ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup - Blue or Silver

I ordered a cup a few weeks back, due mid october. At the time I decided on Blue as thats the colour 99% of cups are and I felt that was one of the things that made it a cup. And of course it looks good. BUT now Im starting to wonder whether silver would have been a wiser choice. If Id gone for a 172 Id have got silver, it looks nice. Now Im thikning about the resale value (cos lets face it, Im gonna want a 180 when they come out!). A silver cup would be a rare beast, so would it be worth more 2nd hand ????

Any opinions ?

If its not too late I might be able to change my order, as the factory is supposed to be closed I doubt theyll have statred on my car yet.

320d M Sport

Silver Cup is going to be worth less I reckon. Cup BLue is ace looking and makes the car really stand out.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

If i was getting a Cup I would want a blue one.. i got a silver 172.. best colour for the 172

mk2 172

IMO a cup isnt a cup unless it is blue, there a special edition, remember all those months ago we were loving the colour and looks eager for it to come along lots of it cos of the lush colour, then they ruin it with a silver one!

Titanium 182

craggy, are you from ssc with silver vts?

im from the 2, but iv just got my self a clio :)

hi

sorry for thread hijack paulous2k! :)

mk2 172

im on ssc mate but i got me a black vts, are you called dean on the forum too?, infact yeah i know who ya are, take it you bought it in the end then:D

the blue the cup comes in is possibly one of the most repulsive shades they could of chosen.

It looks like something a 12yr old would paint their tonka truck if they had a choice. Its tacky.

Sorry, but it just looks plain cheap, and the blue trim......jesus, dont get me started.

Silver anyday.

Buy whichever colour you prefer. I dont think all this talk about silver is rare will make any difference to value in a few years time

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

I got a Mondial Blue Cup as that is the best colour IMO and the Cup is known for that colour.

But... the mk2 172 looks best in silver IMO

Silver is monotonous, every f**king car on the road is in silver, the blue looks great, and is unique to the 172 Cup, its a no brainer!

Rob

Ben R - I take it you dont like the Subaru WRC blue either then? Coz its practically the sameas the cup blue - how can you say you dont like the purple /blue flip of the cup is beyond me! Its unique! The new Golf R32, Peugeot 206 GTi 180 , Subaru Impreza WRX/Sti and the Citroen saxo all sport this blue or a very similar shade - its the colour of the moment and it defo stands out from silver, black, or any of the other bogo standard coloured cars you see all the time!!! I love it as Im sure do the other cup owners on here - it was the kinda decision make or break that made me buy the cup!

And a silver cup..........? Never meant to be..........itll just look like a 172 with a cloth interior and 172cup badges stuck on?

Here, in Belgium we have no choice. The so called Cup is named Ragnotti here, and is only known in the mondial blue color. Nice I must say.

If it aint Blue it aint a real Cup ! simple as that.

If you ABS, Aircon, leather seats or even any one of those what you have is:-

1) an overweight Cup. or,

2) a second rate 172

As for value, is a willy 1 worth more than a 2 ?

I rest my case. A real Cup is Blue !

172, Tiguan

My Cup is Silver, and after sitting in it yesterday I can confirm it is a real CUP.

Its all just personal opinion. I wanted to be different, so i chose a silver one.

If we lined all the Cups up, theyd all be blue, Boring! Except mine, which would stand out.

172, Tiguan

LOL! they are not too bad, cos theyve got a chrome effect.

its the yellow 172 badges that get me, the idiot a reno has stuck them on so crooked they say 112.

Think ill be buying some more!!

Nippy white cup

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 19 August 2003

I got a Mondial Blue Cup as that is the best colour IMO and the Cup is known for that colour.

But... the mk2 172 looks best in silver IMO
Totally agree with you Rich. The silver 172s look the buisiness but I loved the Cup blue from the off. Only one colour for the cup in my eyes!

Nippy white cup

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 19 August 2003

My Cup is Silver, and after sitting in it yesterday I can confirm it is a real CUP.

Its all just personal opinion. I wanted to be different, so i chose a silver one.

If we lined all the Cups up, theyd all be blue, Boring! Except mine, which would stand out.

True but wouldnt people just think that it is a 172? (apart from the front splitter)

172, Tiguan

Let them think that. I know its a Cup and the people in the know will know its a Cup. Thats all that matters to me.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

its the yellow 172 badges that get me, the idiot a reno has stuck them on so crooked they say 112.

Think ill be buying some more!!
LOL

Mine was the same and I picked them bits off...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Let them think that. I know its a Cup and the people in the know will know its a Cup. Thats all that matters to me.
If you like it who gives a rats @ss what anyone else thinks?!

Wouldnt do for us all to like the same stuff...

Quote: Originally posted by RSTDL on 19 August 2003

Ben R - I take it you dont like the Subaru WRC blue either then? Coz its practically the sameas the cup blue - how can you say you dont like the purple /blue flip of the cup is beyond me! Its unique! The new Golf R32, Peugeot 206 GTi 180 , Subaru Impreza WRX/Sti and the Citroen saxo all sport this blue or a very similar shade - its the colour of the moment and it defo stands out from silver, black, or any of the other bogo standard coloured cars you see all the time!!! I love it as Im sure do the other cup owners on here - it was the kinda decision make or break that made me buy the cup!
Nope, i dont like it either, it looks cheap and tacky. We had a V8 sprayed blue at owners request, and well, it looks crap.....like a plastic toy.

It may be the colour of the moment, it may be unique, it may stand out....but in the 70s, the colour of the period was poo brown, everything was brown.........sexy yes!

I just dont like it, other love it, but hell, you all talking about being different and unique, but im the only one saying i dont like a mass approved colour......i must be really cool! ;)

Anyhow, doesnt really matter..........

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

This is so funny. People are arguing the toss over what colour the cup should be..

Its not the colour that makes it a cup is it ?

If you like silver get a silver one, if you like blue get a blue one.

Do you own thing cause at the end of the day you have to live with the colour choice you made.

Yeah the point being though that the cup (like the williams) was marketed as a one colour only model (mondial blue) and thats what it should have been kept as - it made it unique, and that little bit different from the a standard red, black, blue or silver 172 - A cup in silver will always look like a 172 with a cheap interior and NOT like an original cup - nobody who sees one in silver is going to go "oh look, theres one of those 172 CUPs......" Sorry, but it shouldnt have been allowed - it kinda pisses of cup owners - just like the way they added climate control - I fail to understand how that would be top of the shopping list when purchasing a performance car? But yeah, after everything if silvers your thing get silver just be prepared for "oh I thought they were all made in that subaru blue colour........"

BenR - I take it you mean V6 sprayed blue? Did the customer not know that it was available in blue to start with (Oddysey blue for Mk1) or mondial blue for Mk2?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by RSTDL on 19 August 2003

Did the customer not know that it was available in blue to start with (Oddysey blue for Mk1) or mondial blue for Mk2?
The mk2 V6 blue is not Mondial mate...

Its called Illiad Blue, which is a "metallic supergloss illusion" paint apparently!

Well that was a good little debate. Anyway, Ive decided to stick with the blue. I managed to view a Cup and a Silver 172 with cup alloys and cup badges almost side by side today. (these 2 cars are always near each other in Billingham, anyones on here???). Anyway they both looked very nice, but the blue had the edge slightly. Still wish the interior was a bit better tho! ;)

your forgetting the the best blue is monaco blue for the 172;). But Id say its up to you what colour you want and sod what everyone else thinks.