ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Current 3D TV Options

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Tried to do a search but needs to be 3 characters or more.

So, decent choices guys? Not looking for huge screen, I've been rocking a Panasonic 42" G10 for a couple of years now so fancy a change. 42" - 50".

Don't want cheap and nasty but certainly don't have thousands to spend either, so a good chunk under £1k would be great.

Shoot.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Panasonic txp42gt50 full HD 42" 3D £799 and it talks too.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Does anybody actually watch anything in 3D? I know several people with 3D TVs and none have ever watched a programme in 3D.

Audi S1
Does anybody actually watch anything in 3D? I know several people with 3D TVs and none have ever watched a programme in 3D.

I watch the odd movie in 3D, I have about 6-7 unopened films though. I just never have the time to watch them.

It's not just the 3D feature though, there's plenty of other benefits to a 3D TV than just 3D..

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Haha. Well, anyway, as far the 3D TV goes, I guess I'm looking at those because many of the latest models include 3D and trying to find a very, very good TV at the moment that focuses purely on 2D is difficult. 3D is like future proofing in a way, although the next big thing is obviously 4k but that's a while off and will be very expensive. For what it is, 3D is quite cheap as an addition to a 2D set, whether you use it or not.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Girlfriend has this, I think its excellent. The web applications on it are very fast and responsive.
Yeah, I have a Samsung Blu-Ray player with the samsung Smart TV software and I think I prefer the LG's. We get good use out of the Love Film, iPlayer, YouTube and Plex Media Client on it.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Most 3D tv's have Internet access built into them. When I was looking for a new tv the 3D ones where the only ones with built in wi-fi and HD free sat / free view which most 2D don't have.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
The problem with 3D (hell, and I'm the one that asked for recommendations) is that I'd then have to upgrade to Sky 3D (I already have HD in fairness and the Sky World package), plus a 3D BluRay player. All for maybe a few footbal games a month and a movie or two if I can be bothered.

I think 3D will pick up on a lot more channels soon but at the moment it seems to have a died down a bit as people just aren't as interested as first thought.

Saying that, the TX-P50GT50 hasn't had a bad review yet. Does seem like a fantastic TV.

Audi S1
lol, like what exactly?

LOL I want to hear the benefits a 3d TV has over a 2D Tv apart from 3D.

Haha. Well, anyway, as far the 3D TV goes, I guess I'm looking at those because many of the latest models include 3D and trying to find a very, very good TV at the moment that focuses purely on 2D is difficult. 3D is like future proofing in a way, although the next big thing is obviously 4k but that's a while off and will be very expensive. For what it is, 3D is quite cheap as an addition to a 2D set, whether you use it or not.

One thing that springs to mind is contrast ratio. My Samsung for example compared to non-3D TV's at the time beat any other TV on the market.

Yeah lets all laugh now...

I'm sure there's plenty more "tech" differences between the two which aren't solely just for 3D.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
One thing that springs to mind is contrast ratio. My Samsung for example compared to non-3D TV's at the time beat any other TV on the market.

I'm sure there's plenty more "tech" differences between the two which aren't solely just for 3D.

I wasn't laughing at that. I was laughing at the vultures. Peck peck peck.

Audi S1
Most 3D tv's have Internet access built into them. When I was looking for a new tv the 3D ones where the only ones with built in wi-fi and HD free sat / free view which most 2D don't have.

This was another benefit of a 3D over a 2D TV back when I was looking. May not apply now.

Audi S1
I wasn't laughing at that. I was laughing at the vultures. Peck peck peck.

You're forgiven x

But seriously, if you love films then get one. They're awesome. I don't use mine for sport though, I just find it weird. Feel like a bit of a fool going crazy at the TV with 3D glasses on lol.

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio

OK i apologise. I thought we were on about specifics between 2D and 3D not the actual TVs you could get. We were obviously going to get better spec TVs with 3D than non 3D tvs as its the new technology.

Rav4
I wish Pioneer would resume manufacturing the Kuro plasma sets. Sublime pieces of kit :(

A man with sense.

I still have my 6 year old 43" Plasma, don't want to get rid of it. Need to upgrade thought. If only they would resume, I would buy one straight away.

LX5090/6090 were my fabs.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
The GT series and certainly a few of the new Panasonic's have pretty much mactched the Kuro screens now.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
The Panny 2013 range is supposed to be the first Kuro killer.

The 2012 range were "nearly" there but just fell short.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
  UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Cracking deal

Yeah, no wonder Dalzell's pulled the plug on that. LOL.

Oh, and the Kuro is Pioneer's range of plasma screens. Many believe they've still to be bettered even today, years after Pioneer stopped making them.

I think Kuro means black or dark in Japanese.

Rav4
Yeah, no wonder Dalzell's pulled the plug on that. LOL.

Oh, and the Kuro is Pioneer's range of plasma screens. Many believe they've still to be bettered even today, years after Pioneer stopped making them.

I think Kuro means black or dark in Japanese.

It does indeed.

That is a BRILLIANT tv that you have just purchased, excellent. Let us know how you get on.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Great deal mate.

Check for signs of a single band on the right hand side of the screed, most visible during football).

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Great deal mate.

Check for signs of a single band on the right hand side of the screed, most visible during football).

Yeah been reading the threads on AVF. Seems no TV at all is without its negatives. So many great sets slated by folk.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Yeah been reading the threads on AVF. Seems no TV at all is without its negatives. So many great sets slated by folk.

Yeah, mine has it but I'm actually used to it now so very rarely see it :).

Not a deal breaker by any means but I can understand why it is for some.