ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup or Sport?

350z/172 cup
Hi there guys. Im looking to get my first clio and hoping to do so this weekend as i really need it as a run about as my main car is humping me for fuel.

What do you guys recommend going for, a 172 cup or a 172 sport?

I cant stretch to a 182 sadly as funds are locking me to around the £3k mark.

Thanks guys.

Evo 6, E92 320d
Well the cup doesn't have those extra luxuries, like leather, air con, xenons etc. Would that bother you?

BMW E46 330i Touring
If your max budget is £3k then I'd really stick to a Ph1 172 matey - you can get ph2 172's and Cups for this kind of money now, but they're not going to be the best examples around.

Also, it's a pretty big risk buying a 172, especially a Cup, without viewing first IMO. I viewed some 'mint' examples that were right dogs before finding mine.

rps13
depends on where you're going to be driving it and how,

if you've got a b road blast to work every day = cup

second car = cup

daily = 172

Chocolate Bar™
also worth getting a couple of insurance quotes, as i was physically unable to insure a cup due to the lack of ABS with most insurers.

Mazda 323f 2.0 sport
i've got a cup and havin no luxuries dont bother me,altho never driven a normal 172 lol.a use mine as a daily driver,only thing a would like the cup to have is the bright xenons the ff's have.

Astra van,Mk1 nova
cup all day long mate! The lack of abs,aircon etc doesnt bother me. But the seats and lights did, i bought a 8k hid conversion kit and the leather/alacantra interior for it now its perfect for me :D

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
personally id get a mk2 172 or a mk1 172. id want aircon not as much to keep me cool but to de mist my windows in the winter, thats the one thing i really miss when i drive the dci no aircon takes for ever to demist the windows!

A Flamin' Red one
personally id get a mk2 172 or a mk1 172. id want aircon not as much to keep me cool but to de mist my windows in the winter, thats the one thing i really miss when i drive the dci no aircon takes for ever to demist the windows!

Air con and the fan function are two different things are they not!?

1998 BMW e46 323i
sometimes i wish i had aircon but the handling makes up for that

that cups a bargain

You sayin your car without air con will out handle mine? C'mon?! Cups are a little lighter, but are pleb spec biscuit tins with pretty little 172 decals that fall off. And aren't cups and non cups both still sports?

Good stuff :)

I did lol @ "Metallic Trophy Blue." in the ad. Hmm, what's the colour called ?? Err dunno, lets just make it up.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Lol, the amount of times I see 'Trophy Blue' on a 1*2 advert is crazy.... "uh, yeah mate, it's one of those really rare blue Trophy's....".

Nice one mate, looks pretty good, and a bargain if your budget has stayed put.