ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup rev limiter....

Ive clocked up 1250 miles in my cup and decided I should now use all the revs. Problem...in second gear one of two things happen. The rev limiter either cuts in at 6500 or it carries on but then when i drop the clutch and release the gas the revs stay there and the car wont come out of second gear!

I have called the dealer and they are having the car in to look at but i was wondering if anyone had a similar problem on any 172? Is fine in the other gears!

300 miles on it and rev limiter cuts at 7200rpm? I though i had the same problem - but it was just getting used to the clutchand gear change!!!

But it will stop dead at 6500 and if if runs on the revs dont stay high for a spit second..its like two or three seconds as if ive left my foot flat down.

The car is dropping to 45 by the time the revs subside

Its a clutch, throttle issue. I had the same thing when learning to drive the Clio, the Impreza and Elise are totally different in terms of pedal, gearchange feel.

I was maxing out and then changing up and the thing would rev its bollox off and sometimes I would get stuck in a gear change.

This is due in my opinion to not knowing the feel of the Clio and FBW is different, the engine being tight and holding onto the revs and not dropping off quickly and also (& I have only size 9 feet) getting my foot stuck, when depressing the clutch under the steering wheel rod which is directly above the clutch which meant that I was not depressing the clutch all the way.

Also, the seating/wheel position is pants. So I have the wheel set to the lowest position. Problem ive also found is that Ive always driven, when pressing on, with my foot resting on the clutch,,, but the clutch travel is all the way to the top so I was infact depressing part of the clutch, its very sensitive.

Give it a 1000 miles to loosen up and get used to driving it and let let everyone know.

As an example, I have not driven the Impreza for 2 weeks and when I went out on saturday, I changed from 1st to 2nd and it would not go into gear,,,, it got stuck short,,,,, it was only when I went back to neutral and then did it again,,, did I realise that I was infact in 2nd and that I had forgotten the feel of the short-shifting box I had put in the Scooby. So it just goes to show how easily and quickly you forget the feel of a car!!!! Its the same as if youve been Karting and then you get back in the car and for the 1st few miles, you think the steering is all wrong and too light, but its just your brain having adjusted for the Kart handling and steering.

172CUP

Ive noticed that the rev limiter on my 172 is set @ 6500rpm whilst cold, after 10 - 15 mins of being driven round the rev limiter raises to 7200rpm, dont know if this solves your problem, but worth bearing in mind.

Thank you 172 boy! This is what i thought but i was told it could not be that simple. I reckon the limiter is set to 6500 until the ecu thinks the car is ready to run balls out.

I was maxing out and then changing up and the thing would rev its bollox off and sometimes I would get stuck in a gear change.
Happened me yesterday mate comin on to the motorway - maxed out in 2nd and took me about 5 secs to get into 3rd safely - the revs just well reved like a bad gear change - itll take a while to learn to drive the thing Im sure - Im finding it hits the limiter too quick in every gear!

CTR EK9 turbo

Must be a fly by wire issue? maybe you have a virus affecting the ecu arrg, kernel error.....

Or maybe its the same thing that 172 boy was saying: if mine says its up to temp but has only been running for 5-8 mins the rev limiter will come on early, about 6500/800, but once fully warmed it comes in at 7200........its really annoying if you have to toast someone and cant rev high enough!!!

Quote: Originally posted by cupboy on 09 October 2002

Thank you 172 boy! This is what i thought but i was told it could not be that simple. I reckon the limiter is set to 6500 until the ecu thinks the car is ready to run balls out.
The limiter also cuts at 6500RPM in 5th gear...

CTR EK9 turbo

really?? that could be why i cant get the revs over 6500 on a long piece of abandoned airport.........

Was testing this last night and it does seem to kick in earlier when cold.

Moral of this story.....

.....Wait til your cars warmed up before you go Scooby hunting!