doing the speed limit officer, when this car indicated for me to pull over, the cheek!

So, let me get this straight? You were in the outside lane. Did you have any reason to be? If not, Id say you were the cheeky...no, selfish and inconsiderate one for hogging the outside lane. Youd got a rear-view full of main beam if I were approaching from behind, and Im sure everyone else would be the same to...

CTR EK9 turbo

*Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk

*in the style of a loud chicken with a deep voice

(thats what i think of this thread)

(sorry)